Thread: Mazda 6 MPS test drive

Mazda 6 MPS test drive

Stopped in at a dealer on the way home from work today and took the MPS for a spin. I’m not a petrolhead, but here’s my layman’s first impressions.

Despite the fact that it’s much the same as my 6 inside, it took quite awhile to get used to it, maybe because it’s my 1st time in a turbo, seemed a bit ‘laggy’ to me. Maybe I should register for ‘turbo driver 101’ classes. “Smooth” does not really describe my driving, even dropped it in the hole on an attempted fast pull off from a robot. My shifting was also a bit rough under hard acceleration, not great clutch work, but got better with concentration.

Nevertheless, it was pretty quick when I got it going. Best thing about the ride was the low-down torque (380nm @3000rpm), effortlessly cruising up steep hills and conveying a sense of latent power to the driver, without insisting you tap into it and jump on the throttle. Flows beautifully in traffic, I tend to have to rev my 6 too high at times to keep the pace, sort of like I was attached to the car in front with an elastic band which stretches before yanking me forward. Should make for more relaxed motoring. Totally solves the only problem that makes my 6 less than perfect for me and that’s overtaking. Apply right foot and woosh, no more problem.

Handling is notably better than my 6, which is no slouch. The whole package is stiffened up making for a slightly harder ride and I was impressed with the way it talked to me through a couple of fast bends. The 4-wheel drive makes for very stable cornering and a sense of “I could have taken that corner much faster”. All the driver-assists make it hard to get the MPS to step out of line, feels pretty much idiot-proof.

I like it a lot, and having flirted with it a bit clumsily on our 1st date, I’m keen to pursue a relationship and see if I can get her into my bed, with a view to marriage.

Time now for some serious number crunching.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Nice review. If you liked the Mazdaspeed 6, you should also try the Subaru Legacy/Liberty.

I reckon they're really onto something with the new MPS cars.

So they've done a 6 MPS, and a 3 MPS.......when are they gonna do an RX8 MPS???
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Burns
    So they've done a 6 MPS, and a 3 MPS.......when are they gonna do an RX8 MPS???
    Hopefully it'll be called an RX7
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Seriously, the RX-8 is a great performing car but it's still really heavy. A little extra power would help it. There was a Mazdaspeed version. Whether they produced it or not is another matter, but it's in the hideout.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...azdaspeed+RX-8

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...azdaspeed+RX-8

The first two pictures are of the concept for both links. The second links show a 2003 version. I'm guessing they did make it.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 11-24-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Seriously, the RX-8 is a great performing car but it's still really heavy. A little extra power would help it.
    Err, no it isn't. It only weighs 1350kg, which isn't heavy at all. That's less than an EVO or STi. It just doesn't have a whole lot of torque.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

RX-8 looks great but it need torque! and that weird rear door isn't attractive
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Great review Doug. If you want it and can afford it, I'd say buy the 6 MPS. One positive of the 6 MPS is that it won't draw the attention of the police or wannabe drag racers like a WRX or a EVO would.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Err, no it isn't. It only weighs 1350kg, which isn't heavy at all. That's less than an EVO or STi. It just doesn't have a whole lot of torque.
    Yeah, I meant that.

Thread Information