Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadilllac NART Zagato

Cadilllac NART Zagato

This is the kinda car you gotta see to believe, it's a NART car with a Cadillac engine and Zagato body.

The ad:

In 1968, an ambitious project was begun to bring to market a luxury/performance automobile that would compete favorably with Ferrari's legendary gran turismo cars. Involved were General Motors and Luigi Chinetti, famous Ferrari race car driver and the exclusive Ferrari U.S. distributor from 1947-1970. What ultimately evolved was the 1970 Cadillac NART Zagato, with each bearer of that name playing a vital role. GM contributed the drivetrain: the Cadillac Eldorado's 472-cid V-8, as well as the Turbo Hydra-Matic and front-drive transaxle. The engine was rated at 375 bhp, though as installed in the NART, 400 bhp is claimed. The basic chassis was a modified Eldo unit, with the Caddy's drive unit mounted at the rear, but reversed for rear-wheel drive. Perhaps it's the shorter exhaust system that pumps out the extra 25 horses. The NART connection came via Luigi Chinetti, who was responsible for engineering the car. He had been the spark plug in founding NART: North American Racing Team. Its logo combined a Ferrari prancing horse, stylized Stars and Stripes, and N.A.R.T. initials. NART president emeritus George Arents has said that "Every Ferrari or Osca entry at Le Mans or other European racing circuit was under our banner, as was the factory Formula One campaign from the middle of the 1964 season, which resulted in the world championship of John Surtees." NART badging can be found front and rear on the car, and on the dash.The Zagato part of the name came from the noted coachbuilder that constructed the car. Zagato built the coupe (almost a 2+2) of aluminum. "Z" badges ride on the front fenders and the slightly modified 1967-1968 Eldorado hubcaps. Components for the NART came from many sources. Cadillac contributed a dashboard that was adapted and narrowed, the steering column, four-wheel disc brakes, and more. (Some say Olds Toronado parts were originally used, and many surely would be interchangeable.) Pontiac donated the taillights from its 1968 GTO, and European parts were liberally used. Though involved in the NART project initially, GM dropped out due to numerous delays and the economic difficulties of late 1969. GM's departure ended hopes of putting the car into production, even though it was shown in the Turin and New York auto show. Orders were even taken, but no cars were delivered to the public. Even so, the project progressed to a second design stage for the coupe, with the goal of eliminating the "hump back" look. Car number three was going to be a "bread basket" design wagon. Neither got past the drawing board leaving this the only Cadillac NART ever built. Melvin A. Olshansky, of Glencoe, Illinois, acquired it after it had been in the Chinetti family through 1987. It was fully restored in a 2 ½ year effort by Mill Creek Motors and Upholstery Unlimited, of Clinton, Iowa, and Baileywicks of Fulton, Illinois.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting car, but why does it have a strip speedometer?
    Quite cool, though.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Interesting car, but why does it have a strip speedometer?
    Quite cool, though.
    Caddys have those speedos.

My buddy, who linked me this, called it a Ferrarilac Eldogato.

Brilliant.

Interesting. It has a 1970 Cadillac speedo and dashboard.

Cadillac did have a 400-hp engine available, btw. The 1970 Cadillac engine was 500-cu-in and rated at 400 hp. The other Cadillac engines of that year still used the 472-cu-in engine rated at 375.

Torque rating was 550 lbs-ft for the '70 500 and 525 lbs-ft for the '68-'70 472.

Here is a shot of the dash on my former '70 Sedan de Ville... as can be seen, the speedo is the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

What an awesome one-off and for cheap too! Geez you could have that a summer driving car, have all the reliability of an American car of the era and running costs and still have the only one in the world. Really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Caddys have those speedos.
    Understood, but it's not very sporty.

I hate linear speedos and saw enough of them in my pal's oft-mentioned former Caddy. He actually was the guy that found this ad while looking for Eldorados or something on eBay.

A 1970 Cadillac was not meant to be sporty. Not even the Eldorado (those were called "personal luxury cars").
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

I have seen the car and I know who the seller is. Caveat Emptor. (very,very much)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I hate to say It but I'd prefer an Original Eldorado to this.

It doesn't sit right. and the Flying Buttresses are from hell.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

wierd, but definately unique.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The rear looks like an Alpine A310. I like it.
    Mercedes-Benz fanatic

Is this FWD still?
    Quote Originally Posted by IB4R
    I hate to say It but I'd prefer an Original Eldorado to this.

It doesn't sit right. and the Flying Buttresses are from hell.
    A normal Eldo is definitely better looking than this, but I think this is cooler.

I think this is RWD - they did something fancy with the mid-engine format and yadda yadda made it RWD I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think this is RWD - they did something fancy with the mid-engine format and yadda yadda made it RWD I think.
    That's what I understood from the ad too.

It's interesting, but not my cup of tea.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information