Thread: Aston Martin will introduce paddle shifts in V8 Vantage

Aston Martin will introduce paddle shifts in V8 Vantage

Aston Martin will introduce a paddle-shift option on the V8 Vantage at the Paris Motor Show next week. According to AutoExpress, the system will be similar to the one offered on the V12 Vanquish. Essentially, the Aston Martin clutch-less systems are automated manual transmissions. They offer both manual gear changing and a fully automatic mode. Aston will also roll out new Recaro seats for the Vantage and DB9, with heavier bolsters, more adjustability, and a memory function.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Most press reports conclude that the Aston paddle-box is not up to the industry standard. It is not smooth nor is it fast. But, I guess they had to offer such an option, in order to satisfy customer demand.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Most press reports conclude that the Aston paddle-box is not up to the industry standard. It is not smooth nor is it fast. But, I guess they had to offer such an option, in order to satisfy customer demand.

Most press reports from several years ago, concluded that the automated manual was not that good.

It is only fitted to the Vanquish thus far, and since there have been no recent reports it is difficult to know how much revision work has been done, and how much the system has improved.

With the Vantage's important position within the Aston Martin range, I'm sure that they will have done as much work as possible to rectify any shortcomings that the system may have had.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    According to AutoExpress, the system will be similar to the one offered on the V12 Vanquish.
    If i recall the Gearbox on the Vanquish wasn't great, very stiff and so on. Compared to the 575M, the Ferrari was "miles" ahead in that field, just hope they've tweaked it to a good standard..
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Some member on UCP drove the Vanquish S & said that its drive was a major improvement over the Vanquish including the shift paddles. so i guess they probably improved it.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Autocar tested the Vanquish S way back when (I'll dig up the article), and they claimed that the automated manual was much better than the original Vanquish's one.

Companies don't just sit back and ignore what customers and the press say- they'll have definitely improved it.

This is a different 'box to the Vanquish/S one.

Will be a lot more refined than the early Vanquish one, but how good remains to be scene, I'll report as soon as I drive it.

At this stage I'm staying with traditional manual, and this will be a AU$10,000 option
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    This is a different 'box to the Vanquish/S one.

Will be a lot more refined than the early Vanquish one, but how good remains to be scene, I'll report as soon as I drive it.

At this stage I'm staying with traditional manual, and this will be a AU$10,000 option
    You're so cheap

God... you don't even deserve that Aston...

Its not being cheap, its that im still not convinced a paddle is more fun to drive than a F1.

I have no doubt that at a track day a F1 will give better lap times, but it lacks the involvement and pleasure of getting it just right that comes with the perfectly rev matched downshift when you are hard on the brakes, and dont want them to lock.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Its not being cheap, its that im still not convinced a paddle is more fun to drive than a F1.
    I agree, having a Stick (hope thats what "F1" is referring to) can be alot more enjoyable in my personal (none) experience, I'm just saying out of common sence
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Thread Information