Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Flawless GT-R Has a Fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It just lapped the Nordschleiffed in 7:29 with stock tires.
    source: Motor Authority » Official: Nissan GT-R laps Nurburgring in 7m 29s
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/446...r-has-a-fault/

What "plagerise boy" missed from his post, a link to the people who actually wrote it.

They at least have the decency to note who they copied, sorry, who their "source" was, oddly enough it was someone who had done some actual "journalism" and, shock, spoken to someone.

What was actually said about the transmissions:
    "Kobayashi-san, head of MCR,[said] that the gearbox is wearing out quickly under the stress and estimates it’s life span at 12 months of serious track punishment on cars making significant more power than standard."

This is what happens when you have "news" sites that don't do anything other than re-write other people's "news" stories. You make a few changes and soon enough your "news" story is just fiction.

"News" story.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 05-01-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: "News" story
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Yeah, there is no such thing as a flawless car.

BTW i think gtr's are pretty ugly, but they look hot in that 3/4 rear view.
    I think they look alright, not great, but alright. But when you see one on the road, you can't deny that the thing's just got presence.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    As Clutch Says.

So a car made to run at higher power than standard, Driven hard by a tuning company, with NO upgrade made to stock systems, runs out quickly?

Let's see how well a Holden clutch does when you up the power and drive it's nuts off for a year.......

As for the GT-R being flawless.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I don't remember anyone calling this car flawless.
    Exactly. The transmission wasn't designed for those stresses.

Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Not really but some people object to the mass awe this car attracts. Most magazines had articles how it could beet a 997 turbo, Z06 da de da which didnt help.
    Those "people" that are awed by this car are Skyline fanboys. They don't count as human. They're more like crazed zealots.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

Those "people" that are awed by this car are Skyline fanboys. They don't count as human. They're more like crazed zealots.
    You can't deny the car is something special when you read the articles about it. Personally I think the car is probably the best thing you could buy right now in terms of performance and value. Just now i read on a 3000GT/Stealth forum that the Base GTR's Nurburgring time was knocked down to 7.29 on street tires. You can't deny that's incredible for a car that costs $80,000 USD.

Base GT-R breaks 7:30 on the ring. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

I just think most people expect the impossible out of the car and then they discard it when it doesn't meet their expectations despite still being an extraordinary car. There isn't a car in this world that can take constant track abuse for an entire year and still be perfect.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    You can't deny the car is something special when you read the articles about it. Personally I think the car is probably the best thing you could buy right now in terms of performance and value. Just now i read on a 3000GT/Stealth forum that the Base GTR's Nurburgring time was knocked down to 7.29 on street tires. You can't deny that's incredible for a car that costs $80,000 USD.

Base GT-R breaks 7:30 on the ring. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

I just think most people expect the impossible out of the car and then they discard it when it doesn't meet their expectations despite still being an extraordinary car. There isn't a car in this world that can take constant track abuse for an entire year and still be perfect.
    No, I do think that this car is special. But to think that the GT-R is a bulletproof car that can run 100,000 miles with no maintenance after you put 20 bar boost, just like you did on the old Skylines, is just a fanboy created myth.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car.

It’s not supercar priced but it is not inexpensive. It is a performance car and it will be inevitably driven by some who want to use that performance. 12months from a gearbox from track punishment = how much from normal punishment?
    If a GM or Ford product professing to be a performance car had this issue you can expect it would be jumped on quickly and savagely.

Ps I like it.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

& the big deal is ?

not the first car to have a weak part standard afterall is it !?!?!

edit ; i should add that the performance hire-car companys around the area the Nuremburg circuit have cars that feel thrashed & used

you can hire almost any type of car for sale for weekends at a time for ring use . its reccommended :-)
    Last edited by Badsight; 05-01-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    No, I do think that this car is special. But to think that the GT-R is a bulletproof car that can run 100,000 miles with no maintenance after you put 20 bar boost, just like you did on the old Skylines, is just a fanboy created myth.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car.
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree. In fact the way this thread started is flawed. No car is flawless but to blame the GT-R for having transmission issues after significantly upping the power and constant track use is ridiculous. No car could handle that.

The reason the R34 could handle that abuse was because they were going around the Gentlemen's Agreement IMO and the parts for big performance were there but the car was limited electronically. I read in some tuning magazine a couple of years back that a LOT more HP could be squeezed out by a simple ECU change (I think it said the car afterwards was dynoed at 400 odd HP but don't take my word for it, my memory is foggy.). It's just something i read a long time ago and I can't comment on it's validity but I've heard it's true.

Either way, the new GT-R starts out with a large power output anyways and I personally can't see why they should put a transmission on the car that can handle significantly more power than they originally gave the car. With the factory power output, the transmission is perfect.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    It’s not supercar priced but it is not inexpensive. It is a performance car and it will be inevitably driven by some who want to use that performance. 12months from a gearbox from track punishment = how much from normal punishment?
    If a GM or Ford product professing to be a performance car had this issue you can expect it would be jumped on quickly and savagely.

Ps I like it.

yes, but 12 month at higher than rated power output and usage then you have tranny problem means its not Nissan didn't do it properly, its the user using it out of the specified terms. Thats why manufacturer put warranty terms on the contract. That's why modified cars gets their warranty void....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Yeah, there is no such thing as a flawless car.

BTW i think gtr's are pretty ugly, but they look hot in that 3/4 rear view.
    Damn straight, I shot this on the road to the Suzuka circuit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P4g4nite; 05-02-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Thread Information