Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Relocated to the US. Young and foolish. Had to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    so do you guys have a similar system where if you get below a certain time you get booted off the track if you don't have an approved rollcage? it's always funny on the casual drag days haha
    NHRA has set rules for times/modifications. ( NHRA E.T. Quick Reference Chart )
    It was always fun kicking guys out when I worked at the dragstrip. One kid came every week and did 1 run with his C6 Z06 w/ nitrous. 10.50@ 135. No cage, helmet, gear, etc.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

haha. the marshalls here will also look for people who know they are running under the time ( 10.99 and under you need a cage here) and obviously back off.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Since it's a vert I do need a 5-point cage, ie. effectively a 6-pointer. I also need a drive shaft loop, as well as a helmet. Luckily my track doesn't care all that much as long as you've signed the waiver, and are on street tires.

Once the car goes into the 11's, I will also be needing the 5-point harness, and SFI-approved scattershield and flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Are you still traction limited on your 1/4 runs?
    Traction is not quite the big problem anymore. I spent some time testing different suspension setups, and my current one seems to be doing a nice job of transfering most of the weight to the back. I am going to have new, wider Falken FK452's put on the rear this Friday though, but that's about it for now. Slicks/DRs will have to wait.
    Turning money into memories.

Is that an NHRA track?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

I don't believe they are anymore. At one point they were an NHRA 1/8th, but these days there's only IHRA/CRAA races. I think they make their profits off of grudge racing events.

Time for an update.

As some know, I blew the stock shortblock to kingdom come. Cause of the failure was determined to be the weak, stock rods, one of which snapped in the compression phase of the downward stroke. I had a feeling it was bound to happen, so I had already lined up a new build, and started trawling the Mustang forums for parts.

The new motor will still be based on a stock aluminum block from Ford with a completely forged rotating assembly. Should be good for up to 1000-1100hp, but I won't taking it that far yet. My old heads were good, so they've been reused and received the most aggressive porting on both intake and exhaust side. Done by hand it takes about 40-50 hours, and it is rather impressive to see and feel the difference when done. Seeing as how I bent a few valves, and would have to replace the assembled valve train, I opted for some new cams as well.

Cams for the 3V Mustangs come in three basic variations; 1) good with stock valve springs required, 2) upgraded valve springs required, and 3) springs and phaser mods required. The latter of the three require the variable cam timing either be locked out completely, or limited from 60 to 20 degrees. I went with the most aggressive from the second category plus some hardened springs that will allow more lift and keep the valvetrain in check at higher revs -- redline should be bumped from 6500 to 7200. I did consider locking out the VCT and going for some race cams, but I honestly didn't feel like getting rid of the VCT. Doing so usually drops a bit of torque down low, but adds it back on up top. My GT is/was a daily driver so I opted to keep the torque .

I've also gotten hold of a new intake manifold from C&L. It should allow the motor to breathe more freely over 5500rpms where the stock, plastic manifold starts to flow badly in boosted applications. Also, tests have shown that a bottom feeder plenum is what Ford Modular motors prefer, as it will allow for a more homogeneous and ideal flow pr. runner. On the C&L the runners come up and over the plenum with the individual intake ports sitting on top.

New clutch is a Spec 3+, which is the most durable street clutch they make. It drives like stock, but can handle up to about 1150nm. Since I'm going for an 8-bolt crank, the stock, 6-bolt flywheel has been ditched for an 8-bolt aluminum.

Fuel supply has been changed from the stock Mustang GT pump with a 12v to 17v bump, to a set of GT500 pumps. If need be I'll add the same 50% overvoltage at wide open throttle on those. To go with them, the fuel injectors have been upgraded from 39 to 60psi.

Now, my goal is for the car to sit between 600-650rwhp -- or 710-760 on the crank -- as that is the practical limit for the stock Tremec 3650 5-speed, and the GT500 fuel pumps. Any higher than that and I'll be looking for the Tremec 6060 6-speed out of the GT500, and a triple fuel pump setup. For the initial break-in phase, I'll be sticking with the 10psi pulley which should make about 530rwhp, but I've been promised different sized pulleys from the company who originally sold me the Rotrex C38-81 head unit.

I think that's about it for now. 600rwhp in a 1620kg car ought to be fun.

Damn, Ras......and I remember when you were asking ME for advice on how to build your GT. My car will be a glorified paper weight compared to your build once its done.

Sounds awesome though. Can't wait to see some vids of that monster running.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

jesus that sounds like it's going to be a weapon
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Where did you learn all this? Did you know anything about Mustangs before you went to the States?

I second all comments. Amazing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

He knew nothing of Mustangs before he moved to the states. Until then he was only interested in good cars
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    He knew nothing of Mustangs before he moved to the states. Until then he was only interested in good cars
    Better be carefull or his GF will kick your butt.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Cheers fellas, thanks. No, I knew jack shit about American cars before I moved here, but being an engineer I always liked to destroy things and putting them back together again. Plus, Mustangs are so delightfully easy to work on, and there are positively loads of reading material out there.

Vids will be up as soon as the motor is back in the car. I'm still waiting on the traction fluid for the Rotrex. It smells an awfully lot like diff oil, but I don't want to risk it.

This is really taking much longer than what I had first expected.

Nevertheless, Built motor adventure

Port and polish?

Thread Information