Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Citroen XM yay or nay?

Citroen XM yay or nay?

My old W126 Benz V8 has been good to me but I'm starting to get that itch to replace it with something different, a new adventure. It's my 3rd Mercedes in a row and in past years I've also been right through the Holden/Falcon/Valiant/Leyland thing, plus heaps of others

I wouldn't necessarily say no to something completely different, just as long as its around the same value. I like larger cars and my priorities would include something that is comfortable, funky enough and achievably reliable

At this stage of life I don't need the hassle of a troublesome uncooperative shitbox. But I've always wanted to own a Citroen before heading off to that proverbial Basement Carpark. Sadly a decent Goddess is too pricey as is the C5. I'm less inclined to risk a CX which is likely a 'brave & courageous' choice and also very hard to find in tidy condition

So that leaves the XM and I've been keeping my eye out for one, but only a manual which are exceedingly rare here. I don't trust the autos but have heard good things about the Citroen 4cyl engine and their manual boxes. This example below is not expensive as far as local XM prices go and is the right spec for me, although an earlier model which apparently aren't as good as the later versions. But I confess to being tempted ...

CITROEN XM 2.0 si 1990 details - CarPoint Australia

It has only recently come up for sale and is located a fair distance from me. I understand XM ownership can prove a mixed bag, potentially durable but often with lots of niggling faults that are mostly solvable. With this in mind should I pursue this further, or am I mad to consider one? Maybe I 'deserve' one!

So does anyone have any tips or opinions or experience to share concerning the XM?
    Last edited by nota; 09-26-2007 at 10:11 AM.

My dad had a first generation XM V6. It had electrical problems from, literally, day one.

But it's such a cool car. Comfortable, roomy and special.

The electrical problems were pretty serious IIRC, involving complete replacement of just about any on board computer in the car.

I don't knwo too much about the XM, but as goes with all Citroëns check out the hydraulic system before purchasing. When it leaks or somehow is broken, it can provide pretty high costs for you. Because of this unique system you might also face a little higher maintenance costs. Make sure to check it out !

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    My dad had a first generation XM V6. It had electrical problems from, literally, day one.

But it's such a cool car. Comfortable, roomy and special.

The electrical problems were pretty serious IIRC, involving complete replacement of just about any on board computer in the car.
    LOL and your summary seems to tally with the little I know of XM. Or more correctly, my impressions

You're right - XMs are cool and special. I know exactly what you mean. But I keep wondering if I can handle the stress of its idiosyncracies, eg the unsolvable barrage of their multiple warning lights going off all the time on that 'digital matrix' feature/curse thingo

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    I keep wondering if I can handle the stress of its idiosyncracies, eg the unsolvable barrage of their multiple warning lights going off all the time on that 'digital matrix' feature/curse thingo
    The problem is: You can't. The XM is a great car but reliable it won't be, especially at 130,000 miles. You might love the funky style and unique way of doing things, but you'll probably see the red mist a little too often to actually notice the good qualities once you've bought it.

If you already have a daily driver, then it may be worth the risk, but if you're looking it as your one-and-only car, it pains me to say this, but I urge you not to go for it.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

some years ago I have a XM like this, same year and motor. is my 'regular' car about a year and half and never have special problemas (in same time I have a BMW Bavaria 3.0 for pleasure and nice weekends )
    but this end are ingloryus... in a rain day, in the national highroad A1, I have a aquaplanning and the car went very fast to the board of the road, go up away a little hillside and 'turn' is self ("capotou", in my language... sorry)
    that's the end... but I have a lot of good memorys about him. it's a nice car and, my lucky, I never have serial problems
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

In all honesty Nota, i wouldn't touch a Second-hand citroen.

the XM's are cool and different, but i'd certainly have a second car handy
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I wouldn't go for it either, thats a lot of ks for an XM, stay clear... :S
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Thank you very much for your contributions

I see doubts voiced from almost everywhere although our Portugese contingent offers a split opinion. I'm grateful to all. Fwiw I ended up ringing the seller who initially glowed with praise for his XM. But a few probing questions gave me the hint that he has decided to sell it for the same reasons that I am reluctant to buy it

Ahh well, so maybe not this time .. and thanks again fellas!

My uncle used to own one of these. Back in the day it was a retro alternative to the BMW. Personally I love it. Think its a great piece of history to own if you have the chance. As long as it is in good working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Please don't generalise.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    My parents 12 yr old ZX diesel is still going strong, and has been faultless, although it has been relegated to low-milage second car status for the last half of that.

My Dad had a 93 XM Estate 2.0i back in 93, it was an awesome car with loads of cool little features but I think it had a few electrical problems, the interior was very poorly put together and the boot became a diving pool after rain, though I guess that's no problem in Australia...
    My Grandfather had 2 XM's, one Saloon and then a 1997 Estate which he still says is the best car that he's ever owned.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Please don't generalise.....
    I'm not trying to be offensive - i'm just stating my opinion.

I just wouldn't think about many second hand french cars.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I would say yes - I always did like the XM, and don't see any major disadvantages of this car, except the possible difficulties with hydraulics.

Thread Information