Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel cars in America

Diesel cars in America

I am getting really annoyed... I want a Diesel Audi or Merc or Jaguar, but look at what I have to chose from here in the US

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...5.l1513&_pgn=1

This is so rediculous! I cant believe with all these stupid hybrid cars and trucks they are making that they can't supply us with a decent alternative. Most people know that Diesel cars have much better gas mileage than a hybrid. In Europe they have so many to chose from. Why Is America being such a communist?!

I have frankly never understood why US car enthusiasts like diesels so much.

They, that are able to avoid them...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I have frankly never understood why US car enthusiasts like diesels so much.

They, that are able to avoid them...
    What are you talking about? They are so much better on gas. Why would you not want one for a family car? I was looking on UK ebay website and its about 50/50 for petrol and diesel. I don't understan why Americans want us to have cars with poor gas mileage... Pretty much all we have to chose from is a Mercedes E class 320/330/350 or a VW Jetta... thats pretty sad. The Jaguar diesel is an excellent car...

When your fuel tank costs a million to fill up, you buy a tiny little diesel hatchback. Like commie euros do.

When your fuel tank costs tupence to fill up, you buy a massive V8-engined truck. Like yanks do.

Frankly I still don't understand the obsesion US car enthusiasts have with diesel.

Oh and by the way, if you are a proper petrol head you can't have a Jag with a diesel. It's missing completely the point of the car.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think up to some price point people ceased to care about fuel economy and diesel makes less sense....I think that point is about where the E class/5 series diesel sits....

We(North American) are generally lacking in diesel options IMO in smaller cars. The mid-range car we can get them in diesels now if you buy European. Big diesels(Q7 V12, Tourag V10...etc) are probably niche even in EU that it makes even less sense here.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

When your fuel tank costs a million to fill up, you buy a tiny little diesel hatchback. Like commie euros do.

When your fuel tank costs tupence to fill up, you buy a massive V8-engined truck. Like yanks do.

Frankly I still don't understand the obsesion US car enthusiasts have with diesel.

Oh and by the way, if you are a proper petrol head you can't have a Jag with a diesel. It's missing completely the point of the car.
    This commie euro has just bought a C3 Ehdi (as a second car) which promises an average of 22-23 km liter. More details when it will arrive later this month.
    The other diesel this commie euro is driving behaves exactly like the majority of US drivers appreciate, lots of low end torque and spirited acceleration (to a certain extent) when needed, but also doing 15-16 km per liter on average.

Yesterday this commie euro was driving his wife's petrol Stilo for a longer trip and the sound of the engine is really annoying and you actually have to rev it to get some proper progress. Revving is soooo 20th century....

and yes, I might end up one day with having the Jaguar diesel in a new C5.....but that is really communist thinking because it only comes with an autobox.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's funny you mention revving up Pieter, since my V6 sits comfortably at 1200-1400rpm even in 5th, while pretty much all diesels I've driven (that I can remember) only start to pull from 2000rpm.

As for NVH, well there's really no contest is there? Especially the cheaper you go.

By the way, the Jag diesel isn't a Jag diesel. Jag borrowed it from PSA-Ford.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's funny you mention revving up Pieter, since my V6 sits comfortably at 1200-1400rpm even in 5th, while pretty much all diesels I've driven (that I can remember) only start to pull from 2000rpm.

As for NVH, well there's really no contest is there? Especially the cheaper you go.

By the way, the Jag diesel isn't a Jag diesel. Jag borrowed it from PSA-Ford.
    Well, the C5 pulls away easily in sixth from 1300-1400 revs....and I belief so does your car, but mine does it for half the fuel costs.....
    and yes, I know what the Jag diesel is, but I wanted Fastdriver to wonder about that....

what NVH is, escapes me at the moment.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Noise, Vibration and Harshness
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Noise, Vibration and Harshness
    Ah, yes, something that does not apply to my car at all.....hence probably my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Well, the C5 pulls away easily in sixth from 1300-1400 revs....and I belief so does your car, but mine does it for half the fuel costs.....
    Probably less than half...
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    and yes, I know what the Jag diesel is, but I wanted Fastdriver to wonder about that....
    I guess now that he knows it's actually a french engine it has become shit...
    Visca Catalunya!

I guess now that he knows it's actually a french engine it has become shit...
    good point.

You all have completely lost me. I am talking bout fuel economy for a family car. Not high performance or being fun to drive. I want a car that I can comfortably take my wife and 2 kids from point A to point B and get 50 - 60 mpg and still have the luxory of a mercedies, audi or bmw. forget about the rest of that crap. If i wanted something fun to drive Id drive a sports car with a petrol engine and manual gear box...

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    You all have completely lost me. I am talking bout fuel economy for a family car. Not high performance or being fun to drive. I want a car that I can comfortably take my wife and 2 kids from point A to point B and get 50 - 60 mpg and still have the luxory of a mercedies, audi or bmw. forget about the rest of that crap. If i wanted something fun to drive Id drive a sports car with a petrol engine and manual gear box...
    What you want is C5...(see my avatar) that was what I was talking about. And in combination with the fuel economy it has a ride that your German brands can only dream of.

With ridicolous fuel prices? Why?

Also a smooth ride goes perfectly together with a silent enigne.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information