Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury could be facing the Axe

Well If Mercury is no more... the world will go on. It will be no loss. There have been many makes axed in the past and there will be others. There is more and more competition, so I guess its Mercury's time to fade away.

The only downside is the layoffs. Other than that, whats the difference whether their around or not.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Mercury is suppose to fill the gap between Ford and Lincoln but it seems that all they do now is get people to walk in and say "Meh this is too expensive, I'll buy a Ford" or "Meh I'd rather pay an extra couple grand and get more luxury with a Lincoln." So whats the loss with Mercury going? I don't see it personally.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I feel slightly nostalgic as my first car was a mercury, but I don't think people will miss the brand very much.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I personally hope they give Mercury the axe. The brand is completely and utterly USELESS. With Mercury gone, they can put more time and resources into reviving Lincoln.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Mercury is suppose to fill the gap between Ford and Lincoln but it seems that all they do now is get people to walk in and say "Meh this is too expensive, I'll buy a Ford" or "Meh I'd rather pay an extra couple grand and get more luxury with a Lincoln." So whats the loss with Mercury going? I don't see it personally.

The thing is that they have moved Ford upmarket to the part where they are overlapping. If you load up a Ford today, you pretty much have a mercury minus the badges. Back in the eighties, it was easy to tell where Ford stopped and Mercury began, but nowit is not like that way. Just like I said, it is pretty much like Plymouth and Oldsmobile, they used to be great, but now they just let it widdle away to the point where all they are selling is just badge engineered Fords. THey haven't had a real appealing model since the Marauder, and even that one didn't sell all that great, since they cut it after only two years on the market. And wohever said that Ford should get a version of it, they have. After they killed the Marauder, they added a "LX Sport" model to the Crown Victoria line, which is like the MArauder except for some cosmetic changes, and it gave slightly lower output, as its engine was Naturally Aspirated while the Marauder was supercharged.

As far as Lincoln and Buick go, they won't be getting cut anytime soon. GM just poured a lot of money into new models for Buick, including the Lucerne, Lacrosse, Terraza (which flopped), and the upcoming Enclave. I don't think that GM is going to cut them after they have poured so much money into them. But, I heard that Buick is doing worse then Mercury. But still, GM won't axe them after pouring so much money into them. As for Saturn, which they recently poured a lot of money into also, is doing very well. Sales are just rising and rising for them.

For Lincoln, they too won't be getting the axe. Just like GM did for Buick, Ford just poured a ton of money into rejuvinating Lincoln's lineup. IMO they still fail to surpass Cadillac or their european rivals, they just seem to be there, not really gathering a market niche or anything, just kinda there, uncompetitive. But again, I don't think Ford is going to cut them after pouring so much money into them. Plus, what is FOrd going to do without a Luxury brand. God knows that they can't count on Jaguar, since they have just been losing money left and right since they picked them up about two decades ago.

Woot! I can't believe I wrote this much!
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

I really wouldn't mind if Mercury went away. As many of you guys said, it's a paperweight, and a big one at that too.

I don't want Mercury to go away. The lady that does the commercials is really hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I don't want Mercury to go away. The lady that does the commercials is really hot.
    pxorbn
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Jill Wagner. Hard to find pics but she looks really hot in the commercials.. these pics don't do justice.

How ironic, someone like her doing commercials for such a boring company. Women will do anything for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    The thing is that they have moved Ford upmarket to the part where they are overlapping. If you load up a Ford today, you pretty much have a mercury minus the badges. Back in the eighties, it was easy to tell where Ford stopped and Mercury began, but nowit is not like that way. Just like I said, it is pretty much like Plymouth and Oldsmobile, they used to be great, but now they just let it widdle away to the point where all they are selling is just badge engineered Fords. THey haven't had a real appealing model since the Marauder, and even that one didn't sell all that great, since they cut it after only two years on the market. And wohever said that Ford should get a version of it, they have. After they killed the Marauder, they added a "LX Sport" model to the Crown Victoria line, which is like the MArauder except for some cosmetic changes, and it gave slightly lower output, as its engine was Naturally Aspirated while the Marauder was supercharged.

As far as Lincoln and Buick go, they won't be getting cut anytime soon. GM just poured a lot of money into new models for Buick, including the Lucerne, Lacrosse, Terraza (which flopped), and the upcoming Enclave. I don't think that GM is going to cut them after they have poured so much money into them. But, I heard that Buick is doing worse then Mercury. But still, GM won't axe them after pouring so much money into them. As for Saturn, which they recently poured a lot of money into also, is doing very well. Sales are just rising and rising for them.

For Lincoln, they too won't be getting the axe. Just like GM did for Buick, Ford just poured a ton of money into rejuvinating Lincoln's lineup. IMO they still fail to surpass Cadillac or their european rivals, they just seem to be there, not really gathering a market niche or anything, just kinda there, uncompetitive. But again, I don't think Ford is going to cut them after pouring so much money into them.
    "Pouring money" into something doesn't necessarily mean, they're not going to sell it. It can have that meaning but with a loss-generating company like GM or Ford I wouldn't take anything for granted.
    Plus, what is FOrd going to do without a Luxury brand. God knows that they can't count on Jaguar, since they have just been losing money left and right since they picked them up about two decades ago.
    Did you read this post in the AM thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    I read somewhere that Ford was holding Jag back. Jaguar had alot of good ideas and concepts, but Ford said that it was not in their budget etc. etc. (Which is understandable, but Ford must have known Jag would be a costly brand to purchase) I'll see if I can find an article or something on the web. I heard it on T.V.

I don't see Jaguar ever going places, until Ford lets them do what they are capable of doing.
    Woot! I can't believe I wrote this much!
    Why end a rare half decent post with something like this if you want to be taken seriously?

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Jill Wagner. Hard to find pics but she looks really hot in the commercials.. these pics don't do justice.
    I approve.

Her, not your hotlinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    How ironic, someone like her doing commercials for such a boring company. Women will do anything for money.
    Like you wouldn't? Come on, it's a job. I would bleed my hart out for a Ssangyong for the right price.
    Last edited by Pando; 03-13-2007 at 01:48 PM.
    - Are YOU listed? -

When it comes to brands like this, they don't sell them, they do away with them. And it wouldn't make sense to sell Lincoln after pouring that much money into developing new models for them. It would be no different than putting all that money in a big pile and burning it. As for Jag, I don't think that Ford is all that enthuiastic about them. They were bought out of the blue by Jacques Nasser when I bet many of Ford's executives didn't seems to want them, so I bet that is why they aren't interested in giving them a big budget. THat is just waht I think, I may be wrong.

When it comes to brands like this, they don't sell them, they do away with them. And it wouldn't make sense to sell Lincoln after pouring that much money into developing new models for them. It would be no different than putting all that money in a big pile and burning it. As for Jag, I don't think that Ford is all that enthuiastic about them. They were bought out of the blue by Jacques Nasser when I bet many of Ford's executives didn't seems to want them, so I bet that is why they aren't interested in giving them a big budget. THat is just waht I think, I may be wrong.
    Sometimes you spend money in a brand to differenciate their products mechanically in order to make the sale more attractive.

Take Fiat group for instance. There have been rumours of a Lancia sale, but as it is I would make little sense since most of their cars are heavily base on Fiat parts. On the other hand Alfa Romeo has had a lot of money invested and as result it has its own platforms and engines. Out of the two it is clear which is the more attractive brand for potential buyers.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

When it comes to brands like this, they don't sell them, they do away with them. And it wouldn't make sense to sell Lincoln after pouring that much money into developing new models for them. It would be no different than putting all that money in a big pile and burning it.
    There's a huge difference, selling a company is a bit different than selling an item. It doesn't matter if you've put millions into a branch of your company during the years, if it looks like that branch is going to cost you up to hundreds of millions just to keep it for another year, what would you do? Of course the world of running businesses is a bit different but I hope you catch my drift. Ferrer explained it well how "pouring money" into a branch many times also is a preparation for a sale.
    - Are YOU listed? -

Yep, but when it comes to the big three, when a brand isn't competitive anymore, they discontinue it instead of selling it. Like with Oldsmobile. I bet that if GM wanted to sell Oldsmobile, Ford or Chrysler would have bought them, rejovinated them, and they would still be around and will still be competietive in teh marketplace, but GM instead just killed them. So, if Ford is to get rid of Lincoln, they wont' sell them, they will kill them.

Thread Information