Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz G-class Facelift

Mercedes-Benz G-class Facelift

Quote Originally Posted by WCF
    Mercedes-Benz has refined its G-Class yet again. The interior has been injected with fresh appeal courtesy of a new, high-grade instrument cluster, an attractively styled steering wheel which is also new, as well as a modified centre console with redesigned switches plus a new-look control unit for the air conditioning. Outside, the latest generation of the G-Class can be identified by the design of its tail light units with their sophisticated LED look. These facelift measures see Mercedes-Benz hold true to its philosophy of making sure that this classic vehicle - which has been in production for over quarter of a century now - is equipped with a comfortable, up-to-date interior on a par with the best saloons, along with state-of-the-art technology. By so doing, it preserves the exclusive status of the G-Class as a full-blooded cross-country vehicle blended with the very finest lifestyle qualities.

The first Mercedes-Benz G-Class unveiled in 1979 was designed predominantly with tough off-road terrain in mind. Over the many years of its production, Mercedes engineers have adapted the G-Class to changing customer requirements. It boasted outstanding off-road capabilities right from the outset, but its all-terrain prowess has been continuously improved on by the addition of the latest electronics. Its exceptional performance off the beaten track, excellent towing abilities and balanced handling characteristics combined with its saloon-like ambience have resulted in the G-Class enjoying an extraordinarily long production career, which now extends to 28 years.

With its most recent facelift, Mercedes-Benz has added further touches of class to its cross-country classic. This is particularly true inside the G-Class where a new instrument cluster gives the interior a sophisticated look. Four circular analogue dials with chrome-ring surrounds form the nerve centre for driver information. Also sporting a new design is the elegant four-spoke multifunction steering wheel, whose illuminated buttons drivers can simply press with their thumbs to call up various data or control certain functions without being distracted from the road. The G 320 CDI comes with a leather-trimmed steering wheel as standard, whilst the luxurious wood/leather version awaits G 500 and G 55 AMG drivers.

Common to all three G-Class models is the modified centre console with its new controls and switches for the air conditioning and convenience functions. Not only does the new centre console give the cockpit added visual appeal, it is designed to make operating the controls more foolproof. The standard specification for the G 500 and G 55 AMG models includes the COMAND APS control and display unit featuring DVD navigation system, built-in radio, CD player and telephone keypad. A compass function has also been integrated to allow drivers to easily get their bearings even when they have left the signposted routes far behind them. The compass can be set to show the current heading in either the new instrument cluster's display or on the COMAND screen.

The COMAND APS system can also be specified as an option for the G 320 CDI. This model is fitted as standard with the Audio 20 radio featuring CD player and telephone keypad instead of the previous Audio 10 unit. The entry-level model now also comes with heated front seats at no extra cost. The new 12V power socket in the front-passenger footwell of all models in the G-Class range allows for straightforward connection of auxiliary electrical appliances.

From outside, the newest generation of the Mercedes-Benz G-Class can be recognised from its tail lights, which have been remodelled by the designers to give them a fresh, new, LED-style look.

New attractive optional extras available
    To coincide with the facelift, Mercedes-Benz has added some new enticing items to its list of optional extras for the G-Class. These include the following highlights:

a reversing camera which shows drivers the scene behind the vehicle on the new COMAND unit's 6.5-inch screen;
    a tyre pressure monitoring system whose information appears in the instrument cluster display;
    a sports exhaust system for the long-wheelbase G 500 Station Wagon model which is basically identical to the exhaust system fitted in the G 55 AMG;
    the "ARTICO" interior package with robust man-made leather appointments, plus
    the new "Cognac" leather upholstery which extends the previous choice of leather appointments in either black or grey by adding a third, brown tone (no-cost option for G 500 model)
    In light of these facelift measures, the claim that the Mercedes-Benz G-Class is now more comfortable and innovative than ever has never rung so true. For not only does the G-Class excel by virtue of a luxurious interior ambience, its technology is absolutely state of the art too. The permanent all-wheel drive is complemented by the electronically controlled traction system 4ETS which boosts vehicle grip when pulling away and accelerating on slippery surfaces. What's more, the G Class comes equipped with three engageable differential locks as well as a low-range ratio for tackling tough terrain.

The current G-Class model line-up comprises three engines and three different body variants. The engine power spectrum ranges from the 165 kW/224 hp of the G 320 CDI to the 368 kW/500 hp developed by the G 55 AMG.

The new-look G-Class is available to order now, with deliveries starting in mid April.
    Source

I must admit I secretly love it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Oh no... I reallly hate the styling of the Mercedes-Benz G-class. Why do Daimler Chrysler need to build this monstrosity when they are manufacturing the M-class SUV's already? The M-class should be enough for SUV "hungry" people who want a three pointed star emblem/badge on their SUV. I would even say the G-class is nearly as bad as the Hummer. Obviously, it is not as bad.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

The difference is this can actually handle the off road

G Class > ML Class.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

doesnt look terribly different
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    Oh no... I reallly hate the styling of the Mercedes-Benz G-class. Why do Daimler Chrysler need to build this monstrosity when they are manufacturing the M-class SUV's already? The M-class should be enough for SUV "hungry" people who want a three pointed star emblem/badge on their SUV. I would even say the G-class is nearly as bad as the Hummer. Obviously, it is not as bad.
    This car targets a very different customer from the one that has the ML-class and even the GL-class in its sights. As IB4R has said this can actually go off-road, and not only can but it actually is a military off-roader adapted for civilian use. So in my opinion the Hummer is not comparable to it at all, unless you were implying the H1, which isn't that similar either...
    Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    doesnt look terribly different
    Well it's a facelift not a new model.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

This is a real off-roader and not the crap we are seeing the last years with all the city focused SUVs, although it has a bit too much luxurious interior IMO
    Life is too short to stay, race!

Gora Euskadi! Visca Catalunya!

This is the only Mercedes SUV worth buying imo.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17 View Post
    This is the only Mercedes SUV worth buying imo.
    if i was going off road in a mercedes i'd take a unimog. I know its not an suv though. my friend used to have one and drove it on the streets for a laugh, he even had the ordasity to park it in th uni car park (very cramped and a hit and run insurance nightmare)
    autozine.org

I quite like its squareness.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

I love this car... prob the only SUV I actually like. Glad that it didn't change much with this "facelift" (Honestly, I can't tell any difference on the exterior except the rear lights =P )
    The only other car that it can be compared with would be the Hummer H1, which both of them are truely military vehicles. The G is, imho, better than the Hummer H1 though.
    BTW, the flat glass makes it very easy to replace. Get any glass shops and cut a flat piece of glass, and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    if i was going off road in a mercedes i'd take a unimog. I know its not an suv though. my friend used to have one and drove it on the streets for a laugh, he even had the ordasity to park it in th uni car park (very cramped and a hit and run insurance nightmare)
    He drove a unimog to uni? Brilliant! That's what I need to do next.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

I like the G-Class, its so old school and utilitarian and still semi-pointless in the H1 sort of way ($80k+ for a cleaned up military vehicle?) Its wonderful.

needs abit more face lift, maybe botox may look better
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

It's perfect, there's no need to facelift it
    My other signature has a V12

why give it that plasticy mercedes interior, it should be tough, hard and wreckless like the car is meant to be!

Thread Information