Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Explosive traces' on sunken warship

'Explosive traces' on sunken warship

'Explosive traces' on sunken warship | News.com.au

TRACES of explosive from a torpedo have been found on debris from a sunken South Korean warship, fuelling suspicions that North Korea sank the vessel.

Aluminium fragments from a torpedo casing have also been found, Dong-A Ilbo newspaper quoted a member of a team investigating the blast as saying.

President Lee Myung-Bak hinted yesterday that North Korea was involved in the sinking, which cost 46 lives. He promised a "resolute" response when the cause is established following the multinational probe.

The unidentified team member was quoted as saying the explosive traces were found on a funnel that was torn off the Cheonan by the blast on March 26 near the disputed border with North Korea.

"It has been confirmed that the explosive came from a torpedo," the team member was quoted as saying.

Detailed analysis of salvaged aluminium fragments also confirmed they are from a torpedo, the individual said.
    "This type of aluminium is not in use in this country. As long as the torpedo was not ours, there is only one country that may attack a South Korean navy vessel," the team member reportedly said.

The paper quoted a senior military official as saying investigators would announce their findings no later than mid-May.

Defence Minister Kim Tae-Young told legislators last Saturday that a piece of aluminium that was not from the sunken ship had been retrieved, but did not elaborate.

The North, whose leader Kim Jong-Il is visiting China this week, denies involvement.

Mr Kim reportedly met President Hu Jintao overnight and South Korean analysts have said the ship incident would likely be discussed.

The South has not publicly ruled out a military response if the North is proved to have sunk the Cheonan, but has said it would probably take the issue to the United Nations Security Council.

China is the North's sole major ally and main source of fuel and food. As a permanent veto-wielding council member, its support would be crucial in any attempt to punish the North.
    Thoughts? Impacts if the north torpedoed the south?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

If Bush was still in power I'd make comment about another war to distract from the middle east situation and a new series of MASH, but at the moment.. harder to say. With China ready to veto anything the UN comes up with I doubt they'll do much about it other than finger waggling.. hopefully this isn't DPRK trying something on to see what happens before going bigger...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Yeah, Its pretty fragile ground I would have thought.

I'd have considered this an act of war, But with so much at stake in terms of flow on (US and Chinese involvement).
    I guess the south is well aware of what their retaliation could cause.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I'm not sure the world would support a full on war against the DPRK at the moment.. but conversely they won't let em steamroll the ROK either. Stalemate, I suppose..

Shit like this is how authors like Tom Clancy formulate WWIII.

I think this is a pretty scary situation - let's hope cooler heads prevail and this doesn't escalate, because a war involving North and South Korea could be very, very bad.

on the other hand, it would not be first time that traces of evidence were added to the site of an event after it actually took place.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Why would South Korea want to drum up war? It seems like the North are the ones that are partaking in aggressive behaviour.

China needs to put their bitch on a leash?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Didn't think of that reasoning Henk, if south korea sees this as an opportunaty to gain international support and sympathy its a very potent idea.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Not sure ROK really need more support.. they're already the preferred side of the divide, yes?

PUtting cynical , logical hat on

Torpedo explpsoves on the funnel ?
    WOW, we better worry coz sounds like NK have flying torpedoes !!!!
    Seriously, torpedoes hit below the water line, so we are now looking at material that must have made it's way up THROUGH the vessel from the point of impact .... or something picked up in the water on the way down.
    The Cheonan armament INCLUDED SIX TORPEDOES.

As long as the torpedo was not ours
    SO even the "expert" reporting all this on behalf of ROK is NOT RULING OUT it's not their own !

I call BS, but we'll never know until ROK publish PHOTOS of the hull as they brought it up.

"Preferred side" is a bit like asking if you want your goolies mashed with a 5 pound or 10 pound hammer
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It'd be no surprise if North Korea sunk that boat - I mean, they are crazy.

But what can be done about it?

Sanctions? because they work, plainly.

China will not likely be making things easy for South Korea to get any headway with the UN, but I'll be interested to see their response to North Korea more than South Korea's...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Well sanctions do work, just not geting the results Bush WANTED so then talked up to be NOT working

"National Security Law makes it a crime to express sympathies with North Korea, and though it is not consistently enforced there are over 100 people jailed under it annually

"Freedom of expression" is the most abused term in EVERY democracy on the planet
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

What I mean by sanctions not working is that they don't affect the people they're meant to - it's the peasants who are already suffering who miss out while Kim Jong Il does whatever it is that he does in his palace of doom.

Presumably snorting cocaine off Argentine models.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

got you .... and yea the ROK leadership is a pillar to aspire to

NOT.

Thread Information