Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soviets offering aid in afghanistan...

soviets offering aid in afghanistan...

FOXNews.com - Russia's Actions Conflict with Promise to Aid U.S. in Afghanistan - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

interesting move on moscow's part. if they are serious about it and not just doing a power play (which is what it looks like) they could be a useful ally in the area. i think it would be easier for the russians logistically to maintain operations in afghanistan especially if the countries neighboring afghanistan help out

i wonder what the afghan's would think about having the ruskies back in there though. and i wonder if russia can even handle it right now.

anyone have any thoughts?

ps...i know the russians arent the soviets anymore but its still fun to say just for fun.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Fox news again: Ex Soviet Republic of Kyrgyzstan....
    That country is now named the Kyrgyz Republic. The Manas air base hosts transport and tanker planes. (been there, seen it). It is perfectly logical that the Russians want the Americans out. (They are still in neighbouring Tajikistan).

PS: The PS to your post is quite revealing......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

yay henk4!

i wasn't talking at all about them asking for the base to be removed or anything like that so im not sure why you are talking about it. the whole point of my post was talking about the russians offering to help out in afghanistan and whether it was for real and how that would work out. thanks for not answering as usual though.

PS: what does my ps reveal? that i like to joke around? GASP!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    yay henk4!

i wasn't talking at all about them asking for the base to be removed or anything like that so im not sure why you are talking about it.
    It is simple, the Russians want the Americans out, the Americans are now paying for the use of the base. (the only one left in the region as Karymov kicked them out a couple of years ago). Russia compensates the Kyrgyz and there you go. It has nothing to do with Russia willing to assist the Americans in Afghanistan, not ever since they had to fight the American supported Taliban in the past. Hope that answers you.
    And if you want to seriously talk about geopolitics, leave your jokes at home. They make you look childish.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    And if you want to seriously talk about geopolitics, leave your jokes at home. They make you look childish.
    REEEEEERRR!!! you ok today big guy? a little grumpy? seems like you have a little catitude

you still didn't really answer. the point is that the russians say they want to help out in afghanistan. and im wondering what they can do, because they could be very helpful given their proximity. but if they deploy troops, i wonder if the average afgan might not like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 02-04-2009 at 02:25 PM.

REEEEEERRR!!! you ok today big guy? a little grumpy? seems like you have a little catitude
    another prime example of mature discussion techniques...please carry on, it is becoming amusing in spite of it.

Fox news again: Ex Soviet Republic of Kyrgyzstan....
    That country is now named the Kyrgyz Republic. The Manas air base hosts transport and tanker planes. (been there, seen it). It is perfectly logical that the Russians want the Americans out. (They are still in neighbouring Tajikistan).
    Agreed, with the U.S. gone, the Russians could do what they please there. All biases aside, for good or for worse, the US was not trying to take the country over or take its resources, Russia however has a bit of a grudge with former USSR principalities....

Things could get ugly

another prime example of mature discussion techniques...please carry on, it is becoming amusing in spite of it.
    out of curiosity, is the constant uttering of snide, sarcastic, off topic remarks prime examples of mature discussion techniques?

will that give us a real Rambo 4, Better Timmothy Dolton James Bonds and a new Macgyver?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I like the word Soviets in the title...

i think the russian government outta worry about things irrelated to afghanistan right now...
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

out of curiosity, is the constant uttering of snide, sarcastic, off topic remarks prime examples of mature discussion techniques?
    Excellent point.

Apparently it's only mature if you use advanced words to insult/degrade your debating opponent but any silly words and it is immature.

ladies, please...

OT: i think this would be about as well recieved, as if the US army offered to go perform peacekeeping/military policing in, say, Vietnam.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    OT: i think this would be about as well recieved, as if the US army offered to go perform peacekeeping/military policing in, say, Vietnam.
    i assume you are talking about from the afghan people right? thats kind of what im thinking. but i think our boys and our other allies helping out over there would welcome the help, and to be honest i think it serves russia's interests to have a stable afghanistan so nearby

by buying off the Kyrgs to kick america out, and then offering to help in afghanistan, is just a way for an increasingly aggressive russia to try and reassert themselves as a regional hegemon.

is it an outright challenge to the US? not really. the kyrgs gave essentially a 2 year lease to the US, and that was 5 years ago. the kyrgs have played along nicely, but are now ready fot the US to be out anyway. so its is merely a move by russia to assert an economic force of kyrgystan and a potential military presence in afghanistan.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information