Page 437 of 470 FirstFirst ... 337387427435436437438439447 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 7050

Thread: The "I just saw a...." thread

Fiat 500s are all over Toronto. It would seem as though they are selling well here, if not in the US.

Sydney, Australia - in a Castle in the Hills
    As I finally got around to downloading the photos from my phone, here's some of what I've seen over the last six weeks or so:

Photo001 by Frances H Mitchell, on Flickr

Photo005 by Frances H Mitchell, on Flickr

Photo004 by Frances H Mitchell, on Flickr

Photo008 by Frances H Mitchell, on Flickr

Photo007 by Frances H Mitchell, on Flickr

A new 1 series BMW, looks better in the flesh than it does in pictures.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    A USAAF-painted DC3/C47 taking off from our airport.

3 Blackhawk helicopters in medic livery refuelling here as well.

If there's no interesting cars, we might as well have some interesting aircraft today
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    A USAAF-painted DC3/C47 taking off from our airport.

3 Blackhawk helicopters in medic livery refuelling here as well.

If there's no interesting cars, we might as well have some interesting aircraft today
    In that case, although not really today, but still interesting...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I love aircraft sightings.

There's an Ikea next to an airport in Elizabeth, NJ and when we visit I love going to the cafe because the vantage point is high enough to see most of Newark Airport.

henk, I don't recognize that one. I'm not as well versed in jet aircraft. the air intakes remind me a little bit of some of the DeHavilland jets.

It's unusual to see so many oddballs at this airport because we're so small - daily passenger traffic would be around 200 or a little under, if that tells you anything. We do have a historic aviation museum in the old terminal, though, so I have seen a Harvard trainer take off a couple of times, there was possibly a Mig 21/23 (it was far away) which rolled in, and I've seen some Army Chinooks fly in too. Other than that, I'll see the occasional Piper Cub or Beech Bonanza. In 9 months working here, that's all I've seen, so like I said, seeing the choppers and the C47 was a real treat.
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.

It's an Avro Vulcan.

The most often aircraft I see are Blackhawks, I think there's a small airport or Air National Guard post by my school.

Every so often at home though I see an A380.

Yep the last flying Vulcan and struggle to get the funds to keep it in the air
    Usually always up at Leuchars air show and they really wind out the engines then and let us enjoy the famous Vulcan "howl"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ar-whcXzM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ar-whcXzM[/ame]
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I need to get myself to an air show one day. Museums are one thing.

Jay Leno always says it's different when you see them in motion.

Talking about Newark Airport, I think my father has seen the Concorde landing there while driving on the highway.

That must have been a sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Yep the last flying Vulcan and struggle to get the funds to keep it in the air
    Usually always up at Leuchars air show and they really wind out the engines then and let us enjoy the famous Vulcan "howl"
    Nice! I support that effort, I've been thinking about volunteering with the Historic Aviation Memorial Museum for some of the same reasons. For a city this size, it's an impressive collection. Having recently donated to NPR, I am in a giving mood

Speaking of plane sightings, I remember now that last fall (or summer?) I observed a B-17 bomber flying a HUGE pattern (close to 8 miles out) to land here for an air show. Beautiful sound - to me, radial engines are the first and last word in great sounding engines. Sadly I couldn't come to the air show, it's apparently a pretty good one.

Also last night, saw one of the ORIGINAL Minis, RHD no less. Driven by someone you'd only see in Texas: a long-haired, hippie looking dude with an Akubra-type hat and dressed in Harley regalia.

Ex-colleagues Uncle was a pilot of a B17 in the Confederate Air FOrce show team and I had an open invite to go up if I was in the area any time. Regret forever that I never managed to arrange work/life to permit it

In the UK the Battle of Britain Memorial flight are always good with a SPitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster flying in formation ... and low. Nothing beats the roar of the Merlin/Griffin

Leuchars usually attracts a good selectino of US military planes still in service for the shows. Never seen the B1 tho'
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm sorry you never got to go. I went to an air show when I was young - maybe 5 or 6 - watched the Blue Angels' cargo plane take off complete with JATO bottles - fuzzy memories, to be sure, but all were great Merlin/Griffons are my next favourite engines, great sound, great power, legendary motors. The later Griffon-powered Spitfires apparently had so much power you had to be careful throttling up lest the plane start revolving around the engine! I have a video at home I should post - some dude had a Merlin on a stand in his garage and he started it up. No exhaust manifolds, had foot long flames coming out the exhuast ports. Crappy sound quality but it's fun to watch
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.

I saw an R8 GT. One of only 7 in S.A
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

By the way franfran, before we got sidetracked by airplane talk, what is that truck in that first series of pictures? An old Chevy?

Actually, could someone identify the cars in that post for me? I think the last one is a Galant (VR-4 maybe?)

Thread Information