Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes: Great Cars, but why governed?

Mercedes: Great Cars, but why governed?

Mercedes is a great company, but why do they govern all of their cars, and even race cars, I guess I understand why, for safety, but on race cars? I think it's going a bit far.
    Puff Daddy says his Ferrari 360 Spider can go 220 because the speedo says so
    *coughretardcough*

anyone ??
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Yeah like that new Audi 600 bhp supercar and the new CL65 AMG.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by RS6
    Yeah like that new Audi 600 bhp supercar and the new CL65 AMG.
    yeah really crap rules
    A CL65 AMG with 612 bhp,limited on 155 mph,heh
    CL55 can go over 300 km/h,i think CL65 can go over 320 km/h but its too heavy 2155 kg!
    and go on the road like a panzer(tank)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unhappy >:(

Yes, what garbage, the SL 65 AMG and the S 65 AMG will also be limited to 155 mph. The cars would have like a max speed of 180 mph if they weren't governed. Not all luxury cars are governed, just look at the Bentley Continental GT and all the Aston Martin cars.

Re: >:(

Originally posted by DiabloGTR
    Yes, what garbage, the SL 65 AMG and the S 65 AMG will also be limited to 155 mph. The cars would have like a max speed of 180 mph if they weren't governed. Not all luxury cars are governed, just look at the Bentley Continental GT and all the Aston Martin cars.
    with 612 hp, I can assure you they would go faster
    *coughretardcough*

the SL55 can do 190mph if u ask them to remove the speed limiter for you. and that 190 is still limited electronically !! the car can actually do over 200mph but no tire manufacturor makes tires for these speeds in such a car !!
    so i guess the 65 will even do more than that !! 220 mph maybe ?!!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

my favorite merc at the moment would have to be the kleenman SL55, here's some picks, tell me what u think, if you like mercs then you'll fall in love just like i did,lol.

badboy

Originally posted by Misho
    the SL55 can do 190mph if u ask them to remove the speed limiter for you. and that 190 is still limited electronically !! the car can actually do over 200mph but no tire manufacturor makes tires for these speeds in such a car !!
    or you could just remove it yourself, add in a rracing chip, and go fast as hell, and a weight reduction would blow any car away on the streetes ever
    *coughretardcough*

Originally posted by Misho
    SL55 can goes 320 km/h(or 325) but you must change the tyres
    and Maybach!!!!
    can goes over 280 km/h?

As you are probably aware Germany is currently the only country in the world where on some parts of the motorway there is no speed limit, however the recommended speed is 130 kph (which is f.i. also the maximum speed allowed in France, and which Mr. Alesi just forgot about recently).
    Nevertheless German carmakers reached a sort of gentleman agreement that all their car capable of speeds over 250 kph (way above the recommended speed) should be governed. All official carmakers stick to this, but there are numerous tuning companies where you can have your car "liberated" , but with loss of warranty.
    This arrangement is similar to the Japanese situation where the horsepower is officially restricted to 280.

Although you are therefore free to drive at any speed (but on a decreasing number of stretches of the motorway) there is one additional catch. If you get involved in an accident while doing over 130 kph, you will get at least part of the blame, which could turn out very expensive, as your insurance company will also take note.

So stop worrying about the speed limiters in Germany, they only start working when in all the countries that the earlier contributors to this thread originate from, you have already reached a highly illegal speed. Furthermore, I don't think many of you will go to closed circuits to really test the top speed of your car.

I just read a very interesting and worrying article in Auto Motor und Sport (German), where the story was told about a lady, driving a Kia on the fast lane, (out of three) doing about 140 kph. She was about to shift to the middle lane, having completed het overtaking manoeuvre, when she got so scared of a 600CLK which approached her doing more than 200 kph, that she lost control, veered over to the right side of the road, hit a tree and got killed instantly, together with her young child.

Further investigation resulted in the identification of the car involved, and it was a car owned by the Mercedes factory, and at that time driven by a test driver, on its way to a test track in the north of Germany. This guy had such a reputation that collegues were warned not to share a car with him.

He is likely to appear in court soon, and it could be the forebode of a general speed limitation, also in Germany. Now imagine when that takes place, what excuse do car builders have to make cars that can go more than say 150 kph? You might even say that governments are acting illegally if they allow such a car on the road. The way I see it, the fun is almost over.

Originally posted by henk4
    600CLK
    eh,ok
    but 600CLK????????
    or CLK500? or 55?

it was a CL 600, dark blue. (to me Benzes are all look alike anyway). My comments were not meant to discredit Benz, could also have made in case a BMW or a Porsche had been involved.

Originally posted by henk4
    it was a CL 600, dark blue. (to me Benzes are all look alike anyway). My comments were not meant to discredit Benz, could also have made in case a BMW or a Porsche had been involved.
    hehehe,yeah CL600 is big and scary
    Originally posted by henk4 (to me Benzes are all look alike anyway
    huh? really? but why?

Thread Information