Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite engine?

Small block chevy for sure.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I figure I would add a few to an already long and great list of motors.

Ford Kent in race form: This isn't an impressive motor but thanks to growing up around Formula Ford racecars it's one of my favorites. I simply love the sound of an FF with a megaphone exhaust.

Drake-Offenhouser I4: It's hard not to love perhaps the most successful race engine of all time. This thing dates back to the 1930s and was one of the dominant race engines in the US from the 1950s through the 1970s. They last ran Indy in the 1980s. Before boost was limited they could produce upwards of 1500hp.

Ford 2.5L Duratec SVT: This is a personal favorite of mine. In Europe this same motor was used in the Gen 1 Mondeo ST200. The Duratec V6 was light, happy to rev and sounded great. The character of the engine was not unlike the 2.5L flat 6 in the early Boxster. The exhaust note was one of Ford's best. It was a mix of high reving V6 and Ford Mustang V8. Some motors rev up to 7000 RPM but complain the whole way up. This motor was smooth all the way. I used to hit the rev limiter a lot since the motor was just so happy to climb up the tach. It also looked great with the cross over manifold on top and was one of the lightest 6 cylinder engines at the time.

Ford 3.0L DOHC V6 SHO: Here's one the Europeans never got and it's certainly their loss. This gem of a motor came out in 1989 and produced 220hp. It had great character and made the Taurus SHO a very quick car for the time. It I think it also one of the best looking modern motors. Modern Ferrari motors aren't all that interesting in comparison. This was Ford's original bundle of snakes intake manifold. Of course credit where due, the heads and intake were designed by Yamaha. Rumor has it the motor was originally designed for a still born sports car project.

And finally a note about the Chevy LSx family of small block V8s. I believe they are one the best motors of modern times. Sometimes they don't get the credit they are due because people see a big displacement number and think low specific power thus not impressive. That's not really fair given that the motors produce great power for their weight, are very compact (not much bigger than a typical larger displacement I4) are quite efficient for their power.
    However, they aren't on my favorite list. I'm just not in love with them. I respect and will defend the motor but from a character POV, I think Ford V8s are better even though the Ford motors (the recent 5.0 excluded) have been heavier, larger and typically less powerful. This is after a thread about what we LIKE not what we think is the BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeaterblk08 View Post

wrong you can put the lsx series which is the newest version of sbc's in practically anything..i did it with a rx7, ive seen miatas,rx8,datsun240zs,300zx,any old school muscle car,ae86(crazy i know) 240sx aka silvia,subaru wrx, supra,350z, skyline...so pretty much anything oh and it makes massive power(AND TORQUE) AND DOESNT weigh alot
    Anything is not equal to what can be bought in the american market
    I have yet to see a Toyota Aygo conversion....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Ford 3.0L DOHC V6 SHO: Here's one the Europeans never got and it's certainly their loss. This gem of a motor came out in 1989 and produced 220hp. It had great character and made the Taurus SHO a very quick car for the time.
    we will be getting a nw Taurus SHO as a courtesy car in a couple of weeks. How do you rate that engine?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    we will be getting a nw Taurus SHO as a courtesy car in a couple of weeks. How do you rate that engine?
    No idea, I've never driven it. From what I gather in reviews the motor is a turbo (or was it twin turbo), DI V6 that seems on par with similar motors from Audi. Basically the reviews are really positive but they feel like the new car is just a big car, not a real sports sedan as the original SHO was. My understanding is the new motor also lacks the charisma of the old motor. I mean look at the old motor then tell me how excited you get about this:

Of course charisma is like SAAB character, some people love it, others find it annoying. I'm guessing the car is a lot like the fast Volvos. It generates numbers that says it's just as fast as a BMW but probably not as ultimately satisfying to drive. At the same time I was happier in the back seat of a Volvo 850 than a BMW 530 of the same age. Either way, the car is big, much bigger than anything I would be interested in these days. Something like the old SAAB 9000 hatch would be just about perfect sized for me.

Here's a C&D review:
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO - Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
    Last edited by culver; 07-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.

OK, thanks for that, but what is the value of a review that considers as a negative point that the car "is occasionally too adult for us"

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Ford 3.0L DOHC V6 SHO: Here's one the Europeans never got and it's certainly their loss. This gem of a motor came out in 1989 and produced 220hp. It had great character and made the Taurus SHO a very quick car for the time. It I think it also one of the best looking modern motors. Modern Ferrari motors aren't all that interesting in comparison. This was Ford's original bundle of snakes intake manifold. Of course credit where due, the heads and intake were designed by Yamaha. Rumor has it the motor was originally designed for a still born sports car project.
    Don't know if it's the same engine or not, but we did get a 24v 3-litre in the last gen Mondeo ST220.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

that SHO V6 was designed by yamaha wasn't it? i've heard they go great when dropped into mx-5s.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Don't know if it's the same engine or not, but we did get a 24v 3-litre in the last gen Mondeo ST220.
    from what I read the Mondeo engine was derived from the Duratec engine, producing just over 200 BHP in the Taurus, but 226 in the Mondeo after further tuning.
    In the mean time the V6 SHO engine had been replaced by a V8 version for the third generation Taurus, (1993-1996) and poor sales made the SHO monniker diasppear when the fourth generation (1996) came on the market.
    So to answer your question, it is not the original Yamaha engine in "our" Mondeo.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    that SHO V6 was designed by yamaha wasn't it? i've heard they go great when dropped into mx-5s.
    The top end was Yamaha, the bottom was Ford. I've never heard of the motor fitting in a Miata but it did make it into an Austin Healey...
    Norman Rest's 1956 Austin Healey 100 with Ford SHO V6 Engine

Best use of the Ford/Yamaha SHO engine ever:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_zEPRMYK4A]YouTube - SHOGUN With NOS!!!! Jay Leno's Garage![/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Best use of the Ford/Yamaha SHO engine ever:
    and then Renault came with the Clio V6....

Rolls-Royce Allison 250 Gas turbine.

0.003 cc
    320 bhp @ 52,000 rpm
    60,000 rpm redline
    450 lb/ft torque
    20,000 rpm tickover
    Diesel

I am the most humble person in the world and no one is going to tell me otherwise.

How is it's capacity only 0.003 ccs? That I feel is incorrect, unless they are measuring capacity in some very strange way - and I know it's different for turbines.

0.003 ccs makes absolutely no sense at all.

The decimal needs to be moved to the right a bit... not to mention 20,000 RPM is a bit more than "tickover".
    And it just burns diesel. Or nearly anything like it, like kerosene.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information