Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of the clutch pedal

The death of the clutch pedal

Since we all know that the clutch pedal will eventually disappear (in the next ten minutes, probably), would that affect your choice of high performance car?

I mean, I don't like the BMW M3 very much but I'd consider one because of its alternatives it's the only one that can be had with a manual. Likewise the Porsche Panamera.

But if the clutch pedal goes away, what would be the point of having an, otherwise, awful car? I mean when the Flappy Paddle Brigade finally takes over Gearboxland completely, I'd be interested in very few high performance cars.

Normally Aspirated AMG Mercs, Maseratis, Jaguar and proper Bentleys. And since normally aspirated AMGs and proper Bentleys are a dying bread, only Jags and Masers.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

No, I'll still be interested in performance cars. I like my manual car, unless I'm in stop and go traffic, so I wouldn't mind having a manual without the clutch pedal or at least some kind of gearbox that gave me an automatic option for when I am in traffic. I could do without all the electric gizmos that are going along with the flappy paddle gearboxes though.

I mean really, do I need 8 shifting options? Just give me a clutchless manual with an auto option. I don't need "Sport, Sport Plus, Comfort, Sport Comfort, Snow Comfort, Weather Plus Sport, Sport Plus Plus, Uphill Sport" etc, etc.

I too am saddened by the demise of the proper manual gearbox. Specaily in cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini. It would have been nice to at least have the option for the proper manual on the 348 and Aventador. But the acceptance of the market is forcing the proper manual to go the way of the dinasour.

Since the secuential gear box has become popular in both race and street cars, the real tragedy is going the loss of driving skills such as heel and toe and double clutching.

But the death of the proper manual, doesnīt mean at all the death of the performance car by any means. If anything, ĻthanksĻ to the secuencial box, cars are even quicker now.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

the pedal will be buried next to the non-synchronised gearbox. And we did it survive the death of the latter too.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think the subject of the thread has not been understood.

I take as a given that clucht pedal is dead (eventually), especially in high performance cars.

My question is, will that make you change your preferences when it comes to cars?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think the subject of the thread has not been understood.

I take as a given that clucht pedal is dead (eventually), especially in high performance cars.

My question is, will that make you change your preferences when it comes to cars?

so if there is no longer an option to buy a high performance car with a manual, the subjective selection criteria (ceteris paribus) will remain as they as are. Perhaps some of the very old users may be able to tell us, whether they specifically opted for a non-synchronised gearbox when those where a dying breed?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

No, Pieter. I mean if I have the option of a manual I'll get one(or consider having it over other options), even if I don't like the whole of the car that has it (M3, Panamera).

But manual gone, I have no point for going for those mentioned cars, therefore changing my preferences/choices.

My question is, does anyone feel the same, or manual gearboxes are irrelevant for decisions on cars?
    Visca Catalunya!

No, Pieter. I mean if I have the option of a manual I'll get one(or consider having it over other options), even if I don't like the whole of the car that has it (M3, Panamera).

But manual gone, I have no point for going for those mentioned cars, therefore changing my preferences/choices.

My question is, does anyone feel the same, or manual gearboxes are irrelevant for decisions on cars?
    I really donīt understand your position Ferrer. If you donīt like the M3 for example (also donīt understand why you donīt), why even consider it just because it has a proper manual gearbox? Are secuencial boxes that unatractive to you that you would buy a car you donīt like just because is has a manual? Would the manual gear box make it bearable as opposed to a car you like with a secuencial box?

To answer your question, in the end the type of gearbox will have to be irrelevant, since we will have to accept the demise of the proper manual
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 04-17-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Honestly, modern gearboxes and in general electronic controls are exemplars of automotive engineering improvement.
    Antipathy towards change is understandable but ultimately backward... who wants un-boosted brakes back? How about drums?

I have always made choices based on the car itself, so the gearbox has been relevant only in that sense. In other words, a luxury car doesn't need (nor should have except in rare examples) a manual gearbox, a sportscar does. In the case of my current drivers, an old VW bus wouldn't be the same with a slushbox even if they were offered that way, and similarly the CSL naturally is right, but so too is our 3.0 CSA... they serve different purposes. And the best of both worlds: Sportomatics don't have a clutch pedal, but still must be shifted in a traditional pattern... that's better than floppy paddles IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 04-17-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: EDIT: CLUTCH PEDAL!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

It would definitely affect my choice. In my (ongoing and futile) search for a car, there are only a few which I can think of that I would accept with a non-manual gearbox; first gen. ('60s) Rivieras, '90s GM B-bodies, and DSs (this is why my search is futile ). Obviously there are a few I'm forgetting, but I still think it would be a very short list.

In my later high school years I spent a few hours everyday slogging through LA traffic and rowing my own cogs. I did not mind doing that much, so I figure there is no use sacrificing fun on a good road for a basically negligible amount of bother.
    The only cars that need slushboxes are double Rs, old Cadillacs, and other yachts of their ilk.

When I have the means to buy a new car, assuming my views haven't changed, I will seek out a stickshift in whichever crevice they're hiding in; ass-engined Porsches or smaller cars. However at that point, I would probably just buy used.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 04-17-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: I grammer is badly

The availability of a manual definately affects my theorical future purchases. I used my stiff-clutched Volvo in traffic all the time, it didn't bother me at all.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the pedal will be buried next to the non-synchronised gearbox. And we did it survive the death of the latter too.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    so if there is no longer an option to buy a high performance car with a manual, the subjective selection criteria (ceteris paribus) will remain as they as are. Perhaps some of the very old users may be able to tell us, whether they specifically opted for a non-synchronised gearbox when those where a dying breed?
    Ferrer, I think you don't understand the point Henk is making: People who know how to double-clutch see very little difference between a syncho 'box and a paddle shift.

So my point is your question is ridiculous: Sports car drivers didn't didn't switch to luxury sedans when they went from crash 'boxes to synchro 'boxes, why should this transition be any different?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I'm sure for the mass market it won't make a difference, obviously if it would mean a vast drop in sports car sales they wouldn't do it. For that niche of us that prefers three pedals and an H-pattern though, we could potentially be swayed. Unfortunately our niche is too small and unvocal (yet) and not actually in the market for one of these (lets be honest here) to be cost effective to service. So we are left to wailing and gnashing of teeth on internet message boards.

Even cars like the M3 which have a DCT tranny and a Manual, the DCT seems to outsell the Manual which shows the overall trend. However i think there's always going to be a stick transmission around.

I see what you're saying but I can't think of any cars to compare that in the same category come stick and non stick.

BMW has always done a great job offering a row your own throughout their entire lineup.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    BMW has always done a great job offering a row your own throughout their entire lineup.
    Not entirely - remember the E60 M5 was only availble with paddle shift outside of the US. The new one's not likely to change that, except for maybe removing that manual option there.

Thread Information