Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merc Benz 190 E Petrol or Diesel?

All I know is, diesels are SLLLLOOOOWWWW

Maybe you need to actually drive one then, as your knowledge is far from complete
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BenB2007 View Post
    ok thanks guys. Any one else? i'm in the UK, and basically anything over about a 2 or 2.3 litre petrol is just out of the question due to the cost of fuel here. close to 1 pound a litre (thats about $2 a litre or $7.50 a US gallon). thats the reason for the question with the diesel if its more economical...

Basically i want the cheap luxury with a well built car that does at least 35 (british)MPG. my girl friend drives a small 1.9 diesel 1999 peugot 206 that averages 50 MPG, or 57-60MPG when on the motorway.
    Petrol sucks here, doesn't it?

I'd personally leave a heavy execubarge behind if you want an economical cruiser. Try the 306 DTurbo- around 500 miles to the tank, pretty pokey (with a screwdriver you can tread on a 306 XSi's toes), and it rides beautifully.

Have you looked at maybe a 406 HDi? There are plenty around that are ex-fleet cars, but the best buys are private models. It drives very well indeed, goes well (if you get the 110bhp intercooled model and chip it), and it rides very well- limo-like.

Now that diesel is generally cheaper than petrol here, it's worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Oh really?

Buy the 190. It's a great, well-built car. The doors make a satisfying "thunk" absent from many newer cars.

But the parts are a bit expensive, which is why my parents let it rot to the ground until some Latino guy bought it for 800 bucks, rebuilt the engine, and took it down to South America.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

It's too old, and if you want cars that kinda size, which is also built like tanks and would last you a long time (with proper maintenance that is) why not get the Audi A4 B5? It looked better as well.

As for the 190E, I'd rather go W124
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Long live USA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Have you looked at maybe a 406 HDi?
    A with the price of one of hose you can buy 5 190D.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

then you know very LITTTTLLLLLEEEE
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

My Grandfather owns a 1993 190D 2.5Diesel Auto of which I have driven, as has my Father, my Dad always seems to have his foot planted in the floor and the car never seems to do much, just make a lot of noise. We call it 'The Slug'. When I drove it I noticed that the 4-speed Auto box was a bit jerky, annoyingly so, and the pedals were probably as far to the right as they could possible be which felt a bit wierd and with my size 12 feet I stuggled to get my feet to the pedals. Other than that, the ride is fairly smooth and the turning cirlce is amazing! If I had the choice I'd prefer the petrol. I'd personally try and find a nice, used Mazda 6 2.0D, 600+miles to a tank, well built and reliable too.
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 09-15-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Again forgetting that the 190E have tank-like reliability and dirt cheap price.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    I'd personally try and find a nice, used Mazda 6 2.0D, 600+miles to a tank, well built and reliable too.
    The price of a Mazda 6 2.0 must equal the sum of 7 Mercedes 190D.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I used to drive an 190E 2.3 until 2004 (too many problems so had to dump it).
    It's a solid car though (and fun, but the only other cars I've driven are all FWD >_< )... and from what I've heard, the 2.6 doesn't drink that much more gas compared to the 2.3..
    If I had the money and time, I'd definitely get one again and bring it up to good shape... O and I really like its classic boxy look.

Thread Information