Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tesla Roadster looks pretty good.

The Tesla Roadster looks pretty good.

I was looking up info about that new Telsa Roadster, that fully electric sports car that is supposed to reach 130 and travel 250 miles before needing a charging. I like what I am seeing, especially after seeing that Lotus helped engineer it. (It does resemble the Elise somewhat) I think it will be a real offering if it lives up to its Hype. What do you say?
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius View Post
    I was looking up info about that new Telsa Roadster, that fully electric sports car that is supposed to reach 130 and travel 250 miles before needing a charging. I like what I am seeing, especially after seeing that Lotus helped engineer it. (It does resemble the Elise somewhat) I think it will be a real offering if it lives up to its Hype. What do you say?
    It's definitely promising, at least I like it.

It looks like an Elise because it's built off of the Elise chassis IIRC.

I hope that this will prove to the public that electric vehicles are practical. I know the big three tried to ruin EVs so they could keep focus on its cash cow, the SUV, and just leave the EVs under teh rug. Rumor has it that GM planned for the EV1 to flop, so Americans could think that EVs are impractical.

Hmm, built off the Elise chassis? I think that made me like it a little bit more. If it is built using the same chassis as the Elise, then this might be a worthy track car. That would be fun to go to the track and lay some rubber with an EV.

I guess we'll wait and see. I hope it turns out to be what it says and not be another Vector - all hype and nothing to back it up.

Its good that the elcetricity it uses causes pollution elsewhere and that the petrol it might have used diesnt need energy for refining any more. So it doesnt save the planet but does it slower. How deos it sound? like a washing machine?
    autozine.org

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Its good that the elcetricity it uses causes pollution elsewhere and that the petrol it might have used diesnt need energy for refining any more.

Don't take your opinions from conservative talk shows. While electricity does mean it needs to be created elsewhere, a large amount of electricity is made by nonpolluting means such as wind power, dams, and nuclear power. The nice thing about electric vehicles is a centralized energy production system, which means, instead of constantly having to worry about upgrading vehicles systems to make less emissions, you have one central source to upgrade.

Second while fuel does already contain energy, its a limited resource that takes energy both to extract from the ground and to refine into usable gasoline or diesel. You can't stick crude oil in a car.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Electric vehicles are also more reliable, as it uses less components, meaning that it is less complex mechanically than a normal car.

Tesla is good looking, fairly fast and more powerful than the Elise.
    Only problem is that it's heavier thank to all those batteries

What do you say?
    It doesn't seem to do much more than an Elise, but costs a great deal more.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    a large amount of electricity is made by nonpolluting means such as wind power, dams, and nuclear power.
    Not a "large" amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    It doesn't seem to do much more than an Elise, but costs a great deal more.

Not a "large" amount.
    I hereby dub thee "Pessimist of the Year".
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 03-08-2007 at 08:08 PM.

I hope that this will prove to the public that electric vehicles are practical. I know the big three tried to ruin EVs so they could keep focus on its cash cow, the SUV, and just leave the EVs under teh rug. Rumor has it that GM planned for the EV1 to flop, so Americans could think that EVs are impractical.
    Bullshit. If EV's were so good, GM would have thrown money at it like there was no tomorrow,because, let's face it, why won't GM want to make tons and tons of money?

Stop listening to Greenpeace.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I hope that this will prove to the public that electric vehicles are practical.
    Because...they're not?

and how if you only get approx. 250miles per charge can you do a trip longer than 250mi, and if so how does the charging system work?

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Bullshit. If EV's were so good, GM would have thrown money at it like there was no tomorrow,because, let's face it, why won't GM want to make tons and tons of money?

Stop listening to Greenpeace.
    Bullshit. GM is set up for the manufacture of carbon burners. Pretty much their entire infrastructure and business model is based on it. Where is their imperative to dump these existing assets all geared to the production of oil-fuelled cars?

A goodly amount of the profits from these fossil fumers lie in the dealer stream re maintanance & repair. By contrast an EV does not require its engine to be regularly serviced. Most have no transmission or clutch. No need for filters, flushes, belts, hoses, injectors etc. In many parts of the world (eg where I live) it is possible for your home to not just be energy neutral but even earn credit through feeding back into the main electrical grid from excess solar power derived from your rooftop. Or perhaps use those excess credits to recharge your EV overnight and commute to work or wherever .. for no fuel cost at all

As for vehicle range ..
    “According to the latest statistics from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Americans drive an average of 29 miles and spend some 55 minutes a day in their vehicles.”

What about the people who commute back and forth, pick up kids, and run errands?
    That adds up and during cold weather, with heat/defroster on, the mileage of the EV1 dropped significantly.

I didn't make that up, the GM engineer told this to Car and Driver.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifreak013 View Post
    and how if you only get approx. 250miles per charge can you do a trip longer than 250mi, and if so how does the charging system work?
    Charging system works via a system installed at the owner's home. It's not very complicated - it's basically just a big cell phone charger. I believe a 10% to 100% charge takes about three hours with the high-end option.

How often do you need to drive over 400km in one go? Not very often. Do you think people would go for a family road trip in an Elise? No. It's not that type of car. So if you're looking for something to take you across the country, it's not the car for you. Similarly, if you want to go off-roading or haul 6 kids around, I'd also advise against it. Luckily, these "flaws" hardy degrade the merit of the car.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 03-09-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Thread Information