Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standard Engine (Bernie's latest ploy to destroy F1)

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    If this happened, teams would still be stacked (Ferrari, McLaren-Merc, Renault, BMW). The team with the most extra wealth would buy out the best pilots and F1 would just be a faster GP2.

This is mad.
    Possibly Bernie wants a standard F1 car just like in A1 GP, and yes, to please FIA it could well be a Ferrari
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

They'd finally get to call it Formula Ferrari...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Possibly Bernie wants a standard F1 car just like in A1 GP, and yes, to please FIA it could well be a Ferrari
    Hell, they should just botch F1 and let it mix into A1 GP then.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    If this does go through, I'd put $100 on a Ferrari engine.

I think standard engines would be too big of a pill to swallow. Whilst others cant, i can still live with standard tyres (its something largely out of control of the teams anyway if it were to still be a tyre war) and ECU's (how else can they effectively keep a ban on driver aids?). The FIA and Bernie would have standard chassis, engines, gearbox and wings given the chance though.

The current engines have the problem where despite how long theyre made to last, theyre a bloody expensive engine to produce parts wise. The development of them is supposedly frozen now, or at least semi frozen, but the engines themselves are far from cheap - be that because theyre of the small displacement, high revs nature or some other reason. If the FIA and the teams could fix that problem they'd have a good deal of problems solved.
    I am the Stig

Just look at how much problem a currently standardized part seem to spawn(the fuel rig), I don't think FIA is in any position to a) advocate the use of the standardized equipment and b) decide what makes of equipment to use.

IMO, if they standardize engine and open up a lot of other aspects(ie, hybrid/KERS, chassis control, aero...etc) then it might bring up some different type of challenge, but thats obviously not their intent and this is turning F1 into IRL....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I think they're more tending to Formula Bernie

If you want to make F1 cheaper for teams why not just implement some sort of salary cap? Just figure out what the average team spends so that it's not too low or too high and then the big guys can't outspend the little ones anymore. Also you'd have to figure whether that includes the whole team, just the car, the car and drivers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    If you want to make F1 cheaper for teams why not just implement some sort of salary cap? Just figure out what the average team spends so that it's not too low or too high and then the big guys can't outspend the little ones anymore. Also you'd have to figure whether that includes the whole team, just the car, the car and drivers, etc.
    I think this is the best choice.

I would also like to see freer regulations to allow for more innovation in engine tech and the like - maybe this would make the racing more spread out and maybe that's bad but the technological innovation is lacking in my eyes these days,

wouldn´t that make formula 1 a sort of pit of mediocre, subpar players on a league that´d never attract the sponsorship money they now live off?
    after all, with everything else being the same, all that´s left is the names & faces.

I´m sure every pilot would run if hit there-where it really hurts.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

If this happens it will ruin the sport and the meaning with motorsports! When did FIA last come up with a good idea?? I really can't remember. It seems like they are tryin to ruin it.
    Mercedes-Benz fanatic

While it definitely doesn't happen often this takes away one of the story lines of the current season. It has been interesting to see the customer cars start taking licks at the more "superior" teams.

And Ferrari actually won't like at least one outcome of a standardized engine. If it's theirs they get more money which is good for them but it'd also make the driver more important and with Todt and Schumi gone they are back to a "team as the star" instead of drivers stance. And I'd be surprised if they didn't like the competition in engine engineering.

I'd be surprised if any engine manufact. favored this. For the most part it'd help the customer cars b/c it result in cheaper engines. Which would bring them up into play more but this season they already have. If it continues next season I say they don't need too much help.
    You can call me scott.

I'm with Kitdy.
    Budget caps , no exceptions for "safety development", the car should be designed safe withtin the budet cap. And more free regulations.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

If this happens, what will happen to the manufacturers? There goes some pocket change, Bernie...

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of all things motoring. Why restrict it at all? Sure, if it's in the interests of safety then yes, impose some rules.

But I for one say that the guys with the most powerful, loudest, best-handling, most efficient and yes, most expensive car and perceived best, highest paid drivers should win.

That's the spectacle of it. Not restricted engines, aero, tires and tech...

The problem here is that Bernie botched up F1's finances. To make up for it, he's trying to cut costs in all the places he really shouldn't be. As a result, the fanbase is dropping fast, meaning the finances are dropping as well. And that results in old Bernie pushing up the price tracks have to fork out for the "honor" of hosting a GP and axing the facilities that can't cough up.
    Which results in even more fans losing interest, drying up the money, resulting in Bernie pondering ridiculous ideas such as this.

Which results in me typing snotty forum posts like this one.

Spec engines in F1? Wow, and to think the IndyCar Series will have non-spec turbo'd engines for 2011...

Indy to go turbo by 2011 - Autoblog
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

slightly on topid, since I'm not into IRL and similars, IIRC their engines must costs as much as 100.000 $.
    if this is right, did it work out as a costs' reduction?
    For the few races I had the occasion to watch, the competition looked good and so the performance, but then I remember that Toyota was the only manufacturer for a year, right?

btw, Bernie is very smart as usual
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information