Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morgan 4/4 1936-

Morgan 4/4 1936-

Morgan 4/4 70th Anniversary

A RECORD BREAKER FROM MORGAN

There are many motor manufacturers who can claim 70 years of continuous production, but it is only the Morgan Motor Company who can make this claim with the same model!
    Launched back in 1936 the Morgan 4/4 remains in full production today. To celebrate this unique achievement, the Morgan Motor Company has unveiled a special model.

Appropriately named "70th Anniversary", just 142 cars will be built - two cars for every year of its production life since launch. Each car individually marked with the year it honours, and finished in period style.
    With the specification subtly changing through the decades with period colours, trims and hood styles, the standard specification of fold flat windscreen, vintage dashboard, sheepskin bonnet strap and drilled steel wheels with chrome hub caps, all add highly visual links to the past.

A strong galvanised steel chassis carries coachbuilt bodywork of aluminium panels over an ash frame, built to the same tradition as the 1930s.
    The 70th Anniversary limited edition cars have been fully tested and developed to meet all of the latest crash and emission standards with the latest 4/4s being powered by the super efficient 1.8 litre 125 bhp Ford Duractec engine.

Charles Morgan, Director and Grandson of the Company’s founder said "we are really proud to celebrate this anniversary. We have made nearly 10,000 4/4s over the years. The fact that we have kept the essence and character of the car, whilst keeping the functionality and safety totally current is a testament to the original design, and the skills and ingenuity of our engineers at the factory in Malvern."

The 142 Anniversary cars will be priced at £27,950 including VAT, production runs from January to November 2006. Further details can be found on the Morgan Motor Company web site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vaigra; 03-05-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

hey, were are the pics?

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    hey, were are the pics?
    That's a good question.. Let's see if he has got them too, not just the press release.

lol oh!

I don't know what happened there, I uploaded them first time...
    Last edited by Vaigra; 03-05-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Being nice since 2007.

Oh, photos from seriouswheels.com? A already saw these photos. Nice car and very classic.

no, photo's from morgan media site.

Being nice since 2007.

Come on guys, I would love to split this thread in all the different 7 series.
    But we need some pictures.
    If you have some please post them but not multiple series in a single post, please
    (not the 1ste and 3rd series in one)

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Come on guys, I would love to split this thread in all the different 7 series.
    But we need some pictures.
    If you have some please post them but not multiple series in a single post, please
    (not the 1ste and 3rd series in one)
    Surely, they will all look the same...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Surely, they will all look the same...
    LOL every Morgan looks almost the same. But the first versions are different.
    Morgan 4/4 1947

Well, let's start organising this.

First there is the Morgan 4-4, introduced in 1936 with a 1122 cc Coventry Climax engine, in 1939 replaced by a slightly larger Standard engine. This model was produced until March 1951, when it was replaced by a the +4, with its 2 litre Standard/Triumph engine. It looked virtually the same as the car it had replaced, but underneath there were some major changes.
    To tell what is what it is easiest to know the year of built, anything with the flat radiator built before 1951 is a 4-4, the flat one radiator cars thereafter are +4s. Gradually the radiator shape was changed to the waterfall type we know so well, I will post a shot of a 1952 car already having the new radiator.

The +4 went on to 1969, when it was replaced by the +8, with the alloy Rover V8.

In 1955 the 4-4 was re-introduced, using the +4 chassis, but fitted with a side valve Ford 100E engine, producing a hefty 36 horsepower. The car was now named 4/4 Series two, and since then the 4/4 continued as the entry model using increasingly powerful ford engines, and even a twin cam Fiat became available in later years.

Outwardly they indeed look very similar since 1955 so it's the year of build will mostly determine to which series (II to V until 1968 when the 4/4 1600 was introduced) a certain car belongs. The only thing we know for certain is that a 4-4 is always a car produced before march 1951.
    Last edited by Duell; 10-13-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

A Morgan powered by a twin cam Fiat enigne?

Can you elaborate further Pieter?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The 4-4 Morgans ran pre-war during the Le Mans 24 hours and are therefore eligible for the Le Mans Classic. Here is chassis 259 in 2012 (first four shots) and in 2010.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    A Morgan powered by a twin cam Fiat enigne?

Can you elaborate further Pieter?
    "Introduced in November 1981 was a 98 bhp (73 kW; 99 PS) Fiat 1584 cc twin-cam engine and five-speed Fiat gearbox.

96 were built by November 1985."

Directly from wikipedia, I was also surprised. It is obviously the Mirafiori TC engine.

and here is chassis 290, during the 2012 LMC.

This is the 1939 Le Mans back-up car for the factory team. It was not used. It was retained by the factory and sold in 1946. Shown here on the Morgan stand at the Geneva Motorshow in 2009 and along the walkway to the drivers club at the Goodwood Festival of Speed also in 2009.

Thread Information