Thread: Cell Phones and Driving

Cell Phones and Driving

We were discussing this, I forgot where.

Here is an London School of Economics study.

http://jalopnik.com/5727715/talking-...ou-drive-safer

Interesting.

counter-intuitive isnt it

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Here is an London School of Economics study
    There's the problem right there. I took the time to read the entire report. Not simply poor statistical analysis, but selective data.
    If they're teaching economic theory with similar rigor the next crop of grads shouldn't be allowed anywhere near money.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    There's the problem right there. I took the time to read the entire report. Not simply poor statistical analysis, but selective data.
    If they're teaching economic theory with similar rigor the next crop of grads shouldn't be allowed anywhere near money.
    Given the whole GFC thing, I'd say poor statistical analysis may go further than just current students...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Of course, do remember that correlation does not indicate causation. Off the top of my head, the fact that they only look at 9 p.m. reports is questionable as it completely ignores the average Joe who whips out the phone on the way to work/school/etc. In addition, most cars come with enough nannies to keep Joe or Jane Stockbroker from plowing his $80,000 Lexus into the Chevrolet Lumina in front of him while s/he's chit-chatting with clients. There are a lot more variables and psychological tidbits that I won't go into because I don't/can't (yet at least; I've just finished a cognitive class and am now in 1/5th of the way through an environmental awareness course.)

I think it would be a lot more sensible to believe the one done by psychologists who suggest the opposite that says that you can automate talking but not driving.
    Last edited by kingofthering; 01-13-2011 at 02:20 AM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

LSE ... where London bankers got their knowledge and advice .... NUFF SAID
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Phoney driving...

And I live in Sweden. The ONLY country in the developed world where talking on the mobile while driving is explicitly ALLOWED!!!

I'm really wondering why the Swedes haven't wiped out themselves... Maybe just not yet.

^^^ REAL easy, most of your economy is dependant on the mobile phone business

( It woudl be like Hollywood saying watchin movies was illegal )

Hey you guys survived on the Norway/Sweden border with everyone driving over to get cheap booze for decades Can survive any vehicular use after that !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

If they're teaching economic theory with similar rigor the next crop of grads shouldn't be allowed anywhere near money............
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-22-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spam deleted

I'd rather let the overzealous law maker ban the usage on the road than let some idiot teens rear end me while texting...

If using cell phone talking is bad enough texting makes it a billion times worse. And distracted driving is distracted driving, accident or not. Be it as some one sitting at the light not realizing its green, or wondering in and out of the lane at highway speed. Just because they haven't hit anyone or no one hit them doesn't mean its acceptable behavior, and thats on top of the (perceived) declining driving standard already....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

yeah dagamba i also been to Sweden and i was shocked to know that speking on phone is not offense over their .but in a part of Sweden i came across a a dealer who had lot of Second hand cars for sale on almost each of them he had a sticker saying stop talking on phone while driving .isn't it great to carry out campaign on his own .

Edit: Nice to see american second hand car dealers having outlets in Sweden, but of course I had to remove the spam link.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-22-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Cell phones while driving is really bad and i think there should be something done for it because of this every day there are so many issues around the world ,but if every individual thinks and tries to stop this habit i think that will be a great achievement .

Absolute nonsense to say using a phone whilst driving is as bad as drunk driving. You delavue your own silly statement. Drink-drive or drugs-drive IMPAIRS ones abilty to perform properly. If sober and talking, all of our senses are at maximum alert and awareness. 2 of 6 drivers in Torbay, between 4-6pm are on mobiles, whilst driving. More important is to keep eyes on road, and react to the visual image you have whilst driving. Most skilled drivers drive and react automatically, and 99.9 of 100, with full safety to others. just like any otherdriving experience from racing shchools to drivers ed.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-04-2011 at 01:44 PM.

^^^^ the strength of your opinion doesn't make it right d

The tests and evidence is there that driving while on the phone DOES impair response time, attention to risks and safety.

The evidence is there rather than me repeat it all here.

Agree that it does not directly affect in the same way drinking does. ie you can still drive a straight line ... BUT it affects the other things we do whiel driving and THAT affects safety.

Thread Information