Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What to ask ACO principal Jean-Claude Plassart?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The B-K Mazda's MZR-R is based off the MZR engine and built by AER.

If you look into the past, there are tons of production derived engines and as recently as the early 2000s, Porsche took a racing engine and modified it to fit in one of their cars.
    if you are referring to that of the Carrera GT, that is almost pure ad.
    it's like those journalists saying the new Ferrari California is based and born on the Maserati Granturismo...yes, it's true, but then the later project developed so much in its own direction that now they are two completely different cars. the main difference is simply that the Ferrari have a mainly-aluminum chassis, while the Maserati uses one of steel. different materials, imply different dimensions and mechanical characteristics.

yes I know, I'm off topic...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

What came up to my mind was the watercooled flat 6 from the GT1, which was the same block as used in 996 GT3, Turbo, GT2 and basis for all the higher performance 911 since...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    What came up to my mind was the watercooled flat 6 from the GT1, which was the same block as used in 996 GT3, Turbo, GT2 and basis for all the higher performance 911 since...
    good call

I believe the geometry is based off the MZR or some such thing anyways - I knew AER made it a race engine but Mazda I thought was somehow involved.

What about the flat-6 in the 956/962?

I believe the geometry is based off the MZR or some such thing anyways - I knew AER made it a race engine but Mazda I thought was somehow involved.

it was only used on some 962 "road legal" models afaik

Apparently the 956/962 and the 911 GT1 are closely related.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wouldn't be entirely surprised if they are.....the modern watercooled 911 engines were probably all a development of sorts from those....

Mazda provided the input for the direct injection system...which AER was trying to develop for a long time....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I was trying to say that I thought the 956 was a production derived engine.

I was trying to say that I thought the 956 was a production derived engine.
    Well the engine in the 956/962 is losely related to the one in the 930.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I was referring to current LMP1/2 engines, no need to recall history. Which car uses a Zytek V8? Which car uses a Judd V10? Is there a Porsche V8 based on the LMP2 engine? Is there a Honda V8 based on the current Acura engine?The only LMP1 engine related to series production was the Lavaggi Ford V8, and we all know how well that worked. It seems that ACO will be closing the loophole for the LMP1 based on production engines.
    At least Audi used their diesel V12 to further develop common rail systems, that are now taking over from the pump jet systems. Their V12 diesel engine for the Q7 and the R8 is a totally different one.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Political Hypocrisy and Circus Stunts!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    answer. "We want to introduce new technologies into racing and give them a real chance to be successful. We may have underestimated the diesel potential, but so have many consumers who thought that diesel would never perform".
    so we cripple the petrol cars to give diesels the false image of being better performers than petrol - what a croc of political b/s!

next we will handicap ALL cars to give hybrids an artificial performance boost and advantage '....because we want to introduce new technologies into racing and give them a chance to be successful."

sorry, cars generally should win races because they have better power/weight ratios and are superior and should never be handicapped to let some chosen faction '"have a better chance".

Otherwise it is not racing just a b circus stunt!

and that was and still is the thrust and intent of my original question and please do not deflect it into some semantically distorted prejudice against diesels as none exists - just an attempt to have a level racing field

if any prejudice is herein displayed sir, it is one against thwarting the true nature of racing by allowing any class of motive power to enjoy a considerable power advantage over any other as the existing regulations afford the diesels of AUDI and PEUGEOT

time such blatant practices were outlawed for good

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwieb View Post
    so we cripple the petrol cars to give diesels the false image of being better performers than petrol - what a croc of political b/s!
    Maybe it is time to take a step a bit back from the result of the regulations and take a look at the cause. When the ACO established the equivalency for diesel engines, they simply copied the FIA suggestions. These had worked well, where they were used like in the Rallye Raids. Unfortunately for the ACO and also the FIA, Audi, Peugeot and Seat sped up development, rendering the equivalency obsolete. It is hard to deny that diesel engines have an advantage right now, but it would be rather harsh on Audi and Peugeot to drastically change the regulations just because they did their job better than expected. Over the last two years, detailed changes were made and the gap between the factory diesels and the privateer petrol cars has closed a little. It will be interesting to see what kind of performance a factory non-diesel will do. Only then we can really see just how big the advantage for diesel engines is. I seriously doubt it is as big as it looks right now. Remember that privateers could not touch the Audi R8 either.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwieb View Post
    s
    if any prejudice is herein displayed sir, it is one against thwarting the true nature of racing by allowing any class of motive power to enjoy a considerable power advantage over any other as the existing regulations afford the diesels of AUDI and PEUGEOT

time such blatant practices were outlawed for good
    they were the only LMP1 FACTORY teams for quite some time...and factory means budget and budget means performance. Were you in favour of a rule change when the Audi R8 dominated for many more years than the current diesel cars?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

And the Lavvagi Ford V8 was basically the same engine that Panoz used in the only LMP900 car that rightly and fairly(ie, not an LMP675 car that got merged into LMP1 in '04) beat the Audi R8-the Panoz LMP1/01 Evo. But Panoz also got factory support from Ford and from Roush(now Roush/Yates). Lavvagi isn't getting anything from Ford.

Where to from Here?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    they were the only LMP1 FACTORY teams for quite some time...and factory means budget and budget means performance. Were you in favour of a rule change when the Audi R8 dominated for many more years than the current diesel cars?
    good point henk4 - my simple answer is no, but how do we get more entries from factory teams and are the present regs in some way actually inhibiting big budget players to enter LMP1?

Thread Information