Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: McLaren F1 LM 1995-1996

McLaren F1 LM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

McLaren F1 LM #2
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Thatīs a brilliant article, to be able to hear from the carīs creator himself is always pretty special. In the case of the f1 even more so!1
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    - George Bernard Shaw

Finally a real image of one of the Black F1 LMs has surfaced!!

Unfortunately the car isn't complete in this shot, but the image does positively confirm the cars existence (it's been denied on multiple occasions) and that indeed they looked like the artist's rendering that we have had for quite some time.

I'm so happy to finally have this, but what's funny is that it came from a scan out of a June 1996 issue of AutoWeek Magazine of all places. I probably have that exact issue buried in a box in the garage from when a friend was tossing out his magazine collection and I saved them. I don't think I have looked at them in more than six years, but one of the few McLaren related items that I've been constantly searching for was effectively right under my nose all this time. I can't believe it.

Giving credit where it's due, this image was first posted here by ArchangelGTR:

Automotive Forums .com Car Chat - View Single Post - GTR Articles Thread

>8^)
    Erik

which chassis is that supposed to be and why the mystery shred around it?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    which chassis is that supposed to be and why the mystery shred around it?
    That should be chassis LM1 in the photo above.

Chassis LM4 was apparently either identical in its exterior treatment to this one, or one version of the story I have been told claimed that the second of the two Black LMs had a red stripe in place of the blue one seen on this car.

Post #70 in this thread contains just about everything that is known about the Black LMs. Feel free to read through that as I believe it should address most questions you would have, however, let me know if you have any additional ones.

Another great thing about that photo in my opinion is that it proves this was how the cars were originally finished, as some doubters in the past believed the Black LMs may exist, but felt that they could have been repainted for the Brunei Royal Family after they were built. Seeing one at the factory in build puts that theory to rest as well.

To expand a bit on the conflicting info:

The image below shows a segment of the Chassis History poster that was included with "Driving Ambition: The Official Inside Story of the McLaren F1" that McLaren released through Virgin Books in 1999. It clearly shows all 6 of the LM chassis' along with their original color information. In the very same book, in the section of the text on the F1 LM something very different was claimed and the very same information was included on the original McLaren Cars website:

"As a tribute to the memory of Bruce McLaren, all the F1 LM's were painted in the same Papaya Orange that was used on his contemporary Formula One and Can Am cars."

So that's really what created the conflict. I have often suggested that it was just more convenient for McLaren to say it that way then to try and explain they had one hard-to-please customer that felt like being different. It's almost as if the details would paint a less clear picture if you know what I mean.

Recently McLaren released a book called "McLaren: The Cars 1964-2008" and in that book on the pages devoted to the LM they do confirm the existence of the Black LMs. It wasn't always this way from them though and the debate about these particular F1s has really centered around the amount of conflicting information and the lack of real photos until now. It's been one of the key McLaren mysteries over the years so it is great to finally put any speculation to the contrary to rest.

>8^)
    ER

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
    That should be chassis LM1 in the photo above.

Chassis LM4 was apparently either identical in its exterior treatment to this one, or one version of the story I have been told claimed that the second of the two Black LMs had a red stripe in place of the blue one seen on this car.

Post #70 in this thread contains just about everything that is known about the Black LMs. Feel free to read through that as I believe it should address most questions you would have, however, let me know if you have any additional ones.

Another great thing about that photo in my opinion is that it proves this was how the cars were originally finished, as some doubters in the past believed the Black LMs may exist, but felt that they could have been repainted for the Brunei Royal Family after they were built. Seeing one at the factory in build puts that theory to rest as well.

To expand a bit on the conflicting info:

The image below shows a segment of the Chassis History poster that was included with "Driving Ambition: The Official Inside Story of the McLaren F1" that McLaren released through Virgin Books in 1999. It clearly shows all 6 of the LM chassis' along with their original color information. In the very same book, in the section of the text on the F1 LM something very different was claimed and the very same information was included on the original McLaren Cars website:

"As a tribute to the memory of Bruce McLaren, all the F1 LM's were painted in the same Papaya Orange that was used on his contemporary Formula One and Can Am cars."

So that's really what created the conflict. I have often suggested that it was just more convenient for McLaren to say it that way then to try and explain they had one hard-to-please customer that felt like being different. It's almost as if the details would paint a less clear picture if you know what I mean.

Recently McLaren released a book called "McLaren: The Cars 1964-2008" and in that book on the pages devoted to the LM they do confirm the existence of the Black LMs. It wasn't always this way from them though and the debate about these particular F1s has really centered around the amount of conflicting information and the lack of real photos until now. It's been one of the key McLaren mysteries over the years so it is great to finally put any speculation to the contrary to rest.

>8^)
    ER
    thanks for this, and the new book you mentioned has already arrived here...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

No problem Pieter.

My book hasn't arrived yet, but I have seen decent quality images of all the F1 related pages - enough to read all the text at least. I'm a bit disappointed in the format and style of photography that was used - I am not typically a fan of studio shots.

I also found at least one error in the text where they note the Monaco Launch Party for the McLaren F1 was in 1993, when in fact it occured in 1992. Minor error really, but you would think that was something that would not have been hard to get right. One wonders about the factual integrity of the rest of the book in a case like that.

Did you get a copy of the poster as well? Here's a large format sample if not.

>8^)
    ER

hey, dont i remember you from the SC hell hole ?
    I used to love reading all your insights on the Mc
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    hey, dont i remember you from the SC hell hole ?
    I used to love reading all your insights on the Mc
    the same info can be found here. Erik is a "one-car, know-all" guy

and Erik, no we did not receive a poster.....

The poster is sold separately - it's not even included with the Limited Edition version of the book.

You can get one here if you'd like:

https://www.mclarenshop.com/webapp/w...1_28652_VMM171

I guess the nice part is it's probably rolled up in a tube for delivery so it is suitable for framing when you get it, unlike the poster which comes with Driving Ambition that was folded to fit inside the book.

>8^)
    ER

Interesting that they removed all the cigarette sponsorship from the cars on the poster
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Great story Peloton, but I have a silly question, maybe someone before asked and answered...the side vent appears only on one side (right) of the car, all the pics I have show this, but my question is this one: I have a low quality picture of what appear to be an historic orange LM that shows a smaller side vents on the left side as the one you can see on the GTRs versions. is it possible?
    then I have some old pics collected over the years, maybe it isn't the right place to post them but...it's a GTR (emblem on the rear part) but it has a plate...? my guess is that it is a F1 road car converted to LM appearance, and painted for the Le Mans race.
    finally, a black F1, I'm pretty it isn't an LM, but I would like to ask. it's near to a GT btw.

thanks
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I believe that the first one is a GTR converted for road use, while the car in the fourth picture is a regular road car with the High Downforce kit.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I believe that the first one is a GTR converted for road use
    so basically an un-official LM...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information