Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big brother is watching you !!! a it too literally... have they gone too far ???

Big brother is watching you !!! a it too literally... have they gone too far ???

can you give an executive summary? i cant view the page for some reason...
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

GOVERNMENT AND COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS CAUGHT INSTALLING HARD-WIRED KEYSTROKE LOGGERS INTO ALL NEW LAPTOP COMPUTERS!
    Devices capture everything you ever type, then can send it via your ethernet card to the Dept. of Homeland Security without your knowledge, consent or a search warrant each time you log onto the internet!
    Freedom Of Information Act Requests For Explanation From DHS, refused.

I was opening up my almost brand new laptop, to replace a broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard connection underneath a piece of metal protecting the motherboard.

I figured "No Big Deal", and continued with the dissasembly. But when I got the metal panels off, I saw a small white heatshink-wrapped package. Being ever-curious, I sliced the heatshrink open. I found a little circuit board inside.

Being an EE by trade, this piqued my curiosity considerably. On one side of the board, one Atmel AT45D041A four megabit Flash memory chip.

On the other side, one Microchip Technology PIC16F876 Programmable Interrupt Controller, along with a little Fairchild Semiconductor CD4066BCM quad bilateral switch.

Looking further, I saw that the other end of the cable was connected to the integrated ethernet board.

What could this mean? I called the manufacturer's tech support about it, and they said, and I quote, "The intregrated service tag identifier is there for assisting customers in the event of lost or misplaced personal information." He then hung up.

A little more research, and I found that that board spliced in between the keyboard and the ethernet chip is little more than a Keyghost hardware keylogger.

The reasons a computer manufacturer would put this in their laptops can only be left up to your imagination. It would be very impractical to hand-anylze the logs, and very CPU-intensive to do so on a computer for every person that purchased a laptop. Why are these keyloggers here? I recently almost found out.

I called the police, as having a keylogger unknown to me in my laptop is a serious offense. They told me to call the Department of Homeland Security. At this point, I am in disbelief. Why would the DHS have a keylogger in my laptop? It was surreal.

So I called them, and they told me to submit a Freedom of Information Act request. This is what I got back: .

Under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) the only items exempt from public disclosure are items relating to "law enforcement tools and techniques" and "items relating to national security."

The real life implications of this are plain: Computer manufacturers appear to be cooperating with the Department of Homeland Security to make every person who buys a new computer subject to immediate, unrestricted government recording of everything they do on those computers! EVERYTHING!

This information can be sent to DHS, online, without your knowledge or consent, without a search warrant or even probable cause! That's why this device is hard-wired directly into the ethernet card, which communicates over the internet!

I am not certain how long this information will be permitted to remain online for all the world to see before the government takes some type of action to attempt to have it removed from public view. I URGE you to take copy of this page immediately and spread this information to everyone you know immediately! The more people who find out about this, the more can protect themselves and raise a HUGE outcry to force government and computer manufacturers to immediately CEASE installing these devices in new computers!
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

That will prolly be debunked as untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    That will prolly be debunked as untrue.
    or maybe not ??
    http://www.fcw.com:8443/article74870
    Don't underestimate what lengths the governments want to go to to keep tabs on us.
    I've delivered systems used by these guys
    They ARE officially the scariest people around - and I've spent time in pubs in Glasgow, Belfast and Rio !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That sucks.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    They ARE officially the scariest people around - and I've spent time in pubs in Glasgow, Belfast and Rio !!
    There's always the Mafia

The Mafia and Mafiya are almost void of the TRUE visciousness they possesed years ago. This however, doesnt surprise me, i read an article on www.GuerrillaNews.com, if any of you are interested, saying the same thing, its part of that bullshit Patriot Act imposed by paraniod Bush. Its already been brainwashed into the population that people are out to get you and sutff like this will make you safer, when it wont, reading intelligence reports makes us safer, but Bush doesnt beilieve that one...

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    There's always the Mafia
    I don't think mafia cares a shit what you're doing on youre computer...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

I wonder if they can decifer typos on my laptop....

I'm not really sure what to make of this. I have friends who work at the Pentagon and CIA, and I can vouch for the fact that they're far too overworked and underfunded to be able to possibly ever monitor the amounts of information that such a piece of hardware would generate.

^^^ if your frind really works for the CIA that you don't know about it seeing as before the interview process starts, they make it very clear that only your immediate family and your parents are permitted to know where you work or what you do.

i know this because i went to one of their recruiting sessions at my school last week and they were telling us about it. there's also tons of legal documents you sign saying you won't tell. so either or your friend is in breach of contract

i can see the red text flying now....

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoesntknow
    ^^^ if your frind really works for the CIA that you don't know about it seeing as before the interview process starts, they make it very clear that only your immediate family and your parents are permitted to know where you work or what you do.

i know this because i went to one of their recruiting sessions at my school last week and they were telling us about it. there's also tons of legal documents you sign saying you won't tell. so either [BS] or your friend is in breach of contract

i can see the red text flying now....

She's an analyst, not a spook. If she were a spook, you would be correct, but she sits in a cube all day processing information and data. *shrug*

I don't really need you to believe me.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 10-13-2005 at 09:52 PM.

and typically when people say "i can vouch for the fact that blah blah blah" their about to feed you bs with a side of ketchup.

and i coulda told you the state of their finances and funding. its called public information.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoesntknow
    and typically when people say "i can vouch for the fact that blah blah blah" their about to feed you bs with a side of ketchup.

and i coulda told you the state of their finances and funding. its called public information.

Thread Information