Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camera

New Camera

Hey guys :-)

Recently I went overseas, and while I was there, I decided to buy a camera.

I would tell you guys the full story if you guys want to hear it, but right now, I'll just skip to the end, and tell you that I bought a Lumix DMC GF1.

It came with the 20mm "Pancake" lens, and later, I will buy the zoom lens for it.

But for now, what do you guys think of the GF1? Good choice or bad?
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Wow, I'm envious as hell! Please post some pictures.

"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I wanted to ask for YOUR opinions, not others. I think I was intelligent enough to read the reviews before I buy

Some sample pics can be seen on my flickr page:

Flickr: NGztER?'s Photostream

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    I wanted to ask for YOUR opinions, not others. I think I was intelligent enough to read the reviews before I buy

Some sample pics can be seen on my flickr page:

Flickr: NGztER?'s Photostream
    I wanted others to help to get familiar with your purchase, and I found the link when I searched for it, as I did not know the camera.
    My personal opinion is that having to use a screen as a view finder, makes it is absolutely useless for car (or sports) related applications (my main area of work), except may be for stationary shots. And even the latter is difficult as you are not concentrating on the subject, but on your screen. Even an old analogue non-DSLR camera with a view finder works better than one of those screen type of things. For me a full size DSLR with a mirror is the only way to go, whereby an option to be able to see the shot view the backscreen could be beneficial in case you have to hold your camera up high, but I try never to be part of the crowd that raises their right arm alltogether just to get an unobstructed view. Of course Panasonic will talk down the usefulness of a mirror, because they have to sell a product. I am very willing to sacrifce the additional size and weight for that.
    For your choice I have no particular opinion, (that's why I did not ventilate that in the first place), other than what I said above. I am not going to say what camera that I don't want is better than another camera that I don't want
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Good camera!

Enjoy.

By the way, do you need to pay taxes on the camera if officials know you're bringing it back from overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I wanted others to help to get familiar with your purchase, and I found the link when I searched for it, as I did not know the camera.
    My personal opinion is that having to use a screen as a view finder, makes it is absolutely useless for car (or sports) related applications (my main area of work), except may be for stationary shots. And even the latter is difficult as you are not concentrating on the subject, but on your screen. Even an old analogue non-DSLR camera with a view finder works better than one of those screen type of things. For me a full size DSLR with a mirror is the only way to go, whereby an option to be able to see the shot view the backscreen could be beneficial in case you have to hold your camera up high, but I try never to be part of the crowd that raises their right arm alltogether just to get an unobstructed view. Of course Panasonic will talk down the usefulness of a mirror, because they have to sell a product. I am very willing to sacrifce the additional size and weight for that.
    For your choice I have no particular opinion, (that's why I did not ventilate that in the first place), other than what I said above. I am not going to say what camera that I don't want is better than another camera that I don't want
    I see. They have got a View finder accessory which can be added onto the camera. A friend of mine also suggested I get this, so maybe I should consider getting it... photography is getting expensive

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Good camera!

Enjoy.

By the way, do you need to pay taxes on the camera if officials know you're bringing it back from overseas?
    In NZ, you only need to pay taxes if the object is over a certain price, which my camera wasn't. For example, a few years ago, I shipped a piano from overseas, and that I had to pay taxes for :-)

A view finder may solve part of the problems. In the link that I posted you can also read that using larger lenses can result in less balanced actions, due to the small size of the camera. Finally, I don't see figures about number of frames per second. Strictly personally I would not sacrifce the advantage of a full DSLR in favour of a smaller sized camera, although I sometimes take a pocket thingy (Panasoniic) along when I am in tourist mode. (Smaller size also goes at the expense of the size of the sensor, which, in combination with the lens, determines the ultimate quality of your picture. And yes, photography is expensive, I recently had to replace a simple UV filter, (77mm) which cost me 55 Euro.

I see. They have got a View finder accessory which can be added onto the camera. A friend of mine also suggested I get this, so maybe I should consider getting it... photography is getting expensive

In NZ, you only need to pay taxes if the object is over a certain price, which my camera wasn't. For example, a few years ago, I shipped a piano from overseas, and that I had to pay taxes for :-)
    That's good.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    A view finder may solve part of the problems. In the link that I posted you can also read that using larger lenses can result in less balanced actions, due to the small size of the camera. Finally, I don't see figures about number of frames per second. Strictly personally I would not sacrifce the advantage of a full DSLR in favour of a smaller sized camera, although I sometimes take a pocket thingy (Panasoniic) along when I am in tourist mode. (Smaller size also goes at the expense of the size of the sensor, which, in combination with the lens, determines the ultimate quality of your picture. And yes, photography is expensive, I recently had to replace a simple UV filter, (77mm) which cost me 55 Euro.
    This camera I believe does have an external electronic viewfinder if you want, but I do agree, there's no way you could beat an optical viewfinder, for the time being at least.

And yeah, photography is freaking expensive.

Same too, I'd take a small camera instead of an interchangeable lens camera if I'm not serious or if I feel like taking a break from things.

I'm also thinking about getting a UV filter for it, because it's fairly cheap, at $30 NZDs.

If I were to just take pictures normally, I use my phone. It's pretty decent with a 5mp camera. With the right lighting, it can take some quite spectacular shots :-)

I recently got a GF1 with the 20mm as well. It's a great little camera. I mainly use it for parties, social gatherings, short citytrips (1 day, max 2 day trips). It's perfect for that stuff. I've been wanting a small digital camera that actually offers good image quality for years now. I almost went for a Canon G-series camera untill the GF1 came along. Well actually I wanted the Oly E-P1 at first but the fast autofocus, integrated flash (weak but usefull for 2nd curtain sync in situations with lots of movement, to freeze things) and the 20 1.7 made me go to the GF1. It completely kills the Canon G-cameras when it comes down to image quality*. I try to carry it around everywhere I go as well.

I can't wait for the 14mm 2.5 pancake though!

Otherwise (and professionally) I use my D700.

*we do have a G9 in the family, my mom uses it. It's a great camera but you just can't compare it.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 03-18-2010 at 01:09 PM.

I'm also thinking about getting a UV filter for it, because it's fairly cheap, at $30 NZDs.

If I were to just take pictures normally, I use my phone. It's pretty decent with a 5mp camera. With the right lighting, it can take some quite spectacular shots :-)
    Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    I recently got a GF1 with the 20mm as well. It's a great little camera. I mainly use it for parties, social gatherings, short citytrips (1 day, max 2 day trips). It's perfect for that stuff. I've been wanting a small digital camera that actually offers good image quality for years now. I almost went for a Canon G-series camera untill the GF1 came along. Well actually I wanted the Oly E-P1 at first but the fast autofocus, integrated flash (weak but usefull for 2nd curtain sync in situations with lots of movement, to freeze things) and the 20 1.7 made me go to the GF1. It completely kills the Canon G-cameras when it comes down to image quality*. I try to carry it around everywhere I go as well.

I can't wait for the 14mm 2.5 pancake though!

Otherwise (and professionally) I use my D700.

*we do have a G9 in the family, my mom uses it. It's a great camera but you just can't compare it.
    Nice! D700!

How's battery life for the GF1?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Gotcha.

Nice! D700!

How's battery life for the GF1?
    Pretty great actually. I can't give you any number since I haven't tried running it down from full to completely empty (been to busy to really play with it). But I guess easily 400 shots. I'm going to Paris for day this weekend so I hope I can really put the battery to the test (if the weather permits me).

About the viewfinder, Roentgen: I suggest you wait a little. check this out: http://43rumors.com/ft3-panasonic-lv...lacement-soon/
    Last edited by Lagonda; 03-18-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Pretty great actually. I can't give you any number since I haven't tried running it down from full to completely empty (been to busy to really play with it). But I guess easily 400 shots. I'm going to Paris for day this weekend so I hope I can really put the battery to the test (if the weather permits me).

About the viewfinder, Roentgen: I suggest you wait a little. check this out: Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive (FT3) Panasonic LVF1 viewfinder replacement soon?
    Yea, battery life is very good. At parties, me and my friends (who often use my camera) take over 500 photos, and as long as I charge it the night before, there will still be about a third of a charge left by the end of the party, so I still got enough power to upload all those pics into my computer :-) This is with flash btw. Without flash, I guess even more?

Thanks for letting me know about the viewfinder:-) I'll most likely save up for the zoom lens first, so by the time I got round to the viewfinder, hopefully they would've replaced it with the new model.

Yea, battery life is very good. At parties, me and my friends (who often use my camera) take over 500 photos, and as long as I charge it the night before, there will still be about a third of a charge left by the end of the party, so I still got enough power to upload all those pics into my computer :-) This is with flash btw. Without flash, I guess even more?

Thanks for letting me know about the viewfinder:-) I'll most likely save up for the zoom lens first, so by the time I got round to the viewfinder, hopefully they would've replaced it with the new model.
    You really should take the card out of the camera and plug it directly into your computer, it's faster and less battery intensive.

Actually, it doesn't chew up your battery.

That's pretty cool, the battery life.

Thread Information