Thread: Car and Driver magazine's 10 best list of 2006

Car and Driver magazine's 10 best list of 2006

Quote Originally Posted by http://autos.msn.com
    For the twenty-fourth time, automotive enthusiast magazine Car and Driver named its 10Best cars for the new model year.

The magazine’s editors nominated and then tested more than 50 vehicles on a road course consisting of twists and turns on less-than-perfect pavement. Each car was judged based on value, how well it performed in its respective category, and whether it exhibited standout qualities such as striking looks or a powerful engine.

Domestic brands took top honors in three of the ten categories for 2006, all of which are repeat winners. The Chrysler 300 kept its title as Best Full-Size Sedan. Ford's Mustang GT remains a hot commodity and was named Best Muscle Car once again, while the sixth-generation Chevrolet Corvette is still Car and Driver's Best Performance Car.

Three European models made the grade for the 2006 10Best list, and of course the BMW 3-Series is on the list. We say "of course" because the 3-Series has been on the 10Best list for 15 straight years—this year as Best Luxury Sports Sedan. Other European models include the new Audi A3 2.0T as Best Sport Compact and the Porsche Boxster as Best Luxury Sports Car.

The only brand to field two 10Best winners is Mazda. The all-new MX-5 Miata earned Best Roadster honors, while its sibling, the RX-8, was named Best Sports Coupe. Another longtime winner on the 10Best list is the Honda Accord. Named Best Family Sedan, the Accord has made the list 20 of the last 24 years. Also from Honda but wearing a different brand, the Acura TSX was named Best Sports Sedan.

Car and Driver only includes new or significantly updated models in its 10Best competition, although the previous year's winners are automatically entered into the current competition. Base price must be no higher than $71,000 which is 2.5 times the average new-vehicle transaction price as of August 2005.

Seven of this year's winners were on last year's list. Repeat winners included the Acura TSX, BMW 3-Series, Chevrolet Corvette, Chrysler 300, Honda Accord and Mazda RX-8.
    I don't think the Chrysler 300C deserves to be called the best full size sedan (saloon). I think Car and Driver needs to look at cars beyond $71,000 base price.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Corvette? Best Performance Car? They need to think beyond American. Corvette is sold for a cheap price just because............look at the interior, it's all plastic, not enough room, and uncomfortable. Best roadster? For $71k MSRP you can get a SLK55 AMG. Well at least this is better than tuner magazines which they would claim different riced version of a Honda Civic as their top 10.
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 01-02-2006 at 07:06 AM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

What is the point in going over the $71,000 mark? I don't think everyone reading that magazine can afford cars over that, so why include cars that the readers can't afford?

It seems like a reasonable list to me.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    It seems like a reasonable list to me.
    taking into account the limited supply of foreign cars you are getting over there
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    taking into account the limited supply of foreign cars you are getting over there
    The mag is tailored to N. American audience, and unlike the sibiling publication Road & Track, C/D is more practical....

There are 3 N. american cars, 3 European cars, and 4 japanese cars on the list. Sounds like they tried to make it pretty even.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    The mag is tailored to N. American audience, and unlike the sibiling publication Road & Track, C/D is more practical....
    I know that, our European car of the year award hardly ever features any car from the States, because one of the criteria is that a car should be available on all european markets.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Bias if you ask me, i see no 4 or 3 and finally 0 which means those guys wasted there time, sure the Corvette is good, but come on?
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    Corvette? Best Performance Car? They need to think beyond American. Corvette is sold for a cheap price just because............look at the interior, it's all plastic, not enough room, and uncomfortable. Best roadster? For $71k MSRP you can get a SLK55 AMG. Well at least this is better than tuner magazines which they would claim different riced version of a Honda Civic as their top 10.
    The biggest problem with Car and Driver is they are biased towards American cars

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    its NOT plastic

It's PVC
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE
    (UCP'S biggest Zonda fan)

Stand up next to a mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand. Pick up all the peices make an island over there
    Jimi H...

Quote Originally Posted by Zondaboy1
    its NOT plastic

It's PVC
    Did you see the Top Gear episode in which they tested the Z06?

I agree the Corvette should not have gotten the best sports car award, the Lotus Elise and Exige are available in the US now, I can't see how the Vette is better than either of those two...faster in a straight line yes...but not better. Also, the Mustang GT got best muscle car? I'd take the GTO over the Mustang anyday.
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 01-03-2006 at 09:29 PM.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Chrysler 300 Best Full-Size Sedan<<<<<<<<<<There are too many better cars.

Ford Mustang GT Best Muscle Car<<<<<<<<<Specific enough category to wedge it in.

Chevrolet Corvette Best Performance Car<<<<Only American entry I agree with.

BMW 3-Series Best Luxury Sports Sedan<<<Reluctantly agree. Lexus?

Audi A3 2.0T Best Sport Compact<<<<<<<<These are way overpriced, I'd pick Acura RSX.

Porsche Boxster as Best Luxury Sports Car<<<Agree.

Mazda MX-5 Miata Best Roadster<<<<<<<<<<Only because of new criteria, the S2000 is better.

Mazda RX-8 Best Sports Coupe<<<<<<<<<<<G35 Coupe?

Honda Accord Best Family Sedan<<<<<<<<<<<Agree.

Acura TSX Best Sports Sedan <<<<<<<<<<<<<<Lexus IS 250/350.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information