Thread: The Next McLaren F1?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Next McLaren F1?

Hello,

I did a search and didn't find anything. So I apologize if this was already done. The articles I found this info on were released yeaterday, so I don't know if anyone else caught it yet or not.

NOTE: This is not about the McLaren P11, but an actual successor to the McLaren F1.

Formula One powerhouse McLaren secretly has begun work on a replacement for its legendary F1 supercar, while it also gears up to become a mainstream sports-car maker.

McLaren's Technology Center in Woking, England, has built some 2,000 McLaren SLR supercars a year for Mercedes-Benz, but McLaren boss Ron Dennis reportedly has his sights set on producing 1,000 of its upcoming Ferrari F430-fighting P11s a year starting in 2011. The number, Dennis said, will rise to 4,000 cars by mid-decade as future models such as the Porsche 911-challenging P8 come on line.

At the top of those future models, according to McLaren Automotive Design director Frank Stephenson, will be an all-new version of the F1, the 240-mph exotic that rewrote the supercar rules when it arrived in 1992.

In an informal interview at the Geneva motor show, Stephenson said he is sketching ideas to replace the legendary Peter Stevens-styled F1. So, while spy photographers have been busy snapping pictures of P11 prototypes, Stephenson has moved on to the challenge of replacing one of the most revered cars in automotive history.

"For the F1 replacement, there are not the restrictions on us, like with P11," Stephenson said. "I am looking at a clean sheet of paper for the F1 replacement, and we are still trying to see what directions we want it to go in, in terms of its design.

Stephenson, who led design for BMW's first Mini, the original BMW X5, the reborn Fiat 500 and the Maserati MC12, said that McLaren has more road cars to come.

"The P11 is the building block for the whole of the McLaren automotive range," he said. "It's really a Ferrari F430 competitor, and there's plenty of room above that."
    Taken from: The next F1: McLaren plans replacement for supercar: AutoWeek Magazine

Very few cars evoke the kind of passionate reaction that the McLaren F1 does. No one knows this like McLaren itself, which is why at its Technology Centre in Woking, England, McLaren engineers are hard at work developing a successor to the legendary F1.

McLaren is now in the midst of developing the P11 - a mid-engined rival for the Ferrari F430 - to be followed by the Porsche 911-fightin’ P8. The P11 architecture which underpins both cars will also be used to create an über-McLaren to replace the F1.

McLaren’s director of Automotive Design, Frank Stephenson revealed that he was currently sketching ideas for a vehicle to take over where the F1 left off.

“For the F1 replacement, there are not the restrictions on us, like with P11,” Stephenson said. “I am looking at a clean sheet of paper for the F1 replacement, and we are still trying to see what directions we want it to go in, in terms of its design.

“The P11 is the building block for the whole of the McLaren automotive range,” he said. “It’s really a Ferrari F430 competitor, and there’s plenty of room above that.”
    The 'F2' as it is called, will be positioned to compete with the likes of the ultra-exclusive Bugatti Veyron and Koenigsegg CCX. The top-tier McLaren is tipped to run a mid-mounted V8 of around 6.0 litres in capacity, with an estimated top speed of above 385km/h (240mph)

The P11 and P8 projects mark the start of McLarens ‘mainstream’ sportscar production. Initial production of the P11 is set at 1000 units per year when it arrives in 2011, rising to about 4000 units per year with the P8 by the middle of the decade. By comparison only 65 regular F1’s were built.
    Taken from: New Details Of McLaren F1 Successor Emerge

As a big fan of McLaren, I can't wait to see what they come up with. Once again, if this was already posted, and my search did not turn it up, I apologize.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Equinox; 04-03-2009 at 08:49 PM.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Thread Information