Thread: Hi from long-time lurker :Exige:

Hi from long-time lurker :Exige:

Hi all, it's :Exige: here, if anyone remembers me?

It's been a while since I've posted, though I've still been visiting regularly to check out the updates.

So it appears that I've finally bought into a British marque, though not the one that my username would suggest. I've had it since early April, though I'm still yet to take it on circuit. It's a road-registered Ginetta G27 R.

It's got an 1800 Raceline Zetec on Weber 45s with a modest but VERY torquey 150bhp, weighs around the 600kg mark minus driver, straight-cut Tranx close ratio gearbox, Quaife LSD on a live axle, adjustable brake bias, fully race prepared and FIA/MSA compliant. And it's road registered. Stiff suspension and quick rack steering means that it's quite hairy on the road, but fun nonetheless. It's got better aero than the 7-style cars, so it's much more stable at higher speeds. I believe it's geared for 125mph-ish, presuming that the ratios haven't been changed from the Ginetta G27R Championship specs.

It's off the road for the winter as of yesterday, and I've got a few bits planned. I'll take the body off and see what's underneath, and replace some bolts, though judging by the chassis members which are visible, the chassis won't need re-coating for many years to come. It's got a one-piece body, but I'm thinking that I might separate the interior from the body and rivet in some ally panelling. It would make the car more maintainable if the bulkhead were attached to the chassis, and the transmission tunnel were removable. Then the body will remove without any problem and provide better access to, well, everything. It's pretty maintainable in its current form to be fair.

I might also do the ARP bolts in the engine, just for longevity. Current rev limit is about 7200rpm, but with the ARP bolts in it'll be safer up to 7800rpm. I'm not going to worry too much engine mods over the Winter, though if some nice bike carbs with the right inlet manifold come up, I might go that way and get myself a Megajolt programmable ignition. I'm currently on Lumenition, but the software is terrible and nobody has any useful presets. The coolant hoses need doing too, so I'll make up some nice silicone jobbies.

Anyway, I hope this post is sufficiently long enough to make up for the years I've not really been making a contribution to this forum (apart from clicking adverts, of course!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

welcome back, good to see you have turned your enthusiasm into reality. Are you planning trackday use, clubraces or just having fun between the hedges?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Wow, nice to see you back!

Yes, I do remember you.

Nice to see that you're doing well.

ooh a ginetta.. they've just been making some sales with these locally of late. good stuff.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    welcome back, good to see you have turned your enthusiasm into reality. Are you planning trackday use, clubraces or just having fun between the hedges?
    Thanks Henk. Due to the scarcity of some of the bodywork, it'll just be a track toy and a bit of a garage project, unless I can make up some moulds. I'd rather be racing in Tin Tops where I'll be less worried of damage; rubbing is racing after all

I remember you both too NSX and clutch. Who else is still about? Did EggNog ever come back?

That does look like great fun to drive. Congratulations and welcome back!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
    Thanks Henk. Due to the scarcity of some of the bodywork, it'll just be a track toy and a bit of a garage project, unless I can make up some moulds. I'd rather be racing in Tin Tops where I'll be less worried of damage; rubbing is racing after all

I remember you both too NSX and clutch. Who else is still about? Did EggNog ever come back?
    I may be wrong, but didn't EggNog have some health issues?

I hope he didn't, but i distinctly remember one member that had very poor health.

Nice Ginetta, offered one that is currently competing in the sprint and Hillclimb championship. a VERY capable chassis

Easy to repair .... go do some sprints, autoX and hillclimbs. MUCH safer than trackdays and more MORE fun

Special Ginetta version of STR stickers available from here
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That does look like great fun to drive. Congratulations and welcome back!
    Thanks Wouter, it certainly is a hoot to drive.
    I may be wrong, but didn't EggNog have some health issues?
    That's terrible news if that's the case!
    Nice Ginetta, offered one that is currently competing in the sprint and Hillclimb championship. a VERY capable chassis
    Thanks! I was originally looking at the Fury (which is arguably an even better chassis), but then this one came up with all of the race goodies, so I couldn't really turn it down I managed to get hold of a build manual so I know what belongs to what now. The only parts which seem difficult to get hold of are the bodywork (though the factory do a G20 bonnet for the G27), windscreen and the wishbones. If the windscreen went, I'd probably cut down the pillars and put in an aeroscreen, ala the race G4/G20.

My biggest temptation is to attempt to fit a G20 Junior body. I tried this one out at Goodwood a few years back and I just love the shape of the rear:

150bhp per 600 kg must be really exciting. It's a very nice car, my congratulations!
    Wish I could see live someday

Exactly, 150bhp and 600kg are hardly "modest"...

Welcome back!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Gotta love that straight-cut gearbox whine! Welcome back, I remember you! Car sounds like it would be way fun.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
    Hi all, it's :Exige: here, if anyone remembers me?

It's been a while since I've posted, though I've still been visiting regularly to check out the updates.

So it appears that I've finally bought into a British marque, though not the one that my username would suggest. I've had it since early April, though I'm still yet to take it on circuit. It's a road-registered Ginetta G27 R.

It's got an 1800 Raceline Zetec on Weber 45s with a modest but VERY torquey 150bhp, weighs around the 600kg mark minus driver, straight-cut Tranx close ratio gearbox, Quaife LSD on a live axle, adjustable brake bias, fully race prepared and FIA/MSA compliant. And it's road registered. Stiff suspension and quick rack steering means that it's quite hairy on the road, but fun nonetheless. It's got better aero than the 7-style cars, so it's much more stable at higher speeds. I believe it's geared for 125mph-ish, presuming that the ratios haven't been changed from the Ginetta G27R Championship specs.

It's off the road for the winter as of yesterday, and I've got a few bits planned. I'll take the body off and see what's underneath, and replace some bolts, though judging by the chassis members which are visible, the chassis won't need re-coating for many years to come. It's got a one-piece body, but I'm thinking that I might separate the interior from the body and rivet in some ally panelling. It would make the car more maintainable if the bulkhead were attached to the chassis, and the transmission tunnel were removable. Then the body will remove without any problem and provide better access to, well, everything. It's pretty maintainable in its current form to be fair.

I might also do the ARP bolts in the engine, just for longevity. Current rev limit is about 7200rpm, but with the ARP bolts in it'll be safer up to 7800rpm. I'm not going to worry too much engine mods over the Winter, though if some nice bike carbs with the right inlet manifold come up, I might go that way and get myself a Megajolt programmable ignition. I'm currently on Lumenition, but the software is terrible and nobody has any useful presets. The coolant hoses need doing too, so I'll make up some nice silicone jobbies.

Anyway, I hope this post is sufficiently long enough to make up for the years I've not really been making a contribution to this forum (apart from clicking adverts, of course!).
    Hey nice to say you again and a warm welcome..thanks for your contribution towards this forum...
    austin auto repair
    http://carterstrans.com/

Thread Information