Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FIA bans F1 Engine Development for 10 Years

"new teams" into F1 a good idea.
    Doing it by letting them use off the shelf parts and low costs will be a disaster.

F1 peaked when teams were able to innovate.
    New teams formed aroudn ideas and characters.

All this is going to do is kill F1 within 5 years. NO way an engine stays "steady" for 10 years !

If they REALLY wanted to get back to the days of greatness then they need to restrict budget and remove all other constraints
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    If they REALLY wanted to get back to the days of greatness then they need to restrict budget and remove all other constraints
    That is a fascinating proposal. We'd see all sorts of magic shit in that case, the best innovator would truly win the race. I think there would still need to be certain limitations for safety however.

The problem that I can see with your scenario would be likely that one team would come up with something so ingenious that they would utterly dominate the other teams and it'd be no good to watch at all. See: Tyrell(?) fan car.

Anyways, it would be completely sick if they did what you suggest - jsut imagine the aerodynamic innovations, not to mention what sort of exotic shit we'd see with engines!

Things were much more free back in F1's earlier days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Except that they haven't allowed customer teams like Prodrive.
    Anyway, customer egines are allowed, and if they will be of the same 'level' for private and factory teams, we would see some intrigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Maybe. But will the F1 develop in any way then? Too much work was done since 'the days of greatness' to deal with minor funds now. (Or was it a joke? )
    Last edited by faksta; 12-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think there would still need to be certain limitations for safety however.
    Yeah there woudl still have to be safety regs as always. Maximum widths too and fuel limits/controls.
    they would utterly dominate the other teams and it'd be no good to watch at all. See: Tyrell(?) fan car.
    It was Brabham. It was banned as the cornering speeds were excessive .. as ultimately were all ground effect cars.
    The perfect example of an innovation which they then write OUT of the regs. No reason why we can't return to that.
    Things were much more free back in F1's earlier days.
    It was more of a sport and less of a business under Bernie's control
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Could lead to some astronomical improvements in other areas, however im with Cotterik on the engine problem argument...

2 or 3 years I can understand.. but 10 years? think of an engine 10 years ago compared to an engine today.. overkill if you ask me... Probably gonna change it after a few years anyway

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827 View Post
    2 or 3 years I can understand.. but 10 years? think of an engine 10 years ago compared to an engine today.. overkill if you ask me... Probably gonna change it after a few years anyway
    agree

freezing engine development for 10 years, is among the worst ideas i ve heard from the FIA. very soon a1 will overtake f1 in terms of engine output, plus if the teams wont be spending on engine development, then rest assured that they will be spending on something else. All the proposed ideas of cost cutting bt the FIA have done the opposite so far, and proved that they are not that good . Just look how many names pulled out of F1 in the past few years.

more and above all those ideas that the FIA are coming up with, are totally against the literal term "Formula 1", more like formula 6 or something, what happened to the saying "pinnacle of motorsports" . Clearly Max Mosley is dragging the rules down along with the sport, IMO its time for him to go and maybe govern something else like tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by torque55 View Post
    agree

freezing engine development for 10 years, is among the worst ideas i ve heard from the FIA. very soon a1 will overtake f1 in terms of engine output, plus if the teams wont be spending on engine development, then rest assured that they will be spending on something else. All the proposed ideas of cost cutting bt the FIA have done the opposite so far, and proved that they are not that good . Just look how many names pulled out of F1 in the past few years.
    (
    yeah, they may want to freeze driver salaries also for the next 10 years...would probably far more effective.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by torque55 View Post
    more and above all those ideas that the FIA are coming up with, are totally against the literal term "Formula 1", more like formula 6 or something, what happened to the saying "pinnacle of motorsports" . Clearly Max Mosley is dragging the rules down along with the sport, IMO its time for him to go and maybe govern something else like tennis.
    Well he stepped down several years ago, but nobody wanted to replace him or have him replaced. Secondly, F1 is more popular than ever before and the cars are faster than ever. Thirdly, the FIA does not make the rules.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Well he stepped down several years ago, but nobody wanted to replace him or have him replaced. Secondly, F1 is more popular than ever before and the cars are faster than ever. Thirdly, the FIA does not make the rules.
    Who does make the rules? I thought the FIA did...

I do.

Engine restrictions stay.
    The Datto will rage again...

Restricting engine development makes sense now because all the manufacturers are at a very similar level with the engines. When the KERS come in for 2009, the teams will have access to more power, so the ~750hp they have now will simply be a baseline and they'll have maybe 50-100hp extra available through the recovery systems. They cant simply leave these things unrestricted forever. The point where human reaction and endurance becomes the limiting factor in F1 performance is fast approaching. But maybe some people DO want to see drivers passing out around 250km/h corners because the cars are over 1000hp with 30000N downforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy
    Who does make the rules? I thought the FIA did...
    AFAIK, the FIA makes proposals to the teams, and they change/accept them depending on what they can agree on.
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 01-13-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    I am the Stig

The engine development ban has been decreased to 5 years after a meeting in Paris between the FIA and the team principals. A new enigne formula is expected in 2 years however, somewhat confusingly.

Agreed upon by most principals but not by Ferrari is an overall cap to spending on a yearly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    AFAIK, the FIA makes proposals to the teams, and they change/accept them depending on what they can agree on.
    The "propsals" are detailed regulations based on earlier discussions with the teams and manufacturers who put forward ideas to meet objectives - eg improve overtaking, reduce costs, reduce power etc etc

So it's unfair to brand the FIA when new regs are proposed as the ideas come from the engineers and the Motorsport Council.

But the press will always have to have a bogeyman

Just wondering if engine development has to stop for 10 years, what will happen with the "plans" to introduce hybrid propulsion?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information