Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converted to SimBin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Converted to SimBin

So, I just got a new laptop and thought that it was deserving of just a few games before it got overloaded with apps for school. I got the usual FPS games and then saw this game called Race 07 by SimBin (the guys that do GTR). It was only $10 so what the hell. Now, I'm used to playing console racers like Forza 2 and the GT series but I don't think I'll be going back to those for a while after this game. The realism factor is very impressive (practice, quali, flags, good AI, great physics, fun tracks, etc.). It goes so far in realism that you'll have to remove those plastic covers over your helmet because of debris. I especially like the single seater experience. Plus the old GT4 Logitech wheel works on it so that made the fun factor go up a notch.

The graphics aren't state of the art but that is completely overshadowed by the physical realism and quality put into it. Professional setting is way intense, I'm pretty sure I spent nearly 2 hours in the F3000 going around Monza just to get the hang of the torque, over steer, and lack of TCS. I might sound like a fan boy now, but I have never had an experience like this in a racing game before.

After way too many hours playing this than I should have I can safely say that for only $10 at BestBuy I would highly recommend this game. Just make sure you have a wheel and pedals though.
    Last edited by LTSmash; 01-06-2009 at 02:16 AM.

If you see GT Legends anywhere, grab it. Same guys, same realism, old school touring cars. Excellent fun. I believe there was a GTR2 version released that had it as a pack in. Why it's not on Steam I have no idea...

Kind of want to buy it now, probably need a better computer though.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

You can also get GTR EVO and download the GTR Legends mod. Fun stuff no doubt!

I recently started playing GTR Evo aswell. I'm hooked. So far I've only driven the Alfa 156 WTCC car. Definitely the best racing simulation game I've played. My computer really ain't up for the job though, I have to run lowest graphics settings. But that doesn't really matter, it's the physics and realism that makes it so good.

I got a bundle that also includes Race07, but I havn't had time to check it out yet. I'm definitely getting a Logitech G25 when I head for university in a couple of days
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

due to computer capabilities, I can't play fluidly GTR2, but even at the lowest settings it was plenty of fun.
    Even the first GTR was astonishing.
    the console simulators aren't really up to the job against such games.
    even if I found the physics of S.C.A.R. and Enthusia pretty realistic and surely way better than what you have in any chapter of the GT series, they always lack of something, or perhaps exceed in something.
    The problem of Enthusia is the lack of sensitivity, so even if the car is reacting naturally to your dumb maneuvers, you need to know that, because the game itself, the car, isn't going to tell you something about that, and before of getting used to that you will pass a lot of time thinking the car is reacting too quickly and without a real reason to what you did.
    SCAR instead is nearly perfect from that point of view.
    if Enthusia allowed you to improve the level of the car among 10 predefined levels based on your driving skills, SCAR improves the ability of the driver himself, so the car is always going to be "stock".
    on the last races of the campaign, you will need to actually modify the pressure (PS2) of the brakes and throttle buttons, in order to prevent the wheels to lock on hard brakes (assuming you are going to deactivate ABS) or to spin when exiting a low speed corner or even on small imperfections of the road.
    the problem of both games is the short life, even if to be honest, even GT4 has a short life, since a lot of races are there just to enlarge the numbers of activities available, but I guess no one was really interested in racing a Toyota Yaris, just as an example, especially because fwd cars are badly simulated.

after all PC simulators are way better than console ones, the thing is you really need a full spec computer to enjoy the experience.
    back in the days, I purchased the first Need For Speed, the original with the 512TR, the Diablo VT or the Corvette ZR-1 among other.
    I was running in on a 486 machine, with a decent graphic.
    one day I tried it at the computer the bro was using at job, I think it was a 200 MHz or something. The game was like a new one, completely different and even more intriguing.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I enjoy all racing sims, but seeing as I don't have a pad or a wheel for my PC, I sortta stay away from them, hehe!

The arrow keys just don't cut it anymore!

GT Legends is eminently playable with a twin thumbstick joypad, one for steering, one for accel/brake. Just like the ol' remote control cars. I played it like that on a plane for a while.. until the battery in my laptop ran out. Not sure about the sims with modern cars though.

yeah, i have Race07, although I have no wheel. its really no fun without a wheel. its not good when youre playing it on a keyboard.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Anybody up for a online race?

Name the sim, Knuto. Every so often we have a burst of enthusiasm.
    If you have a search you'll find the antics of the UCP sim race team.
    Been quiet this year tho'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Name the sim, Knuto. Every so often we have a burst of enthusiasm.
    If you have a search you'll find the antics of the UCP sim race team.
    Been quiet this year tho'
    Yeah I remember some years ago there was a team with it's own UCP team livery. How about a GTR Evo. WTCC at Zandvoort?

HATE the sharp right/left at Zandvoort .. it's a kart track
    But sounds a plan. Need to clear my decks of work and dig out the G25. See who else we can turn up "for fun" ......

Hehe OK. It was the last race I finished so I just named it because I've learnt the track. Which track do you prefer?

It would be nice if we had a larger number of entries yes

And for the record I'm not that good yet

You could set the race up with some 30 minute practice sessions in the lobby and PM us the password.

Thread Information