Thread: Official: Alonso moves to Ferrari for 2010

Official: Alonso moves to Ferrari for 2010

The ever stronger speculations of the last months have now been confirmed; two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso will race for Ferrari from 2010. There he will replace the 2007 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen, who will leave Ferrari a year before his contract ended, with mutual consent. The Finn is looks set to replace his compatriot Heiki Kovailanen at McLaren next year.

The full Ferrari press release:

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro announces that it has reached an agreement with the driver Fernando Alonso. The agreement covers three racing seasons, starting in 2010.

The Scuderia’s driver line-up next season will therefore be made up of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso, with Giancarlo Fisichella in the role of reserve driver.

Kimi Raikkonen will leave the team at the end of this current season, after what has been a rewarding and fruitful partnership, which saw him win the Drivers’ title in 2007. He also played a key role in Ferrari’s taking of the Constructor’s title that same year and in 2008.

“We are very proud to welcome to our team another winning driver, who has demonstrated his amazing talent by winning two World Championships in his career to date,” said Stefano Domenicali. “Of course, we wish to thank Kimi for everything

he has done during his time with Ferrari: in his first year with us, he managed to win the Drivers’ title, thus making his contribution to Ferrari’s history and he played a vital role in our taking of the Constructors’ title in 2007 and 2008. Even during a difficult season like this one, he has demonstrated his great talent, with several good results, including a great win in Spa and we are sure that we can share more good times together in the final three races of this season.”

“With common consent, we have agreed to terminate the contract binding me to Ferrari to the end of 2010, one year ahead of schedule,” said Kimi Raikkonen. “I am very sad to be leaving a team with which I have spent three fantastic years, during

which time I won plenty of races. Together, we have won 50% of the world titles in that period and I managed to take the Drivers’ title in 2007, thus achieving the target I had set myself at the start of my career. I have always felt at home with everyone here and I will have many happy memories of my time with the team.”
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This also puts a dent in Raikkonen's rallying career with Fiat. Or maybe he'll leave F1 altogether and embark on a life of fun.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Congratulations to both, I guess.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

hopefully the ferrari and mclaren are quick next year. massa/alonso and hamilton/raikkonen will produce some good battles
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

Dammit! Sorry, but that's what I think...

I always saw their relationship as a somewhat overly comfortable one and somewhat overshadowed one. He has rarely been in the limelight at ferrari. It almost seems as if being in a red car and having a title under his belt gives him little else to prove. Even when kimi took the drivers crown in 07 he did so relatively quietly, and ever since has been steadily fast, but never appeared to be pushed beyond his call of duty the way we remember he was in the early days back at sauber and mclaren.

I think kimi would be more suited to a role at mclaren alongside lewis, as will alonso suit the role of the prancing horse. I was looking forward to seeing them on the same team again. But i cant think of a more fitting role at mclaren. Especially giving their recent return to form. Perhaps kimi will be in for a better move than alonso at first? Driving for ferrari is one thing spiritually but as many people find out it doesnt instantly make you the fastest man on the circuit. Just ask fisichella or even kimi himself.

It'll be interesting to see how next year plans out as massa returns. With such a comfortable and founded driver lineup for both teams it would be easy to say we'll have a mclaren-ferrari season ahead of us if both teams ensure they prepare well enough for the 2010 season this time around. But I will always stick to my word that Vettel is the one to watch in years to come. Regardless of who he is driving for, i think the top teams will be quick to pick him up once his red bull contract comes to an end. In a consistently fast and reliable car his talent is on par with the champions.

I'm disappointed. Alonso and Massa? That'll work out fine, I'm sure. After 20 years of rooting for Ferrari I'm done.
    Wherever Vettel, Kubica, Rosberg and the next young guys (Hulkenburg) go, I'll be cheering for them.
    Kimi's championship was less than satisfying; a true sportsman would have declined the trophy considering how it was had.

It will be interesting to see how the sport will be managed by a new FIA president. Sure couldn't hurt if Bernie somehow departed, too.

But I'm not holding my breath.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

i consider vettel and rosberg to be a match made in heaven. given the right team.

I hope Kimi lands somewhere good, back at McLaren would be nice or even pairing up w/ Button at Brawn.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Kimi's championship was less than satisfying; a true sportsman would have declined the trophy considering how it was had.
    Now that's the first I've heard that idea, but I see your point. Are you saying he should have handed it to Lewis or just reject it completely.

On the topic, Fernando belongs at Ferrari and I would be happy to see Kimi at McLaren again. A few online articles have dubbed a Lewis/Kimi duo the as the "Dream Team." It's would be Michael and Larry all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Why would he do that? Because Lewis and he shot himself in the foot? Or because McLaren can't manage their own drivers and team personnel from stealing other team's secret? A true sportsman team would have said sorry and moved on, and thats what McLaren did.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Now that's the first I've heard that idea, but I see your point. Are you saying he should have handed it to Lewis or just reject it completely.

On the topic, Fernando belongs at Ferrari and I would be happy to see Kimi at McLaren again. A few online articles have dubbed a Lewis/Kimi duo the as the "Dream Team." It's would be Michael and Larry all over again.
    Alonso/Hamilton was a dream team too, and we all know how that ended...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Alonso/Hamilton was a dream team too, and we all know how that ended...
    their personalities didnt mesh though. Alonso was given the nominal lead driver title, but when outshone by Hammy, he couldn't adjust to 2nd driver. with ferraris recent stance on not having a lead driver at the start of the season, and letting the drivers determine their own running order, it could be good for both Alonso and Massa. Good competition, and similar personalities.

As far as my opinion on the whole deal, I used to really dislike Alonso. I mean he was my least favorite driver. But with him back in a losing car, he seems to have been humbled somewhat, and I have begun to like him. I still couldn't support him because he was in a renault, but now i can pull for him and not feel guilty (I am a ferrari fan, deal with it). Regardless, I like him better than I have ever liked Kimi, so I am glad the he is climbing out of the red cars.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information