Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking to buy a new MTB bike

I'm looking to buy a new MTB bike

I'm look to buy a new bike, i would like a hard tail bike with good forks at least 120mm travel. I have a budget of around £600-£750 I don't know if any of you know anything about bike but if you do which bike should i go for.

Any suggestions.

I really like this one.

4f16539075a8f80aa690af494ad80254_z_1283410612113069.jpg
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

What riding are you doing, or planning to do on it?

Myself and a couple of others here have some bike knowledge
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Don't know why anyone would want a hard tail for trail riding. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Don't know why anyone would want a hard tail for trail riding. *shrugs*
    perhaps because most of the time you do it standing up?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Trek 6500 comes with hydraulic disc brakes, Rock shock front suspension, shimano pedals, and bunch of other good stuff. Give it a look as it's a hard tail.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

^^^ Thanks, i'll take a look.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Trek 6500 comes with hydraulic disc brakes, Rock shock front suspension, shimano pedals, and bunch of other good stuff. Give it a look as it's a hard tail.
    Too expensive.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I have a Cannondale Sl2 - It's a really good bike, the SL3 is a bit cheaper, but same frame so a good purchase for future upgrades!

But most important is to look for a good frame, and then take the Equipment after (but go for Shimano Deore and above)
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    Too expensive.
    Shouldn't be 750 pounds is what American? I have seen them for sale as last years model for $950 or less American.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

You can get some good deals buying used or a dealer's old-stock. I bought my bike for 25% off MSRP that way.

Since I ride Specialized, I'm going to throw out a nomination for the Specialized Rockhopper/Stumpjumper.

If you're only going to go on the road, you may just want to get a road/hybrid or slick tires with good flat protection.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    You can get some good deals buying used or a dealer's old-stock. I bought my bike for 25% off MSRP that way.

Since I ride Specialized, I'm going to throw out a nomination for the Specialized Rockhopper/Stumpjumper.

If you're only going to go on the road, you may just want to get a road/hybrid or slick tires with good flat protection.
    Agreed. Just like cars, high-end bikes depreciate fast and a £700/$1200 budget will purchase a bike costing twice that when new.
    For hardtails Klein is probably the strongest/stiffest, Cannondale a close second. I have an Adept that I set up for road use.
    Fast & comfortable if odd looking. These frames can be had now for a fraction what they cost just a few years ago.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

What sort of riding are you doing, or planning to do?

^^^ About 20% of my riding will be on the road, the rest ruff ground, mostly down hill. I like jumps as well. I'm look to go on trails more often this year.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

With that being the case work out what has the best fork in your price range.

There are some huge fork quality differences amongst bike brands at this sort of price, depending on what the product manager's thoughts are as to what features sell a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    With that being the case work out what has the best fork in your price range.
    Yes, Thats what i'm trying to do, the Sunn Tzar S2 i found has 140mm rock shock forks, thats the best i've found in my price range.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information