Thread: The "I just saw a...." thread

Truck of some sort
    MGB
    Holden Torana
    Datsun 120Y(?) wagon
    Mitsubishi Magna.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Yep the last flying Vulcan and struggle to get the funds to keep it in the air
    I saw a piece recently about a guy somewhere in the UK (Cardiff?) that owns and flys a small collection of jets, including a Vulcan.
    Is the one in your vid that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    By the way franfran, before we got sidetracked by airplane talk, what is that truck in that first series of pictures? An old Chevy?
    Yeah, '51 Chevy 3100 one-ton with a stake bed.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Took the CSL to a car show on Saturday and was in good BMW company as you can see.
    There was much to drool over... but these two Alfas did it for me: 8C 2900A and 8C2300 Monza. Stunning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 01-30-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Some cool metal. What show was it?

Sydney, Australia - in a Castle in the Hills
    By the way franfran, before we got sidetracked by airplane talk, what is that truck in that first series of pictures? An old Chevy?
    Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    '51 Chevy 3100 one-ton with a stake bed.
    Just as well someone else answered that - I could have told you it was a Chevrolet (because I saw the badge...) but that would have been about all.

This Mitsubishi Magna is rather a rare example - it is a limited edition from 1990 (I know this because I knew someone who had one) called the Grand Tourer. Apparently they only made 1,000 of them: 250 blue, 250 burgundy and 500 white. Given that there aren't many of the earlier Magnas left on the road, there's probably not many like this around now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Some cool metal. What show was it?
    The Pine School "100 Years of Cars" in Hobe Sound, Florida. Just learned of it two weeks ago, this was the fifth annual.
    Was told this year's field was smaller than last, but there was plenty of neat stuff to see.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    SVT Focus and a Mitsu Evo. Both black.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I saw a piece recently about a guy somewhere in the UK (Cardiff?) that owns and flys a small collection of jets, including a Vulcan.
    Is the one in your vid that one?

Yeah, '51 Chevy 3100 one-ton with a stake bed.
    Thank you.

Old US pickups used to be so shapely.

Now they're all just boring cardboard boxes.

Just take a look at the Ford F-150 and the Chevy Silverado. Exchange the badges and remove the grills and you wouldn't know which company made which truck.

Took the CSL to a car show on Saturday and was in good BMW company as you can see.
    There was much to drool over... but these two Alfas did it for me: 8C 2900A and 8C2300 Monza. Stunning.
    Very cool auto show!

Quote Originally Posted by franfran View Post
    Just as well someone else answered that - I could have told you it was a Chevrolet (because I saw the badge...) but that would have been about all.

This Mitsubishi Magna is rather a rare example - it is a limited edition from 1990 (I know this because I knew someone who had one) called the Grand Tourer. Apparently they only made 1,000 of them: 250 blue, 250 burgundy and 500 white. Given that there aren't many of the earlier Magnas left on the road, there's probably not many like this around now.
    Hmm, I screwed up in my identification.

Thanks for identifying them for me.

I enjoy looking for old rides in my walks around my neighborhood too.

Were USDM Chevy trucks being in the Australian market a rare occurrence? I mean, GM does have a division there. Although I'm not sure when 'utes became popular.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Agreed; '52 Fords were amazing-looking trucks. CSL, I agree, a good Alfa is almost always a show stopper. Partial to the 1600 Giulias myself
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-04-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Were USDM Chevy trucks being in the Australian market a rare occurrence? I mean, GM does have a division there. Although I'm not sure when 'utes became popular.
    USDM cars in general are pretty rare here, I think Ford sell the F-#50s here but they're not a strong seller. Too damn big for our roads, we can get one-tonners that are much smaller and'll do the needed quite nicely. The main overlap for GM would be sharing cars from the Korean division, for Ford it's the Fiesta and Focus.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    USDM cars in general are pretty rare here, I think Ford sell the F-#50s here but they're not a strong seller. Too damn big for our roads, we can get one-tonners that are much smaller and'll do the needed quite nicely. The main overlap for GM would be sharing cars from the Korean division, for Ford it's the Fiesta and Focus.
    Thanks for the input. I'm not sure why Ford doesn't sell anything smaller than the F-150. It's freaking huge!

They do sell the Ford Ranger, but the Ranger will be discontinued very soon. There's nothing wrong with it, it does its job well and is relatively fuel efficient too.

Probably the reason why is that the profit on the F-150 is far higher than any Ranger would net. Cutting it out would force people to buy a higher spec truck.

The same has happened with Toyota's trucks too. The Tacoma used to be this tiny thing. Now it's relatively massive.

I saw a Tundra here once. It was ridiculous.

NSX, we also have a range of utes based off the much smaller Falcon and Commodore sedan platforms to choose from - something the US doesn't get from either Ford or GM from what I have seen.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I saw an F430 yesterday, blasting buy us down the highway at what must have been twice the speed limit. The exhaust note is to die for.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Sydney, Australia - in a Castle in the Hills
    Only saw two cars of interest this weekend, but they were a bit unusual. One was a late 1920s (I think) Chrysler Tourer (beige with black mudguards) and the other was a dark green Austin Healey (the small one with front lights that look like frog eyes)

Thread Information