Thread: Radial Bi Rotary Engine ?

Radial Bi Rotary Engine ?

any one able to figure out how this one works ? It"s not a Wankel

160 HP out of a 120 pound ( 60kg) 1600cc engine?
    Last edited by fdv; 03-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.

I remember seeing this on youtube. If I remember correctly their is a single specially shaped cam with a compression chamber on it that spins very fast.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZqCdNU8MlA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZqCdNU8MlA[/ame]
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

What sort of efficiency gains are expected from this?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Isn't this rather like the rotary aero engines used in WW 1 aircraft such as the Sopwith Camel, Spad and Fokker Dr I?

Quote Originally Posted by leroy View Post
    Isn't this rather like the rotary aero engines used in WW 1 aircraft such as the Sopwith Camel, Spad and Fokker Dr I?
    Sort of, in that the pistons are connected to the crank with traditional rods; the crank end is fixed to the engine bulkhead, and the entire mass of cylinders and propeller rotates around the fixed crank. Unlike radial engines, rotaries like the Gnome, Bentley and Clerget also came with control issues. Gyroscopic effect, the lack of proper carburation, and fractional ignition controlled by a "blip" switch made them a handful to control variable power settings. There have been many variations on the rotary-radial concept, from cam actuated pistons to the articulated arms in pairs coupled with standard crank arms in this example. One issue is number of cylinders; odd numbers are smoother, even numbers are inherently unbalanced. In a flat plane (boxer arrangement) it's not a huge problem, but in a rotary of this type, rotating mass magnifies it. The wheel mounted example here uses a fixed case and port fuel delivery, but no matter how compact will effect unsprung weight as well.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

What is the secret of the " BI " between radial and rotary ?

twin opposed pistons ?

This may help. (crudely) translated from RBR - Radial Bi Rotary by Devaere Franky

It is an engine with a patent pended drive system, designed according to the principles of balance and engine related to the family of radial aircraft engines such as engines, rotary engines, bi-rotary engines and car engines like the Wankel rotary piston engines.

In the aviation industry use radial engines, rotary engines and bi-rotary slicing essentially the same drive mechanism for producing rotation, torque and power to an output shaft. In a circular shape around the central shaft are radial cylinders in which pistons move up through connecting rods hinged to a common crank back plate. A rod is firmly connected to the crank plate. Relative rotation of the crankshaft eccentric crank plate forming part of his result against the radially arranged cylinders in a nutation of the crank plate and brings about a sequential reciprocating movement of the pistons.

Engines are characterized by their compact design, simple construction and a relatively high power-weight ratio.

Rotation motors characterized by a stationary crankshaft, pistons and connecting rods and the rest of the rotary engine, vibrations are called but have the disadvantage of a reduced speed because of the tremendous centrifugal forces of rotating engine parts. Because of this rotating mass fast dynamic speed changes are not possible.

Radial Engines (Star engines) characterized by a rotating crankshaft and the engine stopped, have the disadvantage that the current drive mechanism of centrifugal force and inertia forces are not completely balanced. They attempt inertia forces acting on the pistons, connecting rods and the imbalance rocking motion of the crank plate offset by a pivoting counterweight to the crankshaft.

With bi-rotary engine characterized by a rotating crankshaft counter-rotating to the rotating rest of the engine, try the low maximum speed of a rotary offset by adverse way again inertia forces and imbalances inherent in a radial engine to be introduced, thus again a high power to obtain. A successful engine was the Siemens-Halske Sh.III during WWI. During WWII there was a concept with fixed outer ring are introduced. (Patent US1915582 and US2181705 patent - Article 1 - Article 2). And send out an Australian patent from 1993, since this type of engine by any known trends or commercial applications.

Rotary piston engines as a rotary engine characterized by a rotating non-cylindrical piston rotor has the disadvantage of a higher oil caused by the difficult upper engine lubrication, a now unattainable emission because of this oil lubrication, a relatively high fuel consumption caused by the unfavorable shape of the combustion chambers, internal tension due to a non-uniform heat distribution of the rotor caused by the ignition hot zone on one side and cooler intake area on the other side and ribbelslijtage inside for the vibrating rotor apex seal-rings.

Radial engines where conventional drive mechanism was replaced by a rotating eight-shaped profielas (CAM) were also tested: (examples). An unknown engine, a kind of rotary rotating around a stationary-eight profielas (CAM), the Dutch wondertol of aircraft and motorcycle builder Joop Carley from the year 1939 in 1963 reinvented by Porche and recently again by an Australian engineer retired reconstructed into a working copy.

This brings us finally to this innovative, simple, lightweight, compact, vibration-free bi-rotary engine. This engine is a further extension to my existing 4-stroke cylinder radial engine with the same perfectly and completely vibration-free drive mechanism and is in its current form, no bigger than a car rim.

Each component has an associated component that fact at any time and at any time all these components working centrifugal and inertia forces are equal and opposites cancel each other and themselves in balance.

The existing test model is a 4 cylinder 4 stroke bi-rotary engine with a planetary gear set and the crankshaft is rotated five times faster than the rotor, which contains the cylinders. Every revolution of the rotor or cylinder every five revolutions of the crankshaft, thus provides 12 power strokes. It is obvious that this high number of power strokes per revolution of the crankshaft a great potential horsepower. For comparison, a conventional in-line four-cylinder engine delivers two power strokes per revolution of the crankshaft. One rotation of the rotor or three revolutions of the crankshaft of a rotary motor, 3 power strokes.

This radial-bi-rotary valve system has no expensive. The top of the cylinders are open and are surrounded by a solid ferrule which alternating intake and exhaust ports are located. The 4 cylinders rotate with their open top to the relevant inlet and outlet ports of the fixed ferrule and thus achieve the four-stroke principle. The spark plugs in this motor rotor mounted in the cylinder but also at appropriate places in the fixed ferrule mounted. Diesel version which can be more appropriate in the injectors in the fixed ferrule assembly.

Currently a 750cc engine built inlaatpporten 4 and 4 exhaust ports. This engine delivers 16 power strokes per rotor revolution., Which not only the centrifugal and inertia forces are balanced, but also the explosive forces.

The apex-seal rings the open cylinders relative to the fixed ferrule sealing compared with a Wankel engine is not only more conventional in form, they can now without consumption lubricated and cooled, causing no ribbelslijtage (huge Wankel Bug!) And the friction speed much lower than the rotary engine as the rotor rotates 5 times slower. The fixed ferrule is drawn as a result of the alternating intake and exhaust ports in a more uniform heat distribution than a rotary engine in which the latter type of engine the rotor on one side is hot and the cold side. The cylindrical combustion chambers and inflammation in the context of fuel consumption and emission, much better shape than in a Wankel engine.

As this very compact engine economically constructed from a combination of alloy steel (drive mechanism having), extruded aluminum (rotor and cylinder) and torlon, this high-revving short-stroke engine is a potentially great power to weight ratio.

All parts of this engine with existing technologies on conventional machines created.

In addition, this engine is provisioned to operate on the atkinsonprincipe for high thermal efficiency in combination with different alternative fuels.

author: Franky Devaere
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-09-2011 at 05:09 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

twin opposed pistons ?

This may help. (crudely) translated fromRBR - Radial Bi Rotary by Devaere Franky
    it could be purely coincidence but Devaere Franky and user FDV might not be one and the same person?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it could be purely coincidence but Devaere Franky and user FDV might not be one and the same person?
    Yes you're right my neighbor.

It was not the intention to put my engine on this forum( anyway , not immediately) . So i started with the Russian one, a link i recently got from a French gyro copter fanatic.

This is weird , two developers thinking almost the same so far away from each other. The last ( and the only ) prototype bi-rotary engine that was produced and did his job with success was in 1940, but practically nobody is aware of this engine.

the Russian link : http://www.skyline.ua/DD-3_eng.html

But Matra et Alpine hit the jackpot immediately and wend straight on my engine.

These are bi-rotaries. Very very rare. Crankshaft is running 6 times faster than the rotor house that is turning in the opposite direction . Minimalising gyroscopic effect ( post csl177 ) and apex-seal wear. There are 12 or 16 ignitions per cylinder rotor revolution. Compared with Wankel which has 3.

The Russian engine has the normal aviation radial engine drive mechanism.
    Last edited by fdv; 03-09-2011 at 06:24 AM.

ha ! welcome "Frank"

So can I charge you for the translation I provided ?

Oddly, the normal responses to lying, impersonating someone and spamming are all the same .... lifetime ban. You may regret the choice to not be honest WHY not be truthful on coming to the forum ??

ha ! welcome "Frank"

So can I charge you for the translation I provided ?

Oddly, the normal responses to lying, impersonating someone and spamming are all the same .... lifetime ban. You may regret the choice to not be honest WHY not be truthful on coming to the forum ??
    Well, i tried a modest ( but honest ) entrance in this forum . gathering more info on the interior of that Russian engine. I'm almost 100% sure it's a radial in it. In the specifications i find a 7 cylinder ( always uneven numbers in radials ).

Was that a google translation ?

PS : worked some time in Scotland. ( Inverness , love that country )
    Last edited by fdv; 03-09-2011 at 08:11 AM.

AMT.nl - Radiale bi-rotatie motor volmaakt in balans

For the dutch people; the leading technical magazine AMT dedicated a newsletter to this engine

A New Rotary Engine Design - look here [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEKv4m5bfY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEKv4m5bfY[/ame]
    source http://www.rotor-motor.ru/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information