Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Garage Lotus Extrema - 2009

UK Garage Lotus Extrema - 2009

UK Garage it's the official importer of brands like TVR, Noble, Radical and the likes. Previously, it was also the official importer for Lotus (afaik), but 3 or 4 years ago that role was taken a dealerships group, mainly selling MB cars and trucks.
    They took a Lotus Exige mk1, and started working on it. The main differences are a bodywork resembling the mk2 series, enlarged track and larger tires, and a 20 cm longer wheelbase. This modification has been required by the will of mounting the engine longitudinally, creating a transaxle scheme with the gearbox.
    the engine itself is no more the Toyota unit, but various options are available.
    Two LS3 engines (420 and 500 bhp), the LS7 (519 bhp) and the LS9 (649 bhp) from GM, with the first two engines good for an overall weight of 970 kg, while the LS9 will add 30 kg, but with a 0-60 time of 2.9 secs and 7 secs for the 0-100, top speed 200 mph.
    Still from GM, the turbo V6 2.8 liter, good for 300 or 350 bhp (overall weigh of 850 kg).
    Least bu not last, the Superlight options, include V8 light engines (95 kg) from Powertec: 2.6 liter and 360 bhp, 2.8 and 450 bhp or a 3.4 liter version good for 450 bhp. With these engines the weight is only 750 kg.
    Manual or sequential gearboxes are available.
    As standard it offers Koni's suspensions, Ohlins's as option, and brakes from AP (4 calipers). Some of the options are a full safety cage, fire extinguisher, digital instruments, and video recording system.
    Bodywork made of fiberglass or carbon fiber and kevlar.
    Road legal, if asked.

price from 66.000 euros taxes included, so considering Italins VAT's equivalent, base price is 55.000 euros before taxes.

just two pics at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 03-06-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Can you imagine one of those with a 450bhp V8, total weight of only 750 kilos and a Lotus chassis? Better acceleration than a Ferrari and better handling than, well, anything.

Oh my god. Love it Elise GT1 comes to mind.
    I allways thought the Elise/Exige lacked a charismatic engine. A longitudinal Powertec engine is perfect. Superlight, highrevving and powerfull. Would like to see that engine bay.
    This is the sexiest Elise/Exige IMHO. Love the rear end of pic 1. It's to rough design to be beautiful, but it's certainly aggressive
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

hmm any coments on how they "extend" thhe wheelbase ?
    You can't just cut and weld a bonded chassis and even rebonding isn't necessarily valid as the different leverage will make the bonding agent react differently.
    Am very worried this will delaminate into a hundred parts some time in fthe future

Any links Leon ????

Making thesekinds of mods to a Lotus is liek wanting to put a diesel in a Ferrari !
    Yes you can do it but WHY ?
    NO gain, all loss. Buy the right car to start with ... in this case a Noble

here is the link to their page, trough google translate.
    Translated version of http://www.ukgarage.it/dettaglio_news.php?hidden=115

their technicians are very good and expert, mainly from the Alfa Romeo's F1 and DTM teams, and they offer the maintenance on the car they sell, tuning and so on.
    then I don't know much more about them.

no words on how they increased the wheelbase, but I noticed that now it matches that of the GT1 car.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    Can you imagine one of those with a 450bhp V8, total weight of only 750 kilos and a Lotus chassis? Better acceleration than a Ferrari and better handling than, well, anything.
    how about an LS9 with 649 hp?
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    how about an LS9 with 649 hp?
    overkill, dunno how it would work on the small wheelbase

imo lotus' never needed more than 300-350hp tops.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    overkill, dunno how it would work on the small wheelbase

imo lotus' never needed more than 300-350hp tops.
    Well, there's need and then there's crazy fun. You don't need a lotus in the first place. I generally agree with you, but I can still see the attraction of the lightweight V8 option.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Well, there's need and then there's crazy fun. You don't need a lotus in the first place. I generally agree with you, but I can still see the attraction of the lightweight V8 option.
    I love the LS engines, but they just seem out of place in a Lotus. I don't really like the Toyota engine either though.
    I think at ~300hp the Lotus ceases to be fun and turns into a very fast very dangerous and serious car.
    I think a Lotus should not have power added, it should add lightness.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I love the LS engines, but they just seem out of place in a Lotus. I don't really like the Toyota engine either though.
    I think at ~300hp the Lotus ceases to be fun and turns into a very fast very dangerous and serious car.
    Well, I know a lot fo people are wanting a higher top speed for the more open tracks out there, which could be part of this. But really 300 is enough to satisfy me there. Some people just want a faster car, and there's not a whole lot you can do to add lightness in this instance, so it's easier to add power.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    You don't need a lotus in the first place.
    now you're just being silly
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Its as necessary as owning a 70's 911 and an army of Mini's and Triumphs!

hey, hey HEY ... careful there S-R

Well actualluy all right as long as by Triumph you don't mean the Herald

But yes, this is a prime case of TOO MUCH power. More will definately improve the straight line speed in most cases -- presuming weight is lower or equal. BUT as I said, what does it bring ? Just buy a Noble and be done with it and NOT modify a Lotus to try to be a Noble.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I think a car can't be too light.

IMO... the Lotus is as perfect as it can be nowadays.

There's barely any weight and it has enough power.

So, when I read something about a lotus extema with an LS9. I almost fell of my chair.
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

But isn't it supposed to be a racecar or trackday car primarily? To me it makes sense atleast with the 360 hp. With the added aero and probably slick tires, it should handle more power. For a roadcar it would probably be overpowered and be up there amongst Radical, Caparo, Atom 500 and Caterham Levante. I read now that it can be made road legal...

I think the GM engines are out of place, but the 2.6L Powertec engine follow the philosophy of the car. It saves weight over the Toyota unit and is more powerfull. A car like an Exige deserves a multi-cylinder roaring soundtrack!
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

Thread Information