Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Would You Live If You Had No Limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    You are sacrificing the outside world happening to you.
    I guess the world has to be grateful when certain people live behind gates....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    You are forgetting that many people who are not wealthy also live in gated communities.

The leave their homes to go to work, therefore, they are not sacrificing the outside world "happening" to them. If they want to live in a gated area, they are free to do so. If they don't, then they don't buy houses in such an area. It's their money, let them spend it how they want!
    Indeed it is there money.

I'd just look at the reasoning behind that spend. I just don't see the point.

As for your 60hr/week figure. I don't know where you are getting that from. One gets the feeling you are pulling figures from thin air that you can't back up.

They do have to leave there home to work. They still choose to return to their bubble when they finish. It's like the real world is something they step into and then just walk right back out of.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I'd just look at the reasoning behind that spend. I just don't see the point.
    Maybe they don't see your point.

As for your 60hr/week figure. I don't know where you are getting that from. One gets the feeling you are pulling figures from thin air that you can't back up.
    No, I've done that myself. During busy parts of the year I one job I worked at for 16 years, my hours were 6:00 AM to 6:30 PM Mon-Thurs, 6:00 AM to 4:30 PM Friday and 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM Saturday. That is a total of that is 66 hours (minus excluding 1/2 hour for lunch each day). Many business owners put in 60+ hours/week. I've even heard of 80 hours/week. It does happen (I should know).

They do have to leave there home to work. They still choose to return to their bubble when they finish.
    Would you rather they live in a cave instead of a home? What difference does it make whether there are gates or not? Many ordinary (middle-class) people do live in gated communities. I did post an example about Palmdale, Calif. One of my brothers bought a house out there, in a gated area. The house cost $122,000 in 1989 or 1990. At the time, houses in my area (non-gated) cost much more, at least $300,000. So, as you can see, it is not just paranoid people who are trying to escape from the world who live in gated areas. Some may be, but many are not.

It's like the real world is something they step into and then just walk right back out of
    Again, many ordinary people live in those communities. You can't make a huge generalization the covers everyone. Most gated areas are just like any neighborhood, they just happen to have a fence or a wall surrounding them. In fact, along the street behind my house is walled... does that mean I am one-half in and one-half out of the real world?!?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

does that mean I am one-half in and one-half out of the real world?!?
    that would explain a lot.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Maybe they don't see your point.

It takes all sorts, sure.

No, I've done that myself. During busy parts of the year I one job I worked at for 16 years, my hours were 6:00 AM to 6:30 PM Mon-Thurs, 6:00 AM to 4:30 PM Friday and 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM Saturday. That is a total of that is 66 hours (minus excluding 1/2 hour for lunch each day). Many business owners put in 60+ hours/week. I've even heard of 80 hours/week. It does happen (I should know).

I know for a fact both my parents work damn hard to keep our house and a roof over our heads. My dad does 60+hours a week for sure.

But we don't live in a gated community, so thats irrelevant.

You mention your own hours but you don't live in a gated community.

So thats irrelevant.

And lastly not everyone who owns one of these particular establishments runs a business.

So thats irrelevant.

I'm not doubting some of these people work damned hard. I'm just seeking the relevancy in this coment is all.

Would you rather they live in a cave instead of a home?

I think we've established that by my original comments asking to live in a Home designed by myself

What difference does it make whether there are gates or not? Many ordinary (middle-class) people do live in gated communities. I did post an example about Palmdale, Calif. One of my brothers bought a house out there, in a gated area. The house cost $122,000 in 1989 or 1990. At the time, houses in my area (non-gated) cost much more, at least $300,000. So, as you can see, it is not just paranoid people who are trying to escape from the world who live in gated areas. Some may be, but many are not.

But it's just those people who we are talking about! You say gated communities are for the elite and few, and then you contradict by saying they are for the middle class, and now houses within them cost $122,000!

I don't think It's got anything to do with the persons status as to whether or not they live in the gated community, It's their own sense of safety that the gate brings.

Again, many ordinary people live in those communities. You can't make a huge generalization the covers everyone. Most gated areas are just like any neighborhood, they just happen to have a fence or a wall surrounding them. In fact, along the street behind my house is walled... does that mean I am one-half in and one-half out of the real world?!?
    You can't just make a huge generalisation (with an S, i might add) that many of these people aren't paranoid about there safety or seduced by the idea of the community within those said walls.

As for you're home being half walled...Seriously. Fences are normal for property boundaries. To set up a community with the intent of keeping undesirable elements of society out by force is just.....well, discriminatory.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that would explain a lot.
    Wait a minute... that is up for Mr. Rainbows to decide.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong I may think you are

You can't just make a huge generalisation (with an S, i might add) that many of these people aren't paranoid about there safety or seduced by the idea of the community within those said walls.
    And you can't make a huge generalization (in the U.S., it is spelled with a "z") that many of those people are paranoid. How would you know? Do you know about every resident who lives in gated areas?

As for you're home being half walled...Seriously. Fences are normal for property boundaries. To set up a community with the intent of keeping undesirable elements of society out by force is just.....well, discriminatory
    I partly agree. I didn't mind when some places were gated, but it has gone overboard. In, as I've said, regular, middle-class neighborhoods.

I wasn't equating 60 hours/week with gated communities. I was just pointing out the fact that many people do work that many hours.

I was saying that gated areas are not just for the elite. They were 30 or 40 years ago, but not now. Of course, 30 or 40 years ago, crime was less, too.

The houses I mentioned in Palmdale don't cost $122,000 anymore. That was back in the early '90s. Now they are something like $350,000 (just a guess). My brother didn't buy the house just to be in a gated area; it was because two of his wife's aunts lived there and it was close to schools.

So there you go. The gated community has the amenities so that the occupants should never have to leave unless they have work.

You alluded to the opinion that many people in Gated communities work in such a manner, thus why I took offence.

I don't know every resident who lives in a Gated community, but I do think that the safety element weighs heavily on those who purchase into such a property.

Gated communities and indeed gated houses are a further result of the burgeoning middle class, something which just enforces the Have/Have not nature of most of the western world.

I'd like to live in any old world where we just all live together peacefully!
    Last edited by v.6; 03-23-2008 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by v.6 View Post
    I'd like to live in any old world where we just all live together peacefully!
    welcome and well said...

So there you go. The gated community has the amenities so that the occupants should never have to leave unless they have work.
    Do you really believe that? They only leave to work? What about shopping, dining out, recreation, medical appointiments, visiting friends and relatives, etc?

You alluded to the opinion that many people in Gated communities work in such a manner, thus why I took offence.
    I alluded that if people have the right to live where they want. And if it is in a gated community, it doesn't automatically mean they are paranoid or afraid of the outside world.

I don't know every resident who lives in a Gated community, but I do think that the safety element weighs heavily on those who purchase into such a property.
    It does and with good reason. Gated communities are overall safer than non-gated communities. For the obvious reason that they are gated.

Gated communities and indeed gated houses are a further result of the burgeoning middle class, something which just enforces the Have/Have not nature of most of the western world.
    No reason for the burgeoning middle class to be ashamed. After all, many of them do provide jobs. Were you ever employed by a poor person?

Some small European country with clean streets and blue air...

Do you really believe that? They only leave to work? What about shopping, dining out, recreation, medical appointiments, visiting friends and relatives, etc?

Many of these communities are self-sustaining. They have shopping malls within the walls for just this sort of thing.

It's as though the outside world doesn't exist.

I alluded that if people have the right to live where they want. And if it is in a gated community, it doesn't automatically mean they are paranoid or afraid of the outside world.

I'm saying that the security of such a place would be certainly a factor in their purchase of the property.

It does and with good reason. Gated communities are overall safer than non-gated communities. For the obvious reason that they are gated.

Where are the facts for such a statement.

Canberra has no gated communities. Our crime rate is still significantly lower than nearly everywhere else in Australia.

No reason for the burgeoning middle class to be ashamed. After all, many of them do provide jobs. Were you ever employed by a poor person?
    Good on them for their wealth. thats fine.

But I just think that it's almost shameful to flash one's wealth by fencing it. It's as much of a beacon as it is a security measure.

I'm happy where i am, It's close to everything i need and want so my home is my place.

With no limitations I'd still be around the same place, But i would like some better access in and out and a little more privacy more room for cars etc.

I don't care much for huge 15 foot fencing lol or a 4 story 20 room house..
    Give me 4-5 rooms a nice room for watching movies, A nice kitchen with plenty of bench space, Lounge all the normal rooms etc, 4 car garage with back yard access..
    All on 1 acre of land. Maybe a pool for the old legs BBQ area pagola I'm done and happy.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information