Thread: Honda GRX Concept

Honda GRX Concept

Honda GRX Concept Hybrid Debuts at 2006 NAIAS Exhibit

Detroit, MI - January 10, 2006 -- Michelin Challenge Design(TM) (MCD) brings an international collection of 36 works - including two high-profile concept vehicles making their North American debut from Honda and Italdesign-Giugiaro Toyota - for a special exhibition at the 2006 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). In addition to the Honda GRX hybrid concept and concept eco supercar Toyota Volta, this year's MCD exhibit features 12 scale models and 22 computer-generated drawings from 35 designers representing 19 countries.

The 2006 Michelin Challenge Design theme: vehicles for the California market that incorporate an alternative powertrain and consider the effect of that powertrain on tire size and appearance and the role electronic technologies play in tire systems, attracted more than 200 entries from individual designers in 40 countries. This year's theme fused design and innovative automotive technologies to encourage entries that were the result of teamwork between design and engineering.

'Michelin expanded the theme this year to include advanced technology, and we were pleased with the number and quality of the concept vehicles it generated,' said Tom Chubb, vice president of marketing, Michelin Automotive Industry Division. 'The momentum and enthusiastic support this program enjoys from the global design community has been tremendous and we have the outstanding jury members and entrants for the last five years to thank for that.'

The works selected for exhibition were chosen by a distinguished panel of judges representing car companies, design studios, aviation, education and media. The list of judges for 2006, led by MCD Jury Chairman Stewart Reed from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, Calif., includes:

- Peter Brock, journalist, designer and builder;

- Freeman Thomas, Ford's advanced design chief;

- Professor Gordon Murray, F1 racing, McLaren F1 road car and super car design director;

- Paul MacCready, Ph.D., Aviation Hall of Famer;

- Jason Hill, designer of MCC sprinter car and Porsche Carrera GT concept vehicles; and

- Shawn Collins, industrial designer, entrepreneur and recent Art Center College of Design graduate.

American Honda Concept GRX Hybrid, an ultra-light and compact sport vehicle for the 21st century, aims at a unique synergy derived from the company's vast experiences in both motorcycle and automotive R&D programs and manufacturing. The conceptual study model created by Honda R&D Americas, Inc. in Torrance, Calif., is powered by a 1,500cc six-cylinder, horizontally opposed engine developed for motorcycle applications.

The aerodynamic exterior and interior design inspired by a Formula racer were then carried over for the J-VX concept, an evolutionary version that made its debut at the 1997 Tokyo Motor Show. The GRX and J-VX concepts eventually led to the production Honda Insight.

MCD was launched in 2001 as a way to showcase creativity and innovation in vehicle design on a global scale around a central theme. Each year, Michelin invites designers around the world, from individuals to small and large companies, to create and display significant design work that would normally not have an opportunity to be shown at a major auto show.

The world's largest tire maker, Michelin (www.michelin.com) manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks, motorcycles and the space shuttle. The company also publishes travel guides, maps and atlases covering Europe, Asia, Africa and North America. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America employs more than 23,000 and operates 20 plants in 16 locations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 90ft; 06-02-2006 at 06:04 AM.

Head-on that is scarily reminiscent of a Murcielago. Has the same sorta angles, especially with the headlight and the plain spaces just above the headlights.

Last edited by :Exige:; 05-31-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Not bad I have to say...
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I like it too! A poor man's Lamborghini that should be made in place of the Insight. At least it looks more inspiring.

looks nice...maybe if it was on the road kids would say, "daddee!!! It's a hot Lambo!!!"

Sorry, but these photos are of the Honda Concept GRX Hybrid introduced to the 2006 Michelin Challenge Design.

http://www.michelinchallengedesign.c...naias_2006.asp

The external design is very similar to the 1997 J-VX, but in reality it deals with two different prototypes.

Yes that's correct it is also the GRX
    This is from the Michelin Challenge web site.
    You apparently didn't read it.

Ultra-light and Compact Sport for the 21st Century.
    Aiming at a unique synergy derived from the company’s vast experience in both motorcycle and automotive R&D programs and manufacturing, the conceptual study model is powered by a 1,500cc six-cylindered horizontally opposed engine developed for motorcycle application. The aerodynamic exterior and interior design inspired by a Formula racer were then carried over for the J-VX, an evolutionary version that made its debut at the 1997 Tokyo Motor Show.

The only difference between the two cars are the power plants. As such they are identical in the photos. I called it this thread J-VX as the J-VX was designed in 1997.

Excuse me, but didn't want to be a polemic correction.
    I reported only about the photos that were not of the J-VX but of the GRX.
    Only a precise statement.

Some 1997 J-VX photos can be seen here:

http://www.conceptcars.it/case/honda.htm

Best Regards

My appologies . . . it does appear that there are aesthetic differences.
    It seems that the exterior at least was not '"carried over""
    I will change the name and text(if I can find some) in the thread.

Edit:
    There you go.
    To make up for my own lack of ability to understand the word - evolutionary - I have found some more pictures of the GRX. .. . . .
    Last edited by 90ft; 06-02-2006 at 06:29 AM.

2006 Honda GRX Concept

90ft - tell me what you want me to do with this thread. Rename it, split it into 2 threads, what?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thread Information