• Ford GT

6 21.43%
  • Ford GT40

20 71.43%
  • I would have neither

2 7.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford GT40 vs Ford GT

i don't know if i'd use the venerable 351W in a modern-ish replica.
    having been in a few of the new 5.0 coyote powered falcons i'd definitely opt for the n/a version of that engine!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Both car are great, but like other have said their not at the top of my list. Hard to chose, GT for every day and GT40 for the track.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i don't know if i'd use the venerable 351W in a modern-ish replica.
    I think the reason for the 351W is probably that the dynamics are more similar to that of the FE used in the original GT40. Of course, if originality wasn't a criteria I'd probably give Ford a miss altogether and use an LS.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
    I think the reason for the 351W is probably that the dynamics are more similar to that of the FE used in the original GT40. Of course, if originality wasn't a criteria I'd probably give Ford a miss altogether and use an LS.
    oh yeah, the feel and noise of the newer V8's never quite matches the older ones like a 351W would.
    again, after driving an Ls3 VE clubsport and the new coyote powered falcon, i'd still opt for the coyote 5.0. 414-420rwhp in stock trim, revs hard - i think it would suit the lightweight shell a lot more.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

You know what, I think you guys are right. Thanks for all the info. Although I do like the modern look of the interior, the GT40 seems like the cooler car and as you stated, should be more reliable... And it costs less! And it has AC! I don't think you can go wrong!

I dont think either would be practical on the street. You could drive them, but theyve both got long front overhangs, poor visibility and would be awkward to get in and out of. I'd pick the replica because of the option to spec it how you want.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I dont think either would be practical on the street. You could drive them, but theyve both got long front overhangs, poor visibility and would be awkward to get in and out of. I'd pick the replica because of the option to spec it how you want.
    whoa whoa whoa! Lets step back and take a breathe. I think you just described the perfect super car

Impractical to drive
    difficult to get in and out of
    poor visibility

yup, im goin for the GT40!

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    I I am latterally leaning towards the new GT just because i plan to use it as a daily driver,
    Idk bout a Ford GT as a daily driver..

I got a ride in one, all i can say is WOW. The car is so raw it's insane and it's ridiculously fast
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    Idk bout a Ford GT as a daily driver..

I got a ride in one, all i can say is WOW. The car is so raw it's insane and it's ridiculously fast
    Nope, ive done it. I think the GT would be better... But yeah, why not drive it every day, it has a strong ford engine, however I am not planning on actually driving a car like that Every day, but it is nice knowing I could...

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
    I'd go for the Superformance, purely based on the following video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBL_TRqcc3Y

I would also consider the Gardener Douglas T70 if you get it in the US and a roof isn't quite so important to you. However there appears to be far more attention to detail on the Superformance.

Out of interest, does anyone know what transaxle the Superformance uses? I assumed it used a Porsche G50 like most other mid-engined 'kit' cars using the Ford & LS V8s (Ultima, T70), but I can find no reference to it on Superformance's site.

Edit: Answered my own question ... uses an RBT transaxle.

The 351W V8 is a proven powerplant and to my knowledge have been fairly reliable in Cobra kits. There's far less to go wrong on the Superformance than on the Ford GT, so I wouldn't doubt for a second that it would be more reliable than the GT.
    I've never seen Tif so happy in his life. He usually enjoy his drives. This one, even more so.

Ford GT40 for me, if only for a track day car.

i don't know if i'd commute every day in it, but certainly some days i'd be able to take it out.
    i'd also go touring in it, drive to sydney etc.

I'm sure you could commute in it some days...

that's what i mean; there would definitely be days where i'd be able to take it to and from work or whatever, like when i start late in the morning and skip peak hour etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I've never seen Tif so happy in his life. He usually enjoy his drives. This one, even more so.

Ford GT40 for me, if only for a track day car.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goGqQoGcgj0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goGqQoGcgj0[/ame]

Clarkson who?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I can't stand that guy... His voice is sooo annoying.

Thread Information