Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standard Engine (Bernie's latest ploy to destroy F1)

Standard Engine (Bernie's latest ploy to destroy F1)

It seems that Bernie has taken up the challenge to strip Formula 1 of all its appeal by suggesting that teams should use standard engines from 2010 onwards. This an attempt to lower expenses for the teams. I guess the little man has missed that every attempt to lower expenses failed miserably as the manufacturers will find new areas to spend their ludicrous budgets on.

He made these suggestions in an interview with the Times newspaper: Bernie Ecclestone outlines Formula One plan - Times Online
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

a new product to be built by a company under the control of former race mechanic B. Ecclestone.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

All I have to say is that F1 is not a spec series - there are other series that are spec series and all power to them but F1 is not meant to be. This is stupid and I don't think it will happen.

I can understand when the standard car rules are imposed in lower level series, which are mostly made to find out a good driver for higher series, but here.. it's just stupidity as it is. Manufactuers can lose the interest completely, as I suppose the main developments they make in F1 concern engines, and not putting Honda Civic onto a carbon-fiber chassis.

There may be some good come out of this.. more manufacturer interest in LMP racing. Then maybe it will be shown on free to air tele here.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    There may be some good come out of this.. more manufacturer interest in LMP racing. Then maybe it will be shown on free to air tele here.
    Exactly and there is less now that the FIA can do about that than ever before.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I don't know, the standardising of the engines will bring the competition between the drivers closer and more interesting.

But there is also competition between manufactuers to make the best performing car, and making a standardised engine may lose their interest in supporting the sport.

Its also interesting how in the article this is said to be part of a "survival" plan yet whats surviving I'm not yet sure of.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

This is a preposterous idea...
    ...but maybe it won't be as bad as we thought. Let's just add WTCC too.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Exactly and there is less now that the FIA can do about that than ever before.
    That's if you prefer LMP racing. I find the LMS races too long for my liking - I prefer the more sprinty ALMS format - mind you Le Mans is great. I think it'd be cool if there was a WSC again but that unfortunately would not work out well I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    This is a preposterous idea...

...but maybe it won't be as bad as we thought. Let's just add WTCC too.
    You really dig the WTCC. Do you watch all the races? What makes it so good?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    That's if you prefer LMP racing. I find the LMS races too long for my liking - I prefer the more sprinty ALMS format - mind you Le Mans is great. I think it'd be cool if there was a WSC again but that unfortunately would not work out well I suppose.
    WSC = FIA = Bad. ALMS = LMP racing. Your point = invalid.

(Ted Joans)

the FWD diesel engined and winning Seats....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I watch as many as I can, but not all.

What makes it so good is it has proper racing. There's overtaking, body contact the lot. Great action.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm amazed that Mr Ecclestone is obviously such a master of dictatorship that he can't see the death knells of this racing formula.

The pinnacle of motorsport is now further removed from reality than ever.

Bring on WTCC. If it's anything like the BTCC of old it should be win.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    WSC = FIA = Bad. ALMS = LMP racing. Your point = invalid.
    I shoulda nuanced it better. For the WSC, I mean a worldwide LMS - but not run by the FIA.

By LMP racing I guess I meant endurance racing as I enjoy the ALMS.

If this happened, teams would still be stacked (Ferrari, McLaren-Merc, Renault, BMW). The team with the most extra wealth would buy out the best pilots and F1 would just be a faster GP2.

This is mad.

Thread Information