Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battle of mid German cars

None of them, they're all pointless unless you use them on a track. Which is something I don't do. I'd take a 330d or heck even a 320d Coupé over any of them. Fast enough and fuel efficient (and MUCH cheaper fuel over here*).

*filled my car the other day, 55 euros for 37 litres

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    M3 seems so . . . conventional
    Conventional seems to work pretty damn well then

AMG for me. The new C is just so sexy. I was never a great fan of Bangle and the new Audi is too plain for me.

I'm sure Audi and BMW would be just as fun, if not more fun to drive, but for daily driving I still prefer the classy AMG.. and in the occasional times that I wanna go fast, it'd still do the job although it may not beat everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    None of them, they're all pointless unless you use them on a track. Which is something I don't do. I'd take a 330d or heck even a 320d Coupé over any of them. Fast enough and fuel efficient (and MUCH cheaper fuel over here*).

True, it's gotten more expensive for us too, just not as expensive as you guys over there.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Hard to argue, but that doesn't mean Ferrari doesn't build some best engines and best handling cars in the world. Image may sell the cars, but sixty years of world-class engineering have made them what they are today.
    True. But they're extreme status in the supercar world is indeed catapulted by their excellent marketing, branding efforts.

I'd can buy a Ferrari over a Porsche merely because it sounded nicer, and i presume i look cooler with my lips flattening to pronounce the word "Fer-ra-ri" as oppose to curling up and then folding up my lips showing my teeths with a half opened mouth for the word "Por-scha"
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

an m3 with a manual trasmission would probably be the best option.
    i would also consider the clk 63. however, out of my own experience those amg engines are the best option.

Wait, let me get this straight: you live across the border from Germany and you think these cars are pointless? If I had any one of these cars and the Autobahn that close, guess where I'd be every weekend?

But seriously, I think these are the most purposeful sports cars you can buy, they have excellent everyday useability and are fantastic fun on highways and backroads.

Wait, let me get this straight: you live across the border from Germany and you think these cars are pointless? If I had any one of these cars and the Autobahn that close, guess where I'd be every weekend?

But seriously, I think these are the most purposeful sports cars you can buy, they have excellent everyday useability and are fantastic fun on highways and backroads.
    I doubt you would be with today's fuel prices. Also it is a lot more fun to drive through the Belgian Ardennes with a nice sports car than to floor it down a boring motorway.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Okay, I just did the conversion and you're paying about 8$ a gallon! Holy crap! I might have to take back what I said. . . . but still AUTOBAHN!

Was that for diesel or petrol?

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I doubt you would be with today's fuel prices. Also it is a lot more fun to drive through the Belgian Ardennes with a nice sports car than to floor it down a boring motorway.
    Why not do both?

Why not do both?
    Because highway driving is very boring and expensive.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Because highway driving is very boring and expensive.
    Somebody needs some quality time in an M5.

Somebody needs some quality time in an M5.
    no such thing....time in an M5 is time wasted
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Just wait until the Mercedes SL 75, 85 and 95.

I stole that from Richard Porter, in truth, but all joking aside, I spoke to a rather bright "self employed" fellow with a tastefully customized new BMW 335 and his technicolor-haired teenage son today at the local book/video/music store.

He said he could have bought a new M3, but just didn't see the point in it. His car has 300 horsepower and 300 torques (that Clarkson wankfest used 'torques,' and, dammit, it's just easier to write/say).

Having conspicuously nosed my '04 U.S.-spec Subaru STi up to his Beemer, these are numbers I'm all-too familiar with. For a fast streetcar, dare I say it, 300/300's plenty for drivers without (or at least not claiming to have) heroic skills.

He'd taken the hillbilly concept of "when it doubt, wallow it out" to his Bee-Em, boring out the crazy restrictor nozzle that softens throttle response in new do-your-own-shifting BMWs in the name of saving the clutch and painted the grill surrounds, wheels and "335i" badge in a rather sinister matte black.

It's faster than the previous-generation M3 (though he said build quality was down) and significantly cheaper than the new M3. For supercars, there's no limit to performance, as demonstrated by cars like the Koenigsegg CCR (Hope you, have got your things to-geth-ah — Hope you, are quite prepared to die...) and FXX, but shouldn't it be up to the aftermarket tuners to fettle an M3, long the attainable big-bore sports coupe, to what was supercar pace a few short years ago?

Or maybe this Quail is just old-fashioned and behind the times. I can understand that the sportscar game has moved on, but if things continue at this pace, we'll see an 800-hp M3 in 2020. Would that be right?
    I'm erudite ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    no such thing....time in an M5 is time wasted
    If you say so . . .

Thread Information