Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This forum is dying

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    In the General Automotive forum.

That's the thing, if you don't discuss it in the hideout, you now have 2 threads where discussion could happen- in the hideout, where the photos are, and in General Automotive/local forum, whatever you guys wanted to make it.

Whereas if you discussed it in the Hideout, you now have one thread to discuss everything about that car.

Why do people make multiple threads about one car anyway? I find that weird- sometimes you have one put up by Wouter, and then another person does another thread. Perhaps the only difference was that one had a press release, and the other didn't. But since no one brought that up, I thought that was okay.

About the R8 GT, maybe you can do a thread merge?
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 05-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.

That member, "4wheelsonline" or something, had a main issues, he just opened thread with little contribution to them, often with a single line first post, and perhaps even connected to some rather uninteresting argument.
    I don't disagree with that, nevertheless his posts sparkled interesting discussions, which is what we are complaining is missing, isn't it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's the thing, if you don't discuss it in the hideout, you now have 2 threads where discussion could happen- in the hideout, where the photos are, and in General Automotive/local forum, whatever you guys wanted to make it.

Whereas if you discussed it in the Hideout, you now have one thread to discuss everything about that car.

Why do people make multiple threads about one car anyway? I find that weird- sometimes you have one put up by Wouter, and then another person does another thread. Perhaps the only difference was that one had a press release, and the other didn't. But since no one brought that up, I thought that was okay.

About the R8 GT, maybe you can do a thread merge?
    The thing is that often news or images about a car come out prior to someone having access to highres stuff, that's why we have more than one thread.
    On the other hand, many cars are featured only in the hide-out, so they "can't" be discussed elsewhere. That's the case with some old cars. Not classics, just old stuff from 10/20/30 years ago.
    So you're sort of right as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't disagree with that, nevertheless his posts sparkled interesting discussions, which is what we are complaining is missing, isn't it?
    Discussions are extremely welcomed, not the same for pointless posting.
    So if someone is to blame, that's we and the fact we have to wait for the random guy to discuss something.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

These days, I visit UCP just to check out car pictures and read some jokes, I really hesitate to post stuff in the forum due to the amount of other things i have going on and somewhat due to fear of being burn at the stake for saying something stupid, which i do very often. I mean like for example when i was active in the forum, i would routinely post really dumb stuff just because i felt like it, without dedicating alot of thought in such posts.

for many, this forum is like a pool of rationality in the jungle of the webz which has been dominated by teenage delinquents. However forum members are not just found, they are like crops. You have to grow many of them from seed or immaturity, even if it might mean putting up with abit more stupid stuff than you are comfortable with.

Otherwise you will be stuck with very many old guyz, No disrespect to QuattroMan and my other other older people.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

There havn't been that many new members recently and those that have joined are not always treated with kind words despite what they may or may not have to say or add to the treads topic.
    I guess people forget that people may choose to not post any more even though they have been around awhile, which is why we/ucp needs new members to join and add to the conversation.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Its hard for new people to keep up with guys who put up 200 posts a month. Not the most welcoming place for some people either and seems to be made up almost entirely of Europeans and Australians (minus a few regulars from the Northeast who seem to post on a regular basis). Not many Americans take interest in this place to be perfectly honest (not sure why but that's just my perception anyways).

I actually enjoy the international nature of the forum and getting to hear Euro and Aussie etc. opinions. I hear quite a few american opinions so the chance to see what the rest of the world thinks is nice. Even if they're wrong. Though it seems to me like the entire world has pretty much the same spread of opinions on cars.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123 View Post

for many, this forum is like a pool of rationality in the jungle of the webz which has been dominated by teenage delinquents.
    If you keep making remarks like this you are very welcome to post much more here
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Understood, I don't want rampant stupidity. Some more light hearted conversation is always a good thing though. I think the only places where you can find that though is in a select few threads like the joke thread or purchases thread.
    I agree to that, but what I found is that your "bunch of scientists" also made these sort if inside remarks, in other threads. I can't remember how many times I read about somebody's sister, but I never actually found it funny.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    Its hard for new people to keep up with guys who put up 200 posts a month.
    Don't sweat it .... QUALITY is much much much better than quantity.
    Not many Americans take interest in this place to be perfectly honest (not sure why but that's just my perception anyways).
    I'd say that is just a reflection of American society.
    Not many take interest in affairs or items outside of the mainstream US scene.
    Sites with more focus on US cars and activities will be better populated -- and no doubt with only very few Europeans in say the drag forums.
    I say that as insight, NOT as a negative. We are all parochial in our own ways
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There are those websites which are better at catering to the US market, and many of them are very enjoyable.

As a European based website, it's only logical that UCP suits a european palate
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I have to say I enjoy UCP exactly for its internationality.

I honestly believe that just a few new members join mainly because of major blogs getting all their attention and posts. It's easier, quicker, less involving and you don't have to visit again that page to see what people think about what you said, because 1 a few people read what other say, 2 there already are new posts to get people attentions.

UCP is the first or among the first results in google when it comes to car. Just a few people join, and even less post. I don't think they took the time to check the site and decided we are too rude (albeit it may be true) or whatever so that they don't post at all.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Let me first state, that I think UCP is the leading car website for me.
    Next to that the forum has a huge amount of info on almost every car you could think of.

There maybe less traffic then before, but it's not dying.
    Sometimes I do feel that a discussions shouldn't be held in, let say the Hide out.
    But that's where it happens sometimes, better there then never.

I still like this forum, and that's the only reason I need to still be a paying member.

I have to say I enjoy UCP exactly for its internationality.

I honestly believe that just a few new members join mainly because of major blogs getting all their attention and posts. It's easier, quicker, less involving and you don't have to visit again that page to see what people think about what you said, because 1 a few people read what other say, 2 there already are new posts to get people attentions.

UCP is the first or among the first results in google when it comes to car. Just a few people join, and even less post. I don't think they took the time to check the site and decided we are too rude (albeit it may be true) or whatever so that they don't post at all.
    That's a great point- I don't think I've ever had a chance to talk to so many people from so many places all at the same time.

I completely agree. This forum was an immense help finding things to do and places to go on my most recent trip to Europe.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information