Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So you think you know your cars ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    If you are a car geek, you know about cars in all of the world, regardless of our nationality! (i know about american brands which have never been sold in Europe and only existed up till 10 years before my birth.
    I am a car geek and i do know cars from all over the world, just not obscure Asian ones that i have never seen in person and only heard of a few times through posts in this forum and from what i have seen through random pictures, both Ssangyong and Tata produce boring/ugly/cheap cars. Nothing that would invoke my interest in wanting to gain more knowledge about the company. Tata is held in higher regard tho because they own some big name companies now.

And i hope you know American brands like Ford and Chevy, Chevy is dominating you touring car series over there at the moment, Ssangyong, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Reminded me of this

What do you expect, she's an ok looking blonde that got famous for making fun of people lol

That was really interesting RM. Last night I read briefly about "native" Taiwanese having problems with the Nationalists coming and running the show.

So did many Kuomintang supporters/Nationalists immigrate near the end of the civil war and/or after it ended?

I also read that there are Taiwanese aboriginals (I meant "native" above as earlier mainland Chinese immigrants) to further complicate things, but they are now a small percentage of population. Are they persecuted?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 12-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.

26/26 :42 meh.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    That was really interesting RM. Last night I read briefly about "native" Taiwanese having problems with the Nationalists coming and running the show.

So did many Kuomintang supporters/Nationalists immigrate near the end of the civil war and/or after it ended?

I also read that there are Taiwanese aboriginals (I meant "native" above as earlier mainland Chinese immigrants) to further complicate things, but they are now a small percentage of population. Are they persecuted?
    The people who ran were usually the ones rich and in power, or have the means to run. Remember that Mao plays up the class warfare, as with any communist revolution....I don't know raw numbers though. My grandparents from my mom's side went to Hong Kong a year or so before the actual exodus, seeing something maybe afoot. But all their properties was lost, they eventually went to Taiwan....

The Native Taiwan aboriginals are probably closer related to the pacific rim people from the Philippines and other south pacific islanders. They were initially persecuted in the mainland migration traces back to around Ming Dynasty time. Much like American Indians they ended up retreated to the less accessible eastern Taiwan and the mountainous region in the central part of the island. I think the worse time for them those was during the Japanese occupation in the early part of 20th century...though I am sure there are some friction still after the war when the nationalist came. But at that point assimilation had happened for a while then....

Much like American Indian and First Nations in Canada, the people who want to can stay in their reserve, or they can work and live among others...I think there are seats in the Taiwanese parliments reserved for the aboriginals in every election...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

If you are a car geek, you know about cars in all of the world, regardless of our nationality! (i know about american brands which have never been sold in Europe and only existed up till 10 years before my birth.
    Don't think of you as a dick .
    I deeply respect your comments on this forum (do you use the same Nick on "the forum whom shall not be named"?), so don't fear that .

What i reacted most strongly to was that NSX chose to label Ssangyoung as a chinese brand in a post, instead of doing the "proper" thing and research about the brand before posting.
    If only posters used 2x the time on researching before making a post, we would see much more knowledge and less posts based on feelings, and thru that become a much stronger and nicer forum! (unfortunately i haven't found a forum who can embrace this completely)

But my post was also meant a bit like a trap, as i don't bash out directly at NSX. If NSX sees himself like a guy with more than average car knowledge, i'm not bashing him as i my mind it would be ok not knowing about Ssangyoung. But if he sees himself as a "car geek" well then it's meant as a bash, and well placed, if i must say
    I try to learn as much as possible, but the Chinese brands really don't interest me much.

Certain cars strike my fancy, others don't.

It goes to show what type of products they make when I'm Chinese and I have no interest in my native country's products.

No harm done, don't worry.

And to add RacingManiac, I identify myself as more from Hong Kong than China, even though Hong Kong has been handed back to China, I'm not okay with the politics in China.

Technically speaking, Taiwan is the official China.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Technically speaking, Taiwan is the official China.
    ... and Britain the official America? Or further back, the first nations? Hah.

... and Britain the official America? Or further back, the first nations? Hah.
    Haha, if you want to look at it that way.

China wasn't recognized officially as a country until Nixon went over and visited.

For practical purpose, China is China, they have too much political and economical pull that the simple ideology like "Communism vs Domecracy" is not going to make Taiwan the "recognized" China....In a sense Nixon has the foresight to do that....

At the moment, China isn't doing that badly. People have means to be upwardly mobile, and mouths have means of getting fed. As long as that is the case, that country will not change in the drastic ways that we are seeing the middle east dictators topple. People's priority at the moment is econimical well being of themselves and their family. Not until that priority changes to some more ideological, that we will see China change...Hong Kong's return to China in 97 was faced with fear and anxiety, but the reality there hasn't really change that much. China was too smart to meddle with a good thing....

This is REALLY off topic...lol we should move this elsewhere...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Communism and democracy are not enemies; rather capitalism and communism are.

"-ism" is the "enemy"
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

China would have a word with you about that....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Only one that seemed a bit challenging to me was the vettel-infiniti.

"-ism" is the "enemy"
    Pacifism is definitely the worst -ism.

What about Neutralism?

Cue Futurama quote.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information