Thread: Keating SKR

Keating SKR

Keating SKR, 2008

General Information.

Price: £90,000-£125,000 (About $180,000-$250,000)
    Car type: Two-seater coupe
    Layout: Mid-engine/RWD
    Main dimensions (L x Wx H): 170 x 73.5 x 45 in (4,313 x 1,867 x 1,149 mm)
    Kerb (curb) Weight: 2,620 lb (1,190 kg)

Engine and transmission
    Type: V-8 pushrod ohv [520 and 650 supercharged]
    Displacement: 5,970 cc [7,000 cc]
    Power output: 404 @ 6,000 rpm [500, 520 or 650 bhp]
    Torque: 400 lb ft (542 Nm) @4,000 rpm [745 lb ft/640 Nm @4,800 rpm for SKR500]
    Redline: 7,000 rpm, all engines
    Transmission: Five-speed manual

Performance
    0-60 mph: 4.0 seconds
    Top Speed: 160 mph upward

From; fast-autos.com

A brand new supercar is always exciting, and the Keating SKR supercar has the right ingredients: tubular frame, Chevy V-8 installed amidships, and sleek low-slung body. The Keating is not a new kid on the block as the Keating has been under development for eight years, and a prototype was shown at the British Motor Show in 2006.

Shown under a different name two years ago(anyone know what???), the Keating SKR is now ready for production with four different power outputs: 400, 500, 520 and 650 bhp. the lower powered cars get the GM 6.0-liter LS2 unit from the 2007 Chevy Corvette, while the others are powered by the GM LS7 7.0 liter engine. Using a big V-8 is an easy way to get plenty of power and low speed torque, which is what you need for a road car.

160 mph and upwards, acceleration to match

Performance depends on the engine, but Keating says that the base model will reach 60 mph in under 4 seconds and hit 160 mph. The SKR 650 will be down near 3 seconds, and will reach 180 mph.

A low mid-engine coupe, the Keating SKR is reminiscent of many others of its type, with an air dam and low wide grille with rather small side air intakes below large plastic covers over the lamps. The front fenders sweep up and down into the rear fenders, and there is a fastback coachroof.

Typical styling for a mid-engined coupe

There are air outlets behind the front wheels, and an air scoop for the engine in the roof, which no doubt restricts rear vision, and large side air intakes. To reduce lift, there is a splitter at the front, a flat underside, and diffusers at the rear. In addition, there is a large wing,mounted high above the tail.

The car is not too large at 170 inches (4,313 mm) long, and is about the right height at 45 inches (1,149 mm).

Steel frame, but carbon fiber tub available

The SKR is based on a steel tubular frame – in fact, Keating used an Ultima frame in the first prototype – but a carbon fiber tub has been developed, and will be used on the racing versions, called TKRs. Suspension is by double wishbones.

Keating claims a weight of 2,620 lb (1,190 kg) for the car, with the weight coming down to just under 2,200 lb (1,000 kg) for the models with carbon fiber tubs. The lower weight is just about the same as the Ultima GTR, although the Keating will be more fully equipped.

404-650 bhp from Chevy V-8s

The base model is powered by the standard engine from the Corvette, and so produces 404 bhp at 6,000 rpm, with 400 lb ft (542 Nm) at 4,000 rpm. The 500 bhp version is a tuned version of the same engine, but 525 bhp and 650 bhp versions of the GM LS7 engine are available. These are supercharged.

1,000 or 1,600 bhp coming, or is this a dream?

For racing, Keating has been working with Nelson Racing Engines in the USA on twin turbo engines producing 1,000 bhp and, hold your hat, 1,600 bhp! Of course, it is feasible to get 200 bhp liter from an engine with intense turbocharging, but whether there is any point is an interesting question.

These will surely need a completely new transaxle, rather than the modified Porsche five-speed unit, similar to that used in the Ultima GTR. Of course, five-speeds are plenty for road use with this sort of power.

Up to 550 bhp per tonne

Power-to-weight ratio ranges from 336 to 550 bhp for the four production models. Thus the top model will be up there with the exotic cars in performance.

To ease access, the doors of the standard models hinge upwards at an angle, and have small cut-outs into the roof as on the Ford GT40. However, this is not feasible with the carbon fiber tub, which is made in Italy.

Keating says that the complete interior will be trimmed to suit the requirement of each customer, with the option of digital or analog instruments and a variety of seats.

With the base model priced at £90,000 ($180,000) , Keating is taking on Ferrari and Lamborghini, but at £125,000 ($250,000), the SKR 650 offers a lot of power for the price. The Keating SKR is the result of a long development programme. The original plan was to build just the 1,000 bhp version and the price was to have been around £300,000 and for 300 to have been built. The price and plan to build 25 cars a year are more realistic.

There is no doubting the strong desire of Andrew Keating, who is behind it, to make the car a success. Therefore, despite the strong competition, the company should be able to find buyers for this new supercar.
    The TKR, is still in development as far as i know.

Managed to find a few pictures as well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the downforce be with you

haha that track is like half an hour away from me lol, we do rallies there
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Kind of 90's looking, but not ugly.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Unofficial speed record by 1825 PS Keating TKR - 418,43 km/h = 260,00 mph.

418 km/h schnell: Briten-Brutalo Keating TKR mit 1825 PS - Auto - Bild.de

The missing headlights don't make a huge difference, but make me think something else isn't just right.
    Still chunky.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

looks kinda generic...reminds me somewhat of the Ascari...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Press release
    These will surely need a completely new transaxle, rather than the modified Porsche five-speed unit, similar to that used in the Ultima GTR. Of course, five-speeds are plenty for road use with this sort of power.
    With 1600bhp, you could probably leave it in 5th all the time...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

"Damn!" if that is true about the speed.

Looks like a few factors from a Saleen S7, Carrera GT and an Ascari were all taken, the dimensions made smaller the curves were just redesigned from there to accommodate. Not bad, but definitely odd
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

The rear end of the Zonda is gone, as well as the wing.
    Even assuming the speed achieved is true, I'm wondering how is the handling going to be without the spoiler.
    The Koenigsegg showed to be considerably slower on various track and also difficult to control. This car, on the other hand, didn't work at the first press event, with mach failures ending the demonstration after a 800 meters iirc.
    In this situation, I don't think we should be preoccupied by the aerodynamics.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I saw pics of this a while back. Doesn't look bad and is certainly going to go fast. However its very raw, and I doubt this is going to go head to head with Ferrari easily. The cockpit looks not much bigger than an Elise!

Evo magazine had a short test drive,-short because it took place in what seemed to be a driveway and because the test car broke- a while back.
    Verdict: frighteningly bad.
    A press release says that Keating had a dream of building some kind of "everyday supercar"...well even before he got in the game, for 100K pounds he could have had his pick from numerous makes and models.

Moronic power claims, 90's generic looks, parts bin construction ...how can this car fail to succeed?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

The crate motor, the Porsche tranaxle...etc it screams to me Ultima, but its not.....and then it costs $180,000.....pretty ridiculous all in all....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information