Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merc Benz 190 E Petrol or Diesel?

Merc Benz 190 E Petrol or Diesel?

hi,

I want to buy a Merc 190, but dont know whether to go for the 2.0L petrol auto or the 2.5L diesel auto. does anyone drive either of these? whats their fuel consumption? I've heard to steer clear of the manuals. Any other info would be great as well.

thanks,
    BenB2007

Well, my mother had a 190E 2.3 petrol as I was growing up.

So, as someone who knows this stuff, I can safely say that at least one person commented on the slow-ness of the 2.3 (hey it's pretty heavy)

But diesels at the time were dirty and smelly, so try the 2.6 or something else.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

If I could afford I'd get the 2.6 with its lovely six.

If not in such an old car, which means old tech, I'd steer clear of the diesels. Bear in mind, though, that this is just a personal opinion not based on anything tangible.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

2.3 16 cosworth FTW!
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    2.3 16 cosworth FTW!
    Good luck finding one.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

ok thanks guys. Any one else? i'm in the UK, and basically anything over about a 2 or 2.3 litre petrol is just out of the question due to the cost of fuel here. close to 1 pound a litre (thats about $2 a litre or $7.50 a US gallon). thats the reason for the question with the diesel if its more economical...

Basically i want the cheap luxury with a well built car that does at least 35 (british)MPG. my girl friend drives a small 1.9 diesel 1999 peugot 206 that averages 50 MPG, or 57-60MPG when on the motorway.

oh, bassically i want a motorway cruising car that is comfortable.

It ain't going to happen with the 2.3

We averaged under-30ish if I remember correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    2.3 16 cosworth FTW!
    Then why not a 2.5? It's better still.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If I could afford I'd get the 2.6 with its lovely six.

If not in such an old car, which means old tech, I'd steer clear of the diesels. Bear in mind, though, that this is just a personal opinion not based on anything tangible.
    In fact, the 6 cylinder petrol Mercedes until the early 90's are heavy footed cars. And although the engine sounds sweet, it has a lot of inertia and revs slowly. It's just an engine with loads of torque, just like... a diesel! My father owns a 94 C280, and believe me, it's not a fun car to drive. And yes, the Mercedes manual boxes suck. And the clutch is sooo heavy!!!
    The 2.5 diesel is indeed slow, but it is very economical in spite of what it's capacity may lead you to believe. It's also incredibly reliable.

If what you're looking for is an echonomic, decent and comfortable car, go for it.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    In fact, the 6 cylinder petrol Mercedes until the early 90's are heavy footed cars. And although the engine sounds sweet, it has a lot of inertia and revs slowly. It's just an engine with loads of torque, just like... a diesel! My father owns a 94 C280, and believe me, it's not a fun car to drive. And yes, the Mercedes manual boxes suck. And the clutch is sooo heavy!!!
    It's all about the smothness and effortless pace. If you're gonna buy a Benz (which after all is a luxury car) what you want is that not some frantic, buzzy 4 banger.

About heavy clutches, well everything is heavy and tough in the Mini, so I wouldn't be worried...
    Visca Catalunya!

Go for the diesel, over here they still roll around pretty well and are very respected, reliable "old" cars.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I own a 1992 250D and also had a 190D both are really good I would go with the diesel
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    Then why not a 2.5? It's better still.

In fact, the 6 cylinder petrol Mercedes until the early 90's are heavy footed cars. And although the engine sounds sweet, it has a lot of inertia and revs slowly. It's just an engine with loads of torque, just like... a diesel! My father owns a 94 C280, and believe me, it's not a fun car to drive.
    Strange you should think that Merc 6cyls 'rev slowly'

Not in my experience, after owning 1960s M130 sohc then 1970s & '80s M110 twincam. And having driven many others including 1980s M103 sohc and 1990 M104 dohc in E-class autos, which are 'fun' enough imho when they out-accelerate 5-litre V8 manual Commodores

Also driven this modified M110 (considered buying it) that could do 8000rpm

Maybe you're confused by the notoriously heavy throttle spring, or the 2nd-gear start in some of their autos
    And yes, the Mercedes manual boxes suck. And the clutch is sooo heavy!!!
    My M130 was a floorshift manual and yes the box left something to be desired .. but it did have personality! In fact due to a knee injury I specifically chose that car because the (hydraulic) clutch was so unusually light and smooth. I cant speak for later clutches or the redesigned manual boxes which were supposedly much improved
    The 2.5 diesel is indeed slow, but it is very economical in spite of what it's capacity may lead you to believe. It's also incredibly reliable.
    You're right about that bit. Been searching recently for a 190D 2.5 for a mate. They are a fairly rare item here and often with huge mileages. The most recent ones I've seen were still chugging along @ 450,000 and 480,000 kms - good enough durability for any car, let alone a small one

Btw those old style M-B diesels are one of the few engines that are suitable to run on chip oil - eg sourced from takeaway food shops etc, so they really are 'cheap as chips' to run In fact until recently those shops used to pay you cash for taking their used cooking oil away!

Err... 190E is ugly IMO.

A4 B5 ? hehe ...
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Err... 190E is ugly IMO.

A4 B5 ? hehe ...
    It's not ugly, it's understated. And it's a proper Merc.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information