Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Lotus Elise (Series 2) 2001-

under those circumstances these small weight differences are purely academic. It becomes all warped when you put in a 60 kg midget or 100 kg american....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    under those circumstances these small weight differences are purely academic. It becomes all warped when you put in a 60 kg midget or 100 kg american....
    That was somehow my point. Just adding the radio makes a difference in the Elise, while on heavier cars like a Cayenne you don't even care how much weight you can save trough different wheels.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

A 100kg 'merican won't fit in an Elise...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    A 100kg 'merican won't fit in an Elise...
    I know of a 6ft5 european who does fit, and he is very close to 100 kg...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

A 115kg 191cm Australian fits in one without a problem.

The Elise chassis gained weight from 1st to 2nd gen when they lowered sill hight to make entry and exit much easier. They had to add material though to keep stiffness.

The early 1st gen cars also had aluminium brake rotors. These stopped being available not long before the facelift as the company manufacturing them went bankrupt.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    A 115kg 191cm Australian fits in one without a problem.

The Elise chassis gained weight from 1st to 2nd gen when they lowered sill hight to make entry and exit much easier. They had to add material though to keep stiffness.

The early 1st gen cars also had aluminium brake rotors. These stopped being available not long before the facelift as the company manufacturing them went bankrupt.
    As wrote before the weight gain was small between the S1 and the S2.
    Much more in this case, even if as you underlined many subtle modification can result in a sensible difference.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Not the biggest fan of the new front end. Not horrible, but definitely could have gone better.

To add a bit to the weight argument, they were kind of gimicky getting around crash safety requirments for the US for the 2nd gen (our first.) A lot of the weight increase may have come from now having to meet those standards. I'm not the biggest fan of a weight increase but in this case I don't think they could have done much to avoid it without adding a great deal of cost. Besides, if you're really wanting something more hardcore and lighter weight you could always get the street version of the 2-eleven. We can't, but you could.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information