Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauber switches to Michelin, possible opportunity for Toyota and Bridgestone?

Sauber switches to Michelin, possible opportunity for Toyota and Bridgestone?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31505

SAUBER DEFECT TO MICHELIN
    Last Updated: Tuesday, 02, November, 2004, 17:14

Sauber have made a shock switch from Bridgestone to Michelin tyres.

The contract begins with immediate effect, meaning that Sauber will conduct their first test with Michelin tyres between November 24 and 26 in Barcelona.

The Swiss team’s defection means that only Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi are left on Bridgestone rubber.

Team boss Peter Sauber said: "I’m very pleased that we were able to sign this contract with Michelin and I’m looking forward to a successful co-operation.

"At the same time I would like to thank Bridgestone for a good partnership during the past six years."

It is understood that Sauber made the decision to end their association with Bridgestone because they were unhappy with the Japanese rubber's lack of pace over a single lap, a characteristic that restricted their tactical flexibility.

Sauber's switch increases the number of Michelin teams to seven out of 10 - although Jaguar's future is still in question.

Under F1 rules, tyre manufacturers must only be prepared to supply 60 per cent of the grid. Michelin already did that, so they could have resisted Sauber's move if they had wanted to.

Clearly, the opportunity to deal rivals Bridgestone a bloody nose was too tempting to miss out on.

Michelin competitions boss Pierre Dupasquier said: "As we demonstrated in 2004, our technology makes a significant contribution to the performance of Formula 1 cars equipped by Michelin.

"I look forward to enabling Sauber Petronas to benefit from this progress."

The move puts further distance between the Swiss team and engine partners Ferrari.

Only 10 days ago, Sauber left Ferrari isolated by signing up to a cost-cutting plan that the world champions opposed.

It remains to be seen whether a rival outift will make the reverse trip from Michelin to Bridgestone. Toyota have been linked with a switch to the Japanese company.
    I am the Stig

are they going to announce an engine switch next week?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Why would they want to swap engines? You can't get much better than a Ferrari engine, even if it IS slightly outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    Why would they want to swap engines? You can't get much better than a Ferrari engine, even if it IS slightly outdated.
    just read the full message, they also signed an agreement to which Ferrari opposes.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

you might think thats the next step.....no more Ferrari gearbox, no more bridgestones, and they signed the cost cutting agreement that Ferrari havent...
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    just read the full message, they also signed an agreement to which Ferrari opposes.
    Sorry... my mistake. I was just wondering why on earth anyone would want to "distance" themselves from a world-champion marque like Ferrari.

Maybe they just want to get out of their shadow, have their achievements NOT put down to the use of Ferrari parts etc.
    I am the Stig

Hopefully this move will further advance Sauber in the direction of being a suitable contender. They made a great jump foward this year, and it would be nice to see them made another big leap forward next year.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

conspiracy theories 'R' us adds ......

Maybe it's the precursor to Ferrari switching to Michelins.
    Let Sauber do the 'testing' to see if they're better than the Bridgestones on the Ferrari rear-end package.
    If Michelins were faster, then Ferrari woudl switch, if they're not then the stay on Bridgestones.

And theory #2 - now Ferrari can squeeze a little more out of Bridgstone
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

well they already practically get Bridgestone to do the work for them, with Michelin theyve got the lines of BAR, Renault, Williams and McLaren to support, if Ferrari just jumped in and ordered them around, they probably wont get the tyre they want
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    I was just wondering why on earth anyone would want to "distance" themselves from a world-champion marque like Ferrari.
    I can't really imagine anyone would want to get close to them.
    Thanks for all the fish

Why?

It does seem odd to me that Sauber with what is effectively a cutsomer Ferrari are swopping tyre's!
    www.IrishPerformanceCars.com

Possibly to give Ferrari extra insight on the Michelin tires, since they already know how a Ferrari works on Bridgestones.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I meant why in reference to 'Coventrysucks' post stating that he can't imagine why anyone would want to be close to Ferrari.

I can understand other teams defecting to Michelin as Bridgestone seem to only develop a Ferrari specific tyre but with such close links to Ferrari the Sauber move is strange
    www.IrishPerformanceCars.com

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM3
    I meant why in reference to 'Coventrysucks' post stating that he can't imagine why anyone would want to be close to Ferrari.

I can understand other teams defecting to Michelin as Bridgestone seem to only develop a Ferrari specific tyre but with such close links to Ferrari the Sauber move is strange
    "Hello Saauber ?"
    "Yes, you're through to the Sauber F1 team"
    "Hi, it's Ferrari F1 team here. We've a great offer for you. Woudl you liek a better engine and more suport next year?"
    "hell YES"
    "OK, we want you to run Michelin tyres"
    "But we'll be slower"
    "so"
    "Why do you want us to do that"
    "Because you will then tell us the good and bad points of the Michelin tyres. You will be our spies"
    "I'm not sure we can do that. It' swrong. It's not in th espirit of F1"
    "Well we're not sure if we can give you an engine"
    "gulp ......... OK"

Could Ferrari be TAHT devious ? HELL YES
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information