Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rising fuel costs affects half of all Aussies - survey

Rising fuel costs affects half of all Aussies - survey

Survey finds that most Australians drive less to combat increasing fuel prices

By NEIL McDONALD 20 March 2006

RESULTS from an international survey on fuel prices have confirmed the suspicions of many – Australians are changing driving habits because of rising oil prices.

In findings released recently, an ACNielson online consumer opinion survey conducted late last year has shown that rising fuel prices are at the forefront of drivers’ minds.

The poll surveyed more than 23,000 people in 42 countries and included more than 500 Australian participants.

With nine out of 10 Australian consumers having to maintain a vehicle, fuel prices were found to be of widespread concern.

Perhaps not surprisingly, as many as 84 per cent of Australians claim to have felt a hit to their hip pockets caused by escalating petrol prices, according to the ACNielson poll.

When asked whether the increases in fuel prices had affected them in anyway, more than half of the participants (57 per cent) said that they had been affected somewhat, and 27 per cent claimed to have been affected a lot.

In response to rising petrol prices, Australian households have been compelled to adjust their driving habits, with 61 per cent opting to use their vehicle less – the third-highest globally behind the United States and Canada, and the highest in the Asia-Pacific region.

More than half of the Australians surveyed (57 per cent) are trying harder to combine trips, and 29 per cent are cutting down on non-essential living expenses.

The director automotive for ACNielson Australia, Tina Katsinikas, said that not only did Australia have one of the highest percentages of car ownership in the world, any change in oil prices had a bigger impact here.

"It’s also a country of large distances, which means that as petrol prices fluctuate, the impact on our hip pocket is much more significant than in smaller countries where average driving distances are generally shorter, and this is evident in the survey findings," she said.
    I think more now before sticking my foot down, But i still have my fun, But i got to be more careful as it cost me $80 for 68LT's and that gets me a min of 230km max of 300km. So maybe it's not so much the Fuel price for me it's the bad fuel consumption my car gets
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    wow, can't believe it has people change their lives that much..I live in Canada and we've seen the same increases, but my parents drive as if.."o well life goes on" and i live in an upper-middle class family, not a rich one. I get a car next year..i guess i should be aware of it's fuel consumption
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

i just pay it. i dont have a choice so i dont complain and move on, although i AM spending over $100 a week on fuel... i shelled out $1.39 for Optimax the other day
    The Datto will rage again...

long distances? try 20 kilometers just for me to get to school! and thats the closest to my house!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Petrol will always be expensive from now on; grin and bear it, essentially.

Until such time as a viable alternative arises (When the Petrol Companies have milked us dry, probably) it's all we have.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Around here people just wait for tuesdays, beginning of the week it can be anything up to 10c cheaper than thurs-fri
    I am the Stig

I got a website that tell me when it's cheaper, So i always look at that and paid today only $1.17.
    I today seen a VW Jetta Bigger then i expected it's big.
    I wasn't worried today much about petrol got into a drag with a ??? Before the AU Fairlaine EL? Fairlaine V8... I was all over it like Paul Keating on the Queens back. until a silly guy was in my lane doing 40kp/h The big arse went past me with a real grin and a half
    I also seen a Ferrari F??? 540 maybe? Was a little hard to see the number on it. But dam i wasn't over the op impressed by it at all, Big wide arse and so so low, But as he went off i was thinking is that all, Sounded great but.
    I had a great day seeing cars that are just about here or not just right now, Also seen that big ugly new Lexus or Audi SUV Can't remember which it was

haha, the Jetta is pretty sweet. The TDi makes a good argument against a Commodore/Falcon. Same-ish boot, more equipment and plenty of torque!
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Only problem is it looks like most of the overseas cars that are here, Hyundai Honda VW All there cars seem alike in some way.
    But it's big and my first impression was i liked it.

it about $1.15 here today, tuesdays always the cheapest though, often $1.09
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Only problem is it looks like most of the overseas cars that are here, Hyundai Honda VW All there cars seem alike in some way.
    But it's big and my first impression was i liked it.
    Shame about the "pedestrian interior" if you don't cough up the extra $3K for leather. Everything inside turns grey without it
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

I seen it on the ad last night and was shocked cause i didn't see the front of it, And must admit it's better from behind

So prices go up and people decide not to drive, interesting way to keep the road toll down
    O P T I C A L N O T E P R O D U C T I O N S
    www.opticalnote.com - Car Photography

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    it about $1.15 here today, tuesdays always the cheapest though, often $1.09
    Bloody hell! Thats still about half of what us brits have to pay!! We're on about 92pish, which works out at $2.20 for you!!
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade
    Bloody hell! Thats still about half of what us brits have to pay!! We're on about 92pish, which works out at $2.20 for you!!
    Guess you guys wont be getting $3 to a pound lol

Thread Information