Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why You Should Own A Corvette

Why You Should Own A Corvette

I recently saw an episode of Top Gear that featured the new Corvette. Clarkson didn't exactly give it much praise, but then I remembered how much he loved it in a different episode. Anyway, this led me to blogging about the car in a post called Little Red Corvette

What do you make of the relatively cheap and light-weight powerhouse?

I think it's great value for money. The Viper is a cooler car but it's at least another 30k more.

If you want the most horsepower per dollar I don't think you can do much better outside of modifications.

A standard Corvette is a great performance value. You can't do much better than a Corvette, especially when you consider the reliability factor.

I like them -- some more than others -- and agree that they offer more of one thing: performance. However, creature comforts, build/material quality, and interior design... let's be real, they're Vettes. You can almost get a rather more sophisticated interior in a 10 year old Polo.

Don't take this as me bashing them. It's not.
    Last edited by Rasmus; 05-19-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I like them -- some more than others -- and agree that they offer more of one thing: performance. However, creature comforts, build/material quality, and interior design... let's be real, they're Vettes. You can almost get a rather more sophisticated interior in a 10 year old Polo.

Don't take this as me bashing them. It's not.
    Required creature comforts these days are highly overrated. If a car does not have tons of electronic gismos it is considered to be spartan. My car has several buttons that I never touch, because it is related to a "menu", which is a thing I want to see in a restaurant. The car does have an oil temperature gauge though, which is far more important.

So if the Corvette's interior concentrates on the driving of a car, rather than making a lot of fuss about sound systems, navigational stuff or bluetooth things, than it would consider that to be great plus.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Required creature comforts these days are highly overrated. If a car does not have tons of electronic gismos it is considered to be spartan. My car has several buttons that I never touch, because it is related to a "menu", which is a thing I want to see in a restaurant. The car does have an oil temperature gauge though, which is far more important.

So if the Corvette's interior concentrates on the driving of a car, rather than making a lot of fuss about sound systems, navigational stuff or bluetooth things, than it would consider that to be great plus.
    I'm not arguing that the intended purpose doesn't defeat the expected functionality. I am, however, saying that everything evens out; you gain in performance, and you get an interior that's below standard.

Case in point, the C6 seats -- regardless of model -- are not meant to hold anything or anyone when maneuvering a corner at even a remotely fresh pace. The C5 interior, especially, is a squeaking travesty of flimsy plastic engineering with often broken retaining tabs.

Again, not bashing the Corvettes -- we have 3 of them. I'm simply stating the obvious.

I'm with you on the buttons though. Why designers abandoned knobs and substituted buttons, I don't know. Don't get me started on the newer Mustangs. In a daily driver, however, everything changes. I do like my creature comforts in that case, but I still am easily overwhelmed by the plethora of buttons found in most newer vehicles.

I'm not arguing that the intended purpose doesn't defeat the expected functionality. I am, however, saying that everything evens out; you gain in performance, and you get an interior that's below standard.

Case in point, the C6 seats -- regardless of model -- are not meant to hold anything or anyone when maneuvering a corner at even a remotely fresh pace. The C5 interior, especially, is a squeaking travesty of flimsy plastic engineering with often broken retaining tabs.

Again, not bashing the Corvettes -- we have 3 of them. I'm simply stating the obvious.

I'm with you on the buttons though. Why designers abandoned knobs and substituted buttons, I don't know. Don't get me started on the newer Mustangs. In a daily driver, however, everything changes. I do like my creature comforts in that case, but I still am easily overwhelmed by the plethora of buttons found in most newer vehicles.
    so putting a couple of Recaros would solve the problems?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes, it could, but you could also make a slow car fast. My point stands: you gain some performance, you lose something elsewhere. Granted, some issues are easier to remedy than others, making some cars better platforms to begin with.

Wife put a set of Corbeau A4 seats in her C5, and they're miles better than stock, however, the main driver for doing so was a broken driver's seat -- see previous point on shitty C5 interiors. I'm not touching my 427 C6 yet. If I were to one day replace the seats, I'd get fixed backs.

Yes, it could, but you could also make a slow car fast. My point stands: you gain some performance, you lose something elsewhere. Granted, some issues are easier to remedy than others, making some cars better platforms to begin with.

Wife put a set of Corbeau A4 seats in her C5, and they're miles better than stock, however, the main driver for doing so was a broken driver's seat -- see previous point on shitty C5 interiors. I'm not touching my 427 C6 yet. If I were to one day replace the seats, I'd get fixed backs.
    proper seats are not a factory option then? Anyway, for the value for money (certainly in North America) nothing would beat a Corvette. (Prices of a Nissan GTR are much higher I suppose?)

Unfortunately not, no. My C6 has the later, updated seats, and they're not much better than those in my friend's early ZR1. They have a bit better upper seat back bolsters, but bottom bolsters are the same. They share the same base.

The same applies to C7 seats; both the stock seats, and the "sportier" Competition seats, with their snazzy carbon inlays, share the same base.

I blame it on the average Corvette buyer being a comfortable fellow.

Anyway, for the value of money, and all-out, easily attainable performance, no, the Corvette still reigns supreme with the yanks. That said, it is funny that you should mention the GTR, as I was considering one; they're very comparable from certain viewpoints. When talking about new car prices, a GTR is up there above the C6 Z06 and below the ZR1 (not accounting for the C7 Z06 yet as final pricing hasn't materialized), depending on spec levels. Used car prices, the situation changes a little, but you can generally find a Z06 for a little less than a GTR of the same model year.

If performance is to be relative to driving skill, I believe that an unskilled driver would be faster in a GTR than a Z06, with the roles quickly reversed with a little experience. As previously mentioned, two very comparable cars, despite being so fundamentally different.

could it be that the average Corvette client in NA would not even fit in a proper seat?
    Anyway, I mentioned the GTR as the "normal" comparison, the 911, is certainly inferior value for money wise.

I don't think it's body size as much as it's the perceived level of comfort. The C7 has slightly tighter seats and interior space, and it has been commented on ad nauseum on various Corvette forums.

The 911, yes, is most definitely viewed as an expensive exotic amongst most people here. I still consider it a domestic.

I don't think it's body size as much as it's the perceived level of comfort. The C7 has slightly tighter seats and interior space, and it has been commented on ad nauseum on various Corvette forums.
    I guess there is a large population among Corvette owners that see the car as a boulevard cruiser, rather than something that you would actually like to go fast in...

Apropos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LXRHywt8bY"]Regular Car Reviews: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm totally OK with 'Vettes, but I don't want one.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I guess there is a large population among Corvette owners that see the car as a boulevard cruiser, rather than something that you would actually like to go fast in...
    It's a source of pride for many Americans, very much like the Shelby following; the ones who will spend a boatload of money for a Ford, just because it says Shelby on a plaque somewhere.

Out of the two groups, I have found base C6 and 06-08 Shelby GT owners to be the worst; the Z06/ZR1 and base Mustang GT crowds are generally just car people of various sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Apropos.

I'm totally OK with 'Vettes, but I don't want one.
    Brilliant video! Thanks for the laugh!

Thread Information