Thread: Maintenance Intervals

Maintenance Intervals

Here's a question that could spark a lot of interesting debate.

Basically, I know there are a number of things that should be inspected/replaced periodically such as oil every 3, 5, 8, 10, etc. thousand miles (depending on, among other things, oil and car type), rotate tires usually 5000 miles and so on.....

What I want to know is what all else should be considered? I know the owner's manual lists service intervals for various components, but some of that is undoubtedly a dealership money making scheme. So, what things maybe aren't listed in the manual but deserve consideration? and what should maybe be done more or less often that the manual recommends?

I recently crested 80,000 miles and I know there are things that should probably have been replaced a long time ago. I drive a 2002 B5.5 Passat with the 1.8T in case there are any special considerations that need to be made for that model.

Thanks for your responses.

If the maintenance scheme in the manual is a money making thing, they're going to want to list everything they can bill you for. Other things are more of a wear and tear thing, consider pipes/valves that might be leaking boost pressure or things like air flow sensors that might be misreading. If you're going to be diving under the bonnet now might be a good time to explore some simple after market mods too.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Well my 2010 Land Rover Defender had service intervals of 12 000 miles or 20 000 kilometres, of course the concept of service intervals was pretty much invalid when it had to go back to the dealer on the back of a tow truck every 3000 kilometres though.

Basically the service manual will tell you what to check. Oil , filters, hoses an belts will come up as replaceable. Oils have improved so that you have 10,000 intervals where you may have only had 5000 previously. Myself I change oil and filters every 5000 and cheek everything g else when do.
    My mate just bought a 200 series turbo V8 diesel and there are no major services as such. He was quiet surprised. No timing belts etc. Just basic services. Impressive.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I have just got my car back after a 30,000 km service, the regular interval. No oil changes/additions were required. What was needed though was new front and rear discs and pads after 100k. (plus a leak airco compressor and a leaking radiator....)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Ok, I'll go over the manual in more detail and see what I've likely been missing.

However, there are things I know aren't covered. For instance, I've heard brake fluid should be changed every two years since it builds up moisture over time, but I don't think most people ever change it. How critical is this? Also, I'm pretty sure I have the original battery still, so it's nine years old. Should batteries be run until they die or should it be replaced to avoid possibly getting stranded?

here are some things that might need replaced

Can You Afford to Own A Ferrari? | Vulcan Motor Club

Hi runner06,

Yes agree, even a lot of garages ignore the brake fluid change at service time.
    The water that it absorbs over time usually finds it's way down to the cylinders on the brakes. It can then quite easily boil and then turn to steam when the brakes are used, which is one of the main causes of brake fade.
    Over time it also causes internal corrosion, as it will react with the small bubbles of air in the system and also cause failure of the slave or caliper piston seals. The first sign of trouble is usually when brake fluid is seen seeping down the inside of the tyre after the car has been parked overnight.

Some would consider it pretty critical to change yearly or bi-annually!

As far as batteries are concerned, the cooler the climate (within reason) the longer they last. I had one that was still good after seven years when I lived in Scotland and sold the car on.
    Though now I'm lucky to get three years out of a good quality car battery in the desert climate where I work. One battery didn't even last much over 2 years and caused the car PCM (computer) to have a brain fart whilst driving. Once a new one was fitted it all returned to normal. I now change them every two years regardless, for peace of mind.
    Usually changing the battery when it shows signs of old age is a good practice, especially if the car has computer engine/transmission management. It's simple enough to get a battery tested; a good one should show and be able to hold 12.3-12.6volts IIRC.
    Last edited by Sid447; 05-19-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I have just got my car back after a 30,000 km service, the regular interval. No oil changes/additions were required. What was needed though was new front and rear discs and pads after 100k. (plus a leak airco compressor and a leaking radiator....)
    "No oil changes/additions were required." as in required by the service book or as in not judged to be required. Wouldnt you just replace these things anyway?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    "No oil changes/additions were required." as in required by the service book or as in not judged to be required. Wouldnt you just replace these things anyway?
    I should have said: No intermediate oil changes/additions were requiired, I just had to put in a refreshment 5.5 liter...for another 30 k.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information