Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: soviets offering aid in afghanistan...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Excellent point.

Apparently it's only mature if you use advanced words to insult/degrade your debating opponent but any silly words and it is immature.
    I wish you reread the sequence of remarks first before you utter your soooo considerate opinion.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    Agreed, with the U.S. gone, the Russians could do what they please there. All biases aside, for good or for worse, the US was not trying to take the country over or take its resources, Russia however has a bit of a grudge with former USSR principalities....

Things could get ugly
    the resources the Kyrgyz Republic has are hardly worth the trouble. There is some gold, (and a Canadian mining company is one of the operators there) and further to that they have tourism and hydropower. Last year they sold all the water to Uzbekistan in exchange for gas during the summer, ran out of water in the winter and had to apply electricity cuts. And I can confirm it is a beautiful country. Apart from the above there is poverty and lots of. GDP consists for 50% of foreign aid.
    Russia simply considers these countries their backyard. Having a US base in Manas (the Civil Airport of the capital Bishkek) is tantamount to the Russians having a base in Cuba or Venezuela.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-05-2009 at 12:51 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I wish you reread the sequence of remarks first before you utter your soooo considerate opinion.
    I did but you're just digging your own grave here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I did but you're just digging your own grave here.
    Read the very first post of this thread once again....in particular the PS.

"PS: I know Canadians are not stupid, but I like to call them stupid Canadians, so I call them stupid Canadians..(and I now I am entitled to engage in a discussion about Canadians...)" (I could have set up a similar analogy about Germans and Nazis of course...)

If Mr. RJ had simply avoided the use of the word "Soviet" we could have had a civilised discussion. Yet he decided to throw in again his old concepts just to be funny.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-05-2009 at 02:37 AM.

PUtting an other-side view to balance the FOX News inevitable approach ....
    Krygs: We do not want the American base here but have had to for an extra 3 years because we are poor.
    Russia: Let us help out neighbour. Here have aid to replace what you will lose when they go.
    Krygs: thanks

American right wing panic, Russia tells the US not to panic and that they are willing to assist in Afghanistan so America calms down. Fox news can't possibly report russia benevolence nor American right wing paranoia, so comes up with their headline
    ( ^^^^ this is 50% humorous angle on it )

WHY would Russia send troops in ? THe base was for logistics support. RUssia could do the lifts, make one of there bases available or a million other things than the bogeyman Fox story However, given the US right now can't even be open and honest and share with it's allies then no chance of that every happening imho. Shame coz it makes sense in international co-operation.

Your second para 100% , cmc, just the first one ... hmmmm

Russian help in Afganistan with one condition: No Ukraine or/and Georgia in NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Russian help in Afganistan with one condition: No Ukraine or/and Georgia in NATO.
    and some revisions to the proposed missile shields in Poland and Czechia. The USA and Russia might try to achieve agreement about the real purpose of these shields (Iran and North Korea).

So does Putin ever come up for re-election?

As for aid to Afghanistan....Basically Harmid Karzai is a corrupt oil-company figurehead who, in the rush to install democracy.exe into Afghanistan's HDD, became a fatal exception.

Now, because the effects of "Democracy" aren't being felt at a grass roots level, and you essentially need to bribe everyone if you want to do something remotely connected with the government, the people are realising nothing has changed.

How much will change with Russias help I have no idea. but technically it's a friendly ally of the west now. or something.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    If Mr. RJ had simply avoided the use of the word "Soviet" we could have had a civilised discussion. Yet he decided to throw in again his old concepts just to be funny.
    thats the point, just to be funny. everyone else can handle it, as ive said before on here several times, toughen up. Let your skin get a little thicker, it wasn't a big deal untill you made it one.

also, mostly besides the exchanges between you and I, the discussion has been civilized and on topic. So if you didn't get so fussy the entire discussion would probably be civilized.

im sure i could have made the same comment about canadians that you said previously and I'd be willing to bet he would know i was kidding around and it wouldn't be an issue. Real world buddy, you gotta live in it, it seems like everyone else does.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    PUtting an other-side view to balance the FOX News inevitable approach ....
    Krygs: We do not want the American base here but have had to for an extra 3 years because we are poor.
    Russia: Let us help out neighbour. Here have aid to replace what you will lose when they go.

American right wing panic, Russia tells the US not to panic and that they are willing to assist in Afghanistan so America calms down. Fox news can't possibly report russia benevolence nor American right wing paranoia, so comes up with their headline
    ( ^^^^ this is 50% humorous angle on it )

WHY would Russia send troops in ? THe base was for logistics support. RUssia could do the lifts, make one of there bases available or a million other things than the bogeyman Fox story However, given the US right now can't even be open and honest and share with it's allies then no chance of that every happening imho. Shame coz it makes sense in international co-operation.

Your second para 100% , cmc, just the first one ... hmmmm
    I think just the idea of of ANY help from russia to the US, no matter how significant or the motives behind it, would just serve as amunition to every terrorist organisation in the world.

Not to mention the Afgan people. its not like they forgot, it was barelly 20 years ago they fought the USSR, and so they will not see cooperation with russia in very good eyes.

I think The US should stay away, or at least be very low profile about it, from any cooperation with the russians in the afgan situation.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    how many horsepowers did the drill you use to dig through the mine of political BS in order to come up with this amazing simplification. again, beauty in simplicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    I think just the idea of of ANY help from russia to the US, no matter how significant or the motives behind it, would just serve as amunition to every terrorist organisation in the world.
    damn never thought about it this way. kind of a machiavellian thought but very true.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    thats the point, just to be funny.
    I think you have to start realising where jokes may fail. Apart from that, if you just make your points in a normal way, we can have a proper discussion. As you may know, or not, I have spent much time in that area during more than ten years, so there might be an opportunity to pick up some points.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    Not to mention the Afgan people. its not like they forgot, it was barelly 20 years ago they fought the USSR, and so they will not see cooperation with russia in very good eyes.
    The irony of course being that the people who fought the Russians (with US support) are now the main opponents.

Thread Information