Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out

Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM

GDL
Send a message via MSN to teatako
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
Michael Mauer is actually pretty well regarded amongst car designers. But moving to Porsche usually meant the car design staff spent their time subtly reworking the 911 Shape.

Now you can see why they shouldn't really be allowed to design much else.
In the real world, it´s not that easy. There´s politics involved, there´s a lot of opinions on "what´s good looking"(edit: and they don´t always come from people who know that they talk about. they just have a seat on the BOD...) and a lot of talk about marketing parameters, technical & engineering aspects (crucial this, obviously) costs and whatnot.

It´s obvious they went for expressing power rather than beauty. The car certainly looks aggresive, not unlike modern Mercedes Benzes with all their mutant appendages. And of course it will sell.

I love the retro " P O R S C H E " font they used.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Fanatic

Southeast US
It's horrid from it's Buick interior to it's nasty exterior.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Novice

i like this style
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I find the prices somewhat low.

And I still wouldn't have one.
they aren't much different from those of the Quattroporte, which is also the reason why you wouldn't buy a Panamera in first place.

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
they aren't much different from those of the Quattroporte, which is also the reason why you wouldn't buy a Panamera in first place.
Well the S is slitghly faster than QP and about 20 grand cheaper. And the Turbo makes the QP look like a Punto in performance terms.

I'd still without any doubt have the big Maser though.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Well the S is slitghly faster than QP and about 20 grand cheaper. And the Turbo makes the QP look like a Punto in performance terms.

I'd still without any doubt have the big Maser though.
Is the Maser your favourite current Sedan?

If you could ball in any sedan, what would be near the top of your list?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
Is the Maser your favourite current Sedan?

If you could ball in any sedan, what would be near the top of your list?
Of the big ones, it and the Arnage.

But since the Arnage is nearly dead, I guess it's going to be the Quattroporte, yes.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Furniture

brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
i saw a slightly older arnage today, looked like a hyundai from the rear til i got close.
but this...this is a mistake.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Land of the long white cloud
No matter what people think of the styling of it, Porsche are trying to get more customers that they are missing out on.

The 911 is quite possibly the best sports car of all time (not easy to say when i'm a Ferrari man at heart) and the Boxster & Cayman follow on that tradition, albeit slightly cheaper.

What Porsche will be banking on is those owners who have a 911 of some description, but look at the Mercedes-Benz, Maserati, BMW's etc for there 4 door saloon needs.

So instead of the 911 owner having his 911 & a Mercedes-Benz S 500 in the garage, Porshce are hoping that the same owner will have his 911 & a Panamera.

It's business, not passion here. Porshce are missing out on market share, and they've built a product to hopefully give them some of that market. Plain & simple.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyleECoyote View Post
What Porsche will be banking on is those owners who have a 911 of some description, but look at the Mercedes-Benz, Maserati, BMW's etc for there 4 door saloon needs.
..and they're probably still going to buy MB/BMW etc etc unless this is seriously good to drive, and/or Porsche offers a really good deal.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Furniture

Western Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to whiteballz
You know how porsche people are sam. They're like hoarders.

One just isn't enough.

Dick
Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyleECoyote View Post
No matter what people think of the styling of it, Porsche are trying to get more customers that they are missing out on.

The 911 is quite possibly the best sports car of all time (not easy to say when i'm a Ferrari man at heart) and the Boxster & Cayman follow on that tradition, albeit slightly cheaper.

So instead of the 911 owner having his 911 & a Mercedes-Benz S 500 in the garage, Porshce are hoping that the same owner will have his 911 & a Panamera.

It's business, not passion here. Porshce are missing out on market share, and they've built a product to hopefully give them some of that market. Plain & simple.
At Porsche making money is more important than making cars. But we've known this since the Cayenne...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Well, the more money Porsche makes, the crazier the supercars they can give us in the future!

Guys, stop complaining. It's be much worse if it was something like a BMW X6 or X3. We don't need another blown up 911 to be squished a little bit. Meanwhile, a sedan is pretty cool. Might be a bit awkward in styling, but I do like it. It definitely should drive well. What's not to like? Interior looks really cool.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
You know how porsche people are sam. They're like hoarders.

One just isn't enough.
that is true, but it only applies to 911's
if i wanted a 4 seater/4 door... i'd go get one off a company with a history of making good ones.

imo i'd rather a 928 remake or something.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
Well, the more money Porsche makes, the crazier the supercars they can give us in the future!

Guys, stop complaining. It's be much worse if it was something like a BMW X6 or X3. We don't need another blown up 911 to be squished a little bit. Meanwhile, a sedan is pretty cool. Might be a bit awkward in styling, but I do like it. It definitely should drive well. What's not to like? Interior looks really cool.
they could have already done a new supercar instead of buying VW stocks fearing a foreign takeover.
they already crossed the line with the Cayenne, with the first warning being the 914, not for the car itself but for the collaboration with VW.
I'm aware of where the 356 came from, but it's not that Porsche could have done things differently. he knew the Beetle quite well, obviously, and it was cheap as a base to start with.
like tuners using Porsches right now.
Ferrari earns a lot of money without anything like a Cayenne, and the California, the most controversial model from them in the current lineup, isn't even carrying money yet.
So, Pagani, or McLaren should built an SUV too just to earn more money?! or a diesel mid size sedan?
this isn't exactly the same Porsche it was 20 years ago, and the fact the company wasn't in good conditions, isn't my point. Even Lamborghini is always been short on money since...ever. Still it's one of the most famous brand all over the world, and now it's also making money, even if selling a part its heritage thanks to Audi and the R8.
way way way more acceptable, even welcomed perhaps.

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Tags
german, porsche